Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Bertie Wooster said:
The Dam Busters - watched the DVD on Sunday afternoon.

Great stuff Bertie and a wonderful film. I'm hoping PJ does a good job with his remake. And for goodness sake I hope they don't go all PC on us and change the dog's name!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
I just caught "Children of Men" and loved it. What an amazing and disturbing piece of cinema. Incredible direction, great acting, and fun allusions to ponder.

I also caught "Little Miss Sunshine," which was a surprise delight. Steve Carell is always great in anything he is in.

Two of my favorite films of last year.

Children of Men was almost overwhelming in the theater, in a good way.

I love Steve Carell too--so much that I'm even thinking of seeing that new movie of his about the advice columnist. Looks subpar but not as bad as Evan Almighty (even Steve couldn't get me to see that one).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I finally saw Letters from Iwo Jima on a library DVD. Very, very good. Probably the best foreign-language film ever made by an American director. But I think I liked Flags of Our Fathers a bit more... (In any case, a stunning one-two punch for Clint Eastwood - geez, he's a national treasure!)

lyburnum

Practically Family
I just got back from going to see 'Control' at the cinema. I feel so depressed (though I knew that was coming). There were a lot of good points about it, but I feel it could have been better. I don't really feel like you got a sense of just how depressed and messed up Ian Curtis was by the end of it, or how destructive his relationship with Debbie was. Plus I found it really hard to keep track of time. Years seem to pass in days and days seemed to take years. Weird.

I also recently watched 'A Very Long Engagement'. It's a lot more serious than other Jean Pierre Jeunet films but enjoyable none the less. It still has the elements of discovery, mystery and indestructible love that are present in Amelie, and of course lots of sex (the French love sex). In fact there are quite a lot of parallels with Amelie - not just in that it has Audrey Tautou in it of course but the way some of the shots are set up. Mostly very depressing with little moments of humour but definitely a must see for fans of Jeunet.

I'm a big fan of Tautou's (although Da Vinci Code was terrible), so next I'd like to see 'He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not' (À la folie... pas du tout ) as it's supposed to be a very different role for her.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
We watched Scarface which was on the telly last night.

Truth be told it was the first time I have seen it. It was good and Pacino was brilliant but I don't think it's worth all the hype it has received.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Smithy said:
We watched Scarface which was on the telly last night.

Truth be told it was the first time I have seen it. It was good and Pacino was brilliant but I don't think it's worth all the hype it has received.

If you haven't seen the original 1933 release, you really oughta! ;) I think it's on DVD... might wanna check up on that.

My last movie I saw was "A Slight Case Of Murder" from 1938 staring Edward G. and Allen Jenkins... a great picture, it's rather funny if ya watch closely and savvy with the period lingo, you'll get a lot more out of it! lol, it's a riot that film!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
If you haven't seen the original 1933 release, you really oughta! ;) I think it's on DVD... might wanna check up on that.

Thanks FM. Heard about it but have never seen it, I'll try and hunt down a copy.

Edward

Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
Sure, Bill Murray is incredible, Jim Carrey is great and Adam Sandler did fine in his dramatic roles, but Steve Buscemi and David Arquette???

Buscemi has always been great in everything I've seen him in. The oddball outsiders he always plays are great characters, much more interesting than most hero-types to me. David Arquette, well..... he does comedy and pastiche well; I've not seen him in anything serious.

As for the use of American accents I guess I'm used to war films where the Germans speak German, the Poles speak Polish and so forth. In this film it was sort of confusing to tell if the Jewish prisoners were from Los Angeles or Warsaw.

I know what you mean. It seems to go in trends - I saw a bit of some war film or other the other night with a bunch of high ranking Waffen SS officers (grey uniforms, so Wehrmacht rather than Nazi party, yes?) in it - all speaking with Kensingtonian English accents. Sounded a bit odd! an accurate accent is preferable, but if a film is otherwsie well done, I can usually get past that. It's probably preferable to a really bad accent, though with the dialect coaches that are available these days, there's no reason why a great actor can't work on some sort of an accent well. The one reason I can think of that they might have gone down that route with regular American accents might have been to drive home the "these people were people just like us / could have been us" message, which has to be the most disturbing aspect of any historical consideration of the Holocaust.

With Shakespeare it's always been interpretive...no eyewitnesses left to tell us how the original actors spoke their roles.:rolleyes:

Ha, fair point. :)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Last night: Babe (the one about the cute pig...not Babe Ruth). Not a LOL film, but I never 'giggled' so much for any other film I've seen.:) Definitely a 10.:eusa_clap

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
Last night: Babe (the one about the cute pig...not Babe Ruth). Not a LOL film, but I never 'giggled' so much for any other film I've seen.:) Definitely a 10.:eusa_clap

That the one with John Goodman, Quigley? I always wondered about that version since I generally really like Goodman (His appearance in The Big Lebowski made me forgive him for participating in the truly abominable Frosty Returns)

I was flipping through the channels last night and found myself watching the uber-manipulative One True Thing, which I actually saw in the theater when it was released for reasons lost to me now. A deeply flawed film but at times moving.

Feraud

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
(His appearance in The Big Lebowski made me forgive him for participating in the truly abominable Frosty Returns)
He can be forgiven for almost any performance based on TBL. :)

Saw Ghost Rider. Horrible.

This weekend I will try to see either Michael Clayton or Eastern Promises.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
That the one with John Goodman, Quigley? I always wondered about that version since I generally really like Goodman (His appearance in The Big Lebowski made me forgive him for participating in the truly abominable Frosty Returns)

Nope...the little piggy 'Babe.'

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Watched "Scream of Fear" (1961) today with Susan Strasberg.
It was a B&W Hammer Film & I loved the suspense & twist in it.
It was on TCM. If it should come out again try to catch it.

PLOT SUMMARY
After narrowly surviving an accident in which she nearly drowned, the wheelchair bound Penny Appleby returns home to live with her widowed step-mother Jane on the French Riviera. She begins to question her sanity after several times seeing her father's corpse around the house and its grounds, and enlists the help of the friendly chauffeur Bob while attending Doctor Gerrard acts in a suitably sinister manner. No one is who they seem in this tale of intrigue and suspense. Written by R Lindsay

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I made the terrible mistake of watching "The Avengers" remake which was on telly last night. Only thing I liked was Steed's Bentley and his navy pinstripe suit.

In fact it was such drivel I feel asleep half way through and thankfully (and more constructively) slept through the second half.

What a travesty to the wonderful old series that we grew up with.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Nope, but I've seen it before - a pretty disturbing film.

Speaking of disturbing films, I showed my teenage kids Pan's Labyrinth last night. What a great, unique, beautiful and horrific film: I liked it even better on second viewing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy