Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Question - is anyone watching/going to watch Feed the Beast? It is being recorded for me while I'm away on duty.

Looks like fun, and it'll be good to see David Schwimmer in something besides Friends and BoB.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Peaky Blinders Series 3 is tremendous; the writing gets better and better. The Beeb have just announced two more series; I'm hoping they can keep it going until WW2 breaks out. That would feel like a logical time for them to round off Tommy's story. Shades of Michael Corleone and Jackson Teller in the character, in that it's a criminal attempting to take his organisation 'straight'. At this point I genuinely don't know if he'll succeed.

Two more series would be great and I quite agree Edward about finishing at WWII, not sure I want to see Tommy become a spiv! And in reality half of the Shelby manor would have been bombed like crazy during the war although most of the back to backs were there until the late 60's early 70's, I remember being taken down Aston as a child and seeing the houses being demolished.

The roof tops of the factory's on Castle Bromwich still had camo paint on until the 90's you could see it from the M6 ;-)

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Question - is anyone watching/going to watch Feed the Beast? It is being recorded for me while I'm away on duty.
I watched the first episode because I'll give anything on AMC a chance. I didn't really care for the cadence or the story. It feels and looks like an NBC drama, and in my opinion, each major network has a look and feel to its programming that is distinct. It didn't come off as movie-like, like Into the Badlands or Preacher, and it didn't come off as upper echelon TV like Mad Men or something on HBO. The premise is weak and feels like I've been there before. Cashing in on the fanfare of cooking reality TV shows in a lazy way. I'll give it a couple more episodes, but it did not impress.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
A neat little episode of The Rifleman. As a favor to his dying neighbor Jacob, Lucas (Chuck Connors) travels 2 days to another town to bring back Jacob's new and much-younger wife (Diana Millay), an actress he met in St. Louis, so he can see her once more before he dies. She turns out to be a real piece of work, as we'd say today, and doesn't undergo a change of heart or learn much of anything. But in exchange for his help, Jacob has deeded a piece of property to Lucas; and Lucas, who told Jacob he didn't accept pay for doing a favor, nevertheless admits the idea of profiting from the favor had crossed his mind. As he tells his son Mark, he realized he has flaws too.

Story was credited to Connors himself. Good stuff -- as, I've come to realize, Rifleman usually was.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Feed the Beast e2. I don't care about any of the characters, and the story is banal. The druggie chef and eventual girlfriend are horribly acted on top of it. Gladis and the kid actor deserve so much better.

Finally get back to Blacklist and watched three episodes (5-7, I think) in row last night. The season started a bit slow, but is picking up steam now. While several characters are good, this is James Spader's show - he is the reason to watch.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The season finale of The Americans. Wow. Just wow. TV drama at its best.

And despite its terrible ratings and distressing lack of Emmy nominations, it has been renewed for two final seasons, so there's plenty more to come!
Are the ratings terrible? I guess that makes some sense. It's story and character driven, especially the further we get into it. There's not a lot of bombastic ceremony or sensationalism within it. A tiny bit of traditional TV audience manipulation, but far below the normal amount. I can see why your common viewer wouldn't know what to do with it. They aren't having their senses constantly tickled. Good story and quality acting isn't enough these days, though they remain an anomaly. As for the Emmy thing, that's common. John Hamm is a more recent example. Don't give a great job of acting an award, and then throw them a bone on their way out. These award associations think that saves face, but it just makes them look like jerks, and lost jerks at that.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I was watching Bleak House over the last couple of evenings while on duty in Kingston, Ontario. Gillian Anderson, Anna Maxwell Martin, Dennis Lawson and Charles Dance at their best.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I was watching Bleak House over the last couple of evenings while on duty in Kingston, Ontario. Gillian Anderson, Anna Maxwell Martin, Dennis Lawson and Charles Dance at their best.
I tuned in to that in early '06 out of curiosity about Gillian Anderson, and discovered 6 hours of what TV can do at its best. I've never read the novel, but this seemed to be a faithful adaptation with marvelous casting and characterization. And it reminded me that Inspector Bucket, as a fictional detective, followed Poe's creation of the detective story as we know it by only a few years. Dickens and Poe were (partially) contemporaries, and Dickens was fascinated by the new genre Poe had created.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay