Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Some people get really irritated with all the referencing in Fargo and America Horror Story, particularly when a lot of the audience isn't aware of it. I'm not sure where that comes from, elitism or protectionist tendencies? I don't see the problem with it if it is done well, and in those two examples, they're done really well.

An episode of Hogan's Heroes.

Funny, my girlfriend and I watched an episode last night. The Germans were testing a miniature remote-controlled tank at Stalag 13 and Hogan and his crew had to make the test a failure. Beyond all the unbelievable things one has to accept when watching HH (which I do), one had to accept that this little tank - smaller than the size of a modern day smart car - even if remote controlled, would have any battlefield significance. All that said, it was a fun episode.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I got talked into watchin' the "live" TV version of "The Wiz". I wanted to hate it.... lord "The Sound of Music" was so so and "Peter Pan" was akin to torture... BUT this time they hired folks that could actually SING for all the principal parts. Only the lead was an unknown... In a word it was marvelous... Catch the replay...

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Funny, my girlfriend and I watched an episode last night. The Germans were testing a miniature remote-controlled tank at Stalag 13 and Hogan and his crew had to make the test a failure. Beyond all the unbelievable things one has to accept when watching HH (which I do), one had to accept that this little tank - smaller than the size of a modern day smart car - even if remote controlled, would have any battlefield significance. All that said, it was a fun episode.

Haha! I love that episode! We have all the entire series on DVD and I have lost count of how many times we've watched it. Never gets old.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
After a crazy busy day at work, I had a Supernatural marathon last night. Started watching Season 5 because I haven't seen all of that season yet. I have watched Seasons 9, 10, and am current on Season 11, but I've never watched the entire series straight through.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
After a crazy busy day at work, I had a Supernatural marathon last night. Started watching Season 5 because I haven't seen all of that season yet. I have watched Seasons 9, 10, and am current on Season 11, but I've never watched the entire series straight through.

If memory serves season 3 was a cracker. I'll have some catching up to do on returning home next month, but loved the season 11 start.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Some of the guys in the wardroom are binge watching things like "Vice". A saw a couple, interesting the places they get to, but depressing in the end. I also saw about twenty minutes of "Narcos". I'd heard it was good, but the genre is just something I can't get into.

I just finished a marathon of The Killing. Have now completed two seasons and there are two to go. It is set in Seattle but filmed in my home town of Vancouver so it is fun to watch and spot the streets, houses, etc that I recognize. It is well written and really well acted. The plots are interesting complicated but do not stretch credulity to the breaking point.

I just finished a marathon of The Killing. Have now completed two seasons and there are two to go. It is set in Seattle but filmed in my home town of Vancouver so it is fun to watch and spot the streets, houses, etc that I recognize. It is well written and really well acted. The plots are interesting complicated but do not stretch credulity to the breaking point.
I never finished the series, but I really enjoyed every episode I saw. The acting and writing were top notch. I was surprised that it did not get the love that I felt it deserved.
:D

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The acting and writing were top notch.
I think this is where many differ and where I side, which certainly contributed to dwindling viewership and cancellation. I found it both poorly acted and horribly written, especially horribly written with every cheap, stock, disingenuous crime/mystery maneuver to simply suck up 12-episode season space. I speak of the US version, not the Danish one. It did get high ratings at the various sites (IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes), so what do I know.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The new Supergirl series on CBS, which has been pretty good. Not everything in it works by a long shot, but the lead actress does a surprisingly good job of making it believable.

Last night's episode included the show's best scene so far (all three recaps I read this morning agreed), in which a powerless (after exhausting her powers in a mega-fight in the previous episode, and not yet having recharged) Supergirl faced down a gunman in a store robbery, entirely vulnerable to being shot and killed... But knowing that heroism is about courage and conviction, not strength. It was beautifully staged and absolutely on-point. The kind of scene I keep hoping for and not seeing in other superhero shows (I'm looking at you, Agents of SHIELD!)

The series also upped its game by revealing that one of its supporting characters is actually... J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter!

The new Supergirl series on CBS, which has been pretty good. Not everything in it works by a long shot, but the lead actress does a surprisingly good job of making it believable.

Last night's episode included the show's best scene so far (all three recaps I read this morning agreed), in which a powerless (after exhausting her powers in a mega-fight in the previous episode, and not yet having recharged) Supergirl faced down a gunman in a store robbery, entirely vulnerable to being shot and killed... But knowing that heroism is about courage and conviction, not strength. It was beautifully staged and absolutely on-point. The kind of scene I keep hoping for and not seeing in other superhero shows (I'm looking at you, Agents of SHIELD!)

The series also upped its game by revealing that one of its supporting characters is actually... J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter!

I quit the series part of the way into episode two as I thought the structural story was an unrepairable mess, but the woman playing Supergirl was killing it. As you said, she brought a believability to the role - which is incredibly hard to do. Glad she's still carrying it and that they are giving her and the series better material.

DNO

One Too Many
Fargo. Penultimate episode of season 2. I usually don't appreciate the split screen approach but it works in this show quite well. One of the best series I've seen in years. I'm going to miss it but at least it's been renewed for a third season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner