Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

For All Of Mankind (1989) About the Apollo moon landings. If you are looking for a precise history of events this is not the movie for you! It is footage of the actual missions, but all jumbled up, even some Gemini space walk footage. All the narration is by the actual astronauts, no third persons. Some pretty spectacular film, even the ones where the lens was covered with Lunar dust. My favorite line was the one uttered by Pete Conrad, the third man to walk on the moon, "that may have been a small one for Neil, but that's a long one for me." Ironically, I now realize, if I had my choice, I would rather stay on the command modual circling the moon, think, only six men in all of history have circled the moon alone! I still can't believe there are people out there that don't believe we went to the moon! Incidentally, the flags only wave when the astronauts are putting them on the staff, the rest of the time they are motionless!
I was lucky enough to see this at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood (California) the first time. Definitely worth seeing, but I recall a moment when the screen was filled with the lunar landscape. Because of where I was seated it filled my line of sight, and it gave me a slight insight into what it must have been like to actually be standing on the moon seeing it in person. It really drove home Edwin Aldrin's description, "Magnificent desolation."

SurfGent

Suspended
Double indemnity , 1944 with Fred Macmurry and Barbara Stanwick. Watched it last night with my girlfriend. As she left for work this morning I grabbed her " I'm crazy about you Baby !"

SurfGent

Suspended
double-Indemnity.jpg

Double indemnity , 1944 with Fred Macmurry and Barbara Stanwick. Watched it last night with my girlfriend. As she left for work this morning I grabbed her " I'm crazy about you Baby !"

This movie deserves the reputation for greatness that it has. When I saw it recently, one of the things that stood out is what an incredible job Robinson does with his role - what a pro.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Home with a migraine, so watched The Untouchables on AMC. I have no idea why I've never seen it before (heard of it, yes, but why I waited until now to watch it, I couldn't tell you!). Great movie. I loved Sean Connery's character.

Ten years or so ago, on a cold rainy November Sunday I stopped in at a church which held a Latin Tridentine Mass , and realized it was the scene locale for the blood oath
Kevin Costner and Sean Connery took to get Al Capone. Connery apparently was so taken by the interior that he suggested the church be used for this particular scene.
I am embarrassed that I cannot recall the parish, locale, or the name of the order that staffed the site. The Latin, however, took me back to grammar school days.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Ten years or so ago, on a cold rainy November Sunday I stopped in at a church which held a Latin Tridentine Mass , and realized it was the scene locale for the blood oath
Kevin Costner and Sean Connery took to get Al Capone. Connery apparently was so taken by the interior that he suggested the church be used for this particular scene.
I am embarrassed that I cannot recall the parish, locale, or the name of the order that staffed the site. The Latin, however, took me back to grammar school days.

vhvwxl.jpg

Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica
2qbt85f.jpg

3121 West Jackson Blvd.

Roman Catholic basilica on west side of Chicago. Along with St. Hyacinth
and Queen of All Saints, one of only three churches in Illinois designated
by the Pope with the title of basilica.

Although I enjoyed the movie, here are some interesting details:
The Real Heroes Who Took Down Capone - Illinois Review

Last edited:
"Reunion in France," from 1942. Basically, a propaganda film with two big stars - John Wayne as a shot down pilot trying trying to escape occupied France and Joan Crawford as a once-wealthy French elite struggling to develop a moral response to occupation - that doesn't work well as the stars have no / zero / none / not an iota of chemistry and the propaganda speeches don't hide at all amidst the stilted dialogue. Other than seeing a very young Ava Gardner, there is not much to recommend in this movie.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"Reunion in France," from 1942. Basically, a propaganda film with two big stars - John Wayne as a shot down pilot trying trying to escape occupied France and Joan Crawford as a once-wealthy French elite struggling to develop a moral response to occupation - that doesn't work well as the stars have no / zero / none / not an iota of chemistry and the propaganda speeches don't hide at all amidst the stilted dialogue. Other than seeing a very young Ava Gardner, there is not much to recommend in this movie.

It's definitely a propaganda film, but I actually like it. Joan Crawford and John Wayne have no chemistry, I agree, but I think Crawford and Phillip Dorn do well together.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
For All Of Mankind (1989) About the Apollo moon landings. If you are looking for a precise history of events this is not the movie for you! It is footage of the actual missions, but all jumbled up, even some Gemini space walk footage. All the narration is by the actual astronauts, no third persons. Some pretty spectacular film, even the ones where the lens was covered with Lunar dust. My favorite line was the one uttered by Pete Conrad, the third man to walk on the moon, "that may have been a small one for Neil, but that's a long one for me." Ironically, I now realize, if I had my choice, I would rather stay on the command modual circling the moon, think, only six men in all of history have circled the moon alone! I still can't believe there are people out there that don't believe we went to the moon! Incidentally, the flags only wave when the astronauts are putting them on the staff, the rest of the time they are motionless!

One thing that had me wondering was when the astronaut placed the flag on the staff
on the moon surface.
The flag appears to be fluttering .

This complete film can be viewed on YouTube & is presented in segments.

Later, I found this link which gives an explanation.
Why Does the U.S. Flag on the Moon Have Ripples? - ABC News

Last edited:
One thing that had me wondering was when the astronaut placed the flag on the staff on the moon surface. The flag appears to be fluttering .

This complete film can be viewed on YouTube & is presented in segments.

Later, I found this link which gives an explanation.
Why Does the U.S. Flag on the Moon Have Ripples? - ABC News
Another part of the reason that the flag appears to be "fluttering" is because they attached a series of small weights along the bottom edge of the flag so that it would hang properly (or would have if Armstrong and Aldrin had been able to fully extend the telescoping arm that the top of the flag was attached to). Touch the flag or its support pole and those weights start swinging back and forth like a pendulum, giving the illusion that the flag is "flapping in the breeze".

By the way, the last line in that article is wrong. Armstrong and Aldrin placed the flag too close to the Lunar Module, and the force from the ascent stage lifting off knocked the flag down. After 47 years, it's probably buried under layers of moon dust.

It's definitely a propaganda film, but I actually like it. Joan Crawford and John Wayne have no chemistry, I agree, but I think Crawford and Phillip Dorn do well together.

I really wanted to like this film - and, in general, enjoy propaganda films like these - "Watch on the Rhine," "Mrs. Miniver," and "Mortal Storm" are some of my favorite "we are clearly manipulating your emotions to support the war effort" films, but this one felt flat, forced, heavy to me.

The "moral of the story" speeches were too obvious and, oddly, passionless. Even Crawford, whose acting talents I greatly respect, seemed unable to rise above the silly dialogue. She appeared, IMHO, a bit lost in the role, not knowing when to be very or mildly angry / scared / brave; instead, she seems to over play and underplayed her lines.

Some good real film clips - of the war, occupied France, etc. - interspersed with the obvious sets where my favorite parts.

And as you noted, Crawford and Wayne were so stiff with each others it was painful to watch.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I really wanted to like this film - and, in general, enjoy propaganda films like these - "Watch on the Rhine," "Mrs. Miniver," and "Mortal Storm" are some of my favorite "we are clearly manipulating your emotions to support the war effort" films, but this one felt flat, forced, heavy to me.

The "moral of the story" speeches were too obvious and, oddly, passionless. Even Crawford, whose acting talents I greatly respect, seemed unable to rise above the silly dialogue. She appeared, IMHO, a bit lost in the role, not knowing when to be very or mildly angry / scared / brave; instead, she seems to over play and underplayed her lines.

Some good real film clips - of the war, occupied France, etc. - interspersed with the obvious sets where my favorite parts.

And as you noted, Crawford and Wayne were so stiff with each others it was painful to watch.

I think I felt as you did when I first watched it; but then I watched it a few more times and it's grown on me. Sometimes I have to do that with films - watch it more than once to really decide how I feel about it. I remember the first time I watched Casablanca. I was singularly unimpressed. I didn't know what all the fuss was about. Granted, I watched it when I was in high school, but still. So years later, I watched it a couple of times and finally "got" it.

Did some movie watching catchup this weekend and viewed two brilliant movies and one pretty good. I posted a few days ago that I watched "Son of Saul" ....a brilliant piece of film making by a first time Hungarian director. Tough to watch but great film. Also saw "Mustang" a Turkish movie about 5 sisters. Again hard to watch but still a great movie. The third is "Legend" about the '60s British gangster brothers the Krays. Tom Hardy plays both brothers and his performance alone is worth the price of admission

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

From Here To Eternity (1953)

I’ve seen this film countless times & each time I have a different perspective.
Saw it again last night. I felt sad for the character portrayed by Deborah Kerr.
The scene at the beach reminds me of Marilyn.
Lovely lady with a wonderful laughter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner