Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The new Top Gear. Not sure I care for the new presenters much. I much preferred the two host that fallowed on ExtraGear!

The new Top Gear. Not sure I care for the new presenters much. I much preferred the two host that fallowed on ExtraGear!
I never thought I'd see the day when Top Gear U.S. was more entertaining than Top Gear U.K.. Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc might eventually find their way and make the show theirs, but I thought their first episode was rather lackluster. And the Star in a Rally-Cross Car bit was awful.

Three episodes into "The Night Manager" and am very impressed. It feels a bit like the original three James Bond movies (my favorites of the entire Bond series): the hero is very human, he infiltrates the villain's world and interact with the villain on a very personal level, the action scenes are infrequent, not over-the-top and genuinely advance the story. It's story telling that feels almost like it could actually happen - like the first three Bond movies - and not like now where Bond is, basically, a superhero with a lot of angst.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Binge watched M. Knight Sillyman's "Wayward Pines" . 11 episodes in two nights. With all my usual viewing fare in Summer hiatus I'll be watching a lot of these weird little 10 episode filler series. I think I'll try "The Americans" next.

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Three episodes into "The Night Manager" and am very impressed. It feels a bit like the original three James Bond movies (my favorites of the entire Bond series): the hero is very human, he infiltrates the villain's world and interact with the villain on a very personal level, the action scenes are infrequent, not over-the-top and genuinely advance the story. It's story telling that feels almost like it could actually happen - like the first three Bond movies - and not like now where Bond is, basically, a superhero with a lot of angst.

Totally agree. It's very well done.

Totally agree. It's very well done.

Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie are doing an outstanding job (no surprise - both are fantastic) and Elizabeth Debicki is bringing depth and nuance to what could have been - in the hands of a lesser actress - the "obligatory pretty blond girl" role. Also enjoying Olivia Colman as the handler - she too is taking a standard role and making it better.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie are doing an outstanding job (no surprise - both are fantastic) and Elizabeth Debicki is bring depth and nuance to what could have been - in the hands of a lesser actress - the "obligatory pretty blond girl" role. Also enjoying Olivia Colman as the handler - she too is taking a standard role and making it better.

Yes! I love how Laurie and Hiddleston tangle with each other. A battle of wits, indeed.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My NAZI Legacy. A very interesting documentary. Talking to two sons of prominent NAZIs, and how they have dealt with that legacy! It's easy to forget that there are still children of these men still alive. I could not imagine what I would feel if I found out the man I loved as my father was a monster?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A couple of episodes of What's My Car Worth. Love how the bidding on the Ferrari started at one million dollars!

Finished "The Night Manager," and while I could quibble about a plot flaw or two, overall this is an outstanding mini-series. As mentioned earlier, it is, IMHO, what Bond movies should be like and what a modern version of the first three Bond movies would look like. While I enjoy the Daniel Craig Bond films, they are action adventure movies wrapped around a by-the-numbers angsty spy narrative.

"The Night Manager," was more classic spy movie: the intelligence agency needs an inside man to expose and capture a slippery, smart, large-scale bad guy (but not a gross caricature of a bad guy) - the spy gets inside the organization, matches wits with the evil genius and a game of spy chess - mainly intelligence not action driven - occurs. I'd love the writers and director of the next Bond film to watch this series.

And the hero isn't racked with guilt and angst all the time - sometimes, he even seems to be enjoying himself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24