Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Christy

One of the Regulars
I saw The Princess and the Frog today. I enjoyed it. I thought it was cute, but I agree with Lady Day, they could have made the prince a better character. I loved the animation and I hope that Disney continues to make movies in their classic style.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I tried to watch The Pink Panther (2006) this morning. I'm deeply embarrassed for Messrs. Martin and Kline.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
42nd Street, off of TCM. Hadn't seen it in years. Now that I'm grown up, it's a different movie altogether.

The "I'm Young and Healthy" number goes completly out of control.

It's remarkable that all the "backstage" cliches are found here on celluoid for the first time. If one was aware, one would think this was cliche-ridden; for musicals, the cliches made their first appearances here.

Maguire

Practically Family
Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. If you like terry Gilliam, you'll like this movie. If not, you won't. Its a great Gilliam work, but its as usual, exhausting and overindulgent in length. But that is fine with me.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Finally, at the ripe old age of 36, I watched "Casablanca" for the first time in my life.

It was great! Awesome picture quality on the blu-ray rental too. Bogart's hat is simply amazing.. it seems beat to h**l yet somehow very stylish.

But as a kid and even early adult ive ignorded classics, so its kind of cool that they are getting the HD and restoration treatment now. I can enjoy them in high quality for the first time!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Last movie I watched? Well, that would be Avatar, currently playing in theaters. I enjoyed it, and I have to say, it is a good film in its own right, but it doesn't compare to the classics. Maybe in thirty or forty years, it will be a well-regarded film by most critics, but even though it is popular now, especially with the masses, that does not make it a classic. It did employ a good use of CGI, and had an engaging plot. However, I found some of the cursing to be rather tasteless and unnecessary, as it did nothing for either the moment, or the film.

Overall, I rate Director Cameron's Avatar 8/10. Good film.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Watched 'Grey Gardens' (2009) with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange based on the true lives of an eccentric mother and daughter made well-known by the documentary made on them 30 years ago. They were aunt and first cousin of Jackie Kennedy, but very eccentric and lived in squalor inside their family East Hampton mansion.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I thought they did an outstanding job on Grey Gardens. And though Jessica Lange won the Emmy, I think Drew Barrymore's performance was even better. (Actually, it was one of the few times when I thought she was actually performing, vs. coasting on charisma and adorability... not that there's anything wrong with that.)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Just watched Goodfellas, by Martin Scorsese. It's a good film, but I wouldn't quite say it's as good as The Godfather, to which it's often compared to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot