Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

We did as promised and re-watched episode one, and are glad we did. We picked up on so much detail we'd missed the first time around. We then saw episode two (series two). Man, what a brilliant show is Peaky Blinders!

My wife is dumbfounded however that there are only six episodes each series. It is a bit of a drag...
Exactly how we felt. We watched no more than two episodes a night so as to prolong the joy. Season three is to air this May, but why such a long wait? I worry that maybe the show is on thin ice; not pulling in enough viewers. :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Love It Or List It Too. I would have listed it, in order to get the house on the water! then a gain, I don't have over three million dollars, even in Canadian money!:(

Edward

Bartender
Exactly how we felt. We watched no more than two episodes a night so as to prolong the joy. Season three is to air this May, but why such a long wait? I worry that maybe the show is on thin ice; not pulling in enough viewers. :D

It's a cultural thing. Whereas an American show might run for twenty-four episodes a season, few British shows will see that many episodes in their entirety. Possibly partly a budget thing historically, or fewer channels or dome other factor, but it's now entrenched culturally.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
It's a cultural thing. Whereas an American show might run for twenty-four episodes a season, few British shows will see that many episodes in their entirety. Possibly partly a budget thing historically, or fewer channels or dome other factor, but it's now entrenched culturally.

Fawlty Towers, oft cited as the greatest/one of the greatest Britcoms ever - twelve episodes made and aired four years apart (6 in 1975 and, post divorce between Cleese and Booth, 6 in 1979).

Thank you for that information. That also puts at a little more ease as to the hopeful future of Peaky Blinders.
:D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Part one of Ken Burns' "Jackie Robinson."

A lot of this felt like Burns found a big box of outtakes from his "Baseball" series of the early nineties and decided he had enough to do a whole new film, but it's still an absorbing look at the life of the first black man to play major-league baseball in the 20th Century. It's not a film *about* baseball, it's about Robinson the man and the overall trajectory of his life as a window thru which to examine American race relations.

That being so, I was disappointed by a couple of things in the first part. Though I was pleased he mentioned the Daily Worker's role in pressuring baseball to integrate, he twists the timeline a bit to make it seem that the Worker jumped on the bandwagon in the postwar years. In fact, the paper had been campaigning for integration as far back as the mid-1930s, and did so unrelentingly. There was no bandwagoning about it. Second, I was rather astonished that he made no mention at all of Eddie Stanky, the Dodger infielder who told Robinson to his face that he didn't like him, didn't want him on the team, but would play with him because they were teammates -- and who became the first white Dodger to publicly stand up for Robinson in the face of the racial abuse he was taking from other teams. The film spends a considerable amount of time dismissing the myth that Pee Wee Reese embraced Robinson on the field in 1947 -- but none at all on the story of Stanky's sharp change in attitude, which is unimpeachably true.

All that said, there are many good points to the film, the most important of which is Rachel Robinson's central role in the narrative. Jackie Robinson always insisted that she was a vital element in his success on and off the field -- their marriage was very much an equal partnership -- and Rachel Robinson herself confirms this thruout her segments in the film.

The film continues tonight, and will get into Robinson's post-baseball life, and his relationship with the postwar Civil Rights Movement.

Feraud

Bartender
Ain't done with it yet. I'm REALLY not liking that beanpole they tapped to portray Electra. She can't act, her accent is unbearable as well as borderline unintelligible. In a word.... she stinks!

Worf
Agreed!! The only issue I have with season 2 of Daredevil is the casting of Electra. The actress Elodie Yung is completely awful. She cannot deliver a line to save her life. Her cheesy acting takes the realistic grittiness of the show and turns it into one of those silly CW shows like Arrow or The Flash. I've tried my best to tune her out when she is on screen.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The last four episodes of Season Two of Downton Abbey. I'd never seen that season before, having joined the show late in, I think, Season Three. The scenes of WWI were well done, and how it affected everyone back home as well. And I liked the Spanish flu leaving its mark on the Downton characters. Cons: The subplot with "Patrick Gordon" (I won't say any more for fear of spoilers) seemed far too rushed, and pointless, unless they will bring him back in Season Three.

Zoe (Lavinia Swire) Boyle may be the next Nicole Kidman. That is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats