Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Although it never has been able to completely fill that gap. I have Deadwood ranked only behind Boardwalk Empire. Peaky Blinders is coming up quickly behind them. We will probably wait until next week to watch Hell on Wheels so as to have approximately two hours of viewing fun.
:D

We're gagging to watch Hell on Wheels, but we're waiting for the disks to come out as we missed last year's "first half of the current last season".

We have Peaky Blinders ahead of Boardwalk Empire, and we worship BE. PB is just that good, and again, we're gagging to be able to watch the next (current) series.

I also found out another favourite was/is in fact available to me - Penny Dreadful. It is shown on one of our movie channels, so I'm investigating if they're repeating earlier episodes of the current season.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Three more episodes of Jekyll and Hyde, still catching up from my deployment.

This is getting really good, I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about it this side of the pond (CBC broadcast it in Canada).

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Game of Thrones. Decent episode. I can really do without the slapstick dialog. Sorry for saying that yet again, but I cannot stand it. Have to give them credit on The Mountain. Without much new story and resting on what they previously built, I'm sure they're tempted to abuse the potential of The Mountain and an over the top cool violence monster factor. They've shown some restraint. Good for them. They showed similar restraint by not having a huge Dragon Mother entrance. Good for them. That whole deal with Arya was anticlimactic. I didn't care much for how they wrapped it up. It ended how we all knew it was going to end, but in some ways, they didn't earn it. They teased it. They hinted at it. But earned it? I don't know.

I agree with your points, although I did wish to see The Mountain squash and eviscerate a little more. I wonder if he, like his brother, has a role to play in "the great war to come". Gawd how many years before that finally takes place? Does this show have a 7 or 10 year arc? I don't know how much more I can take. I never liked Sansa and I'm beginning to like her even less as time goes on. She was a privileged little snit before Ramsey tortured her and she still is now. "Come fight for me because I said so...." Does she have any idea how much the world has changed since she lost her Pappy? There are DRAGONS flying around now fer goodness sake!!!! As for Arya... you're right, she didn't earn it. Nothing she did up to that point led me to believe she could kill her tormentor (who even said as much) and then we don't even see the payoff! You gonna tease a fight... SHOW THE FIGHT!!!!

Worf

We're gagging to watch Hell on Wheels, but we're waiting for the disks to come out as we missed last year's "first half of the current last season".

We have Peaky Blinders ahead of Boardwalk Empire, and we worship BE. PB is just that good, and again, we're gagging to be able to watch the next (current) series.

I also found out another favourite was/is in fact available to me - Penny Dreadful. It is shown on one of our movie channels, so I'm investigating if they're repeating earlier episodes of the current season.
Penny Dreadful is right up there for us. It is so well done and a lot of fun. Another show that I really enjoyed, but did not get the love it deserved was The Bridge. It only lasted two seasons, but was one of the better shows around.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Our Zoo. PBS airing BBC series. A good one for the kids. It smelled a very tiny bit of Candleshoe and that era of fantastic children movies, but without the magic. A good feel and something I can see leaving an impression on a youngin that doesn't involve all the other merchandised and sold souls nonsense with which they disease children. A purity of sorts.

Preacher. Remember when Jackie Earle Haley and Christopher Makepeace were two of the it kids in Hollywood? Often in the After School Specials and Saturday morning movies? My Bodyguard is a classic. Great cast and story. Jackie Earle Haley was always a creepy lad, so him being the delinquent and troublemaker was apropos. He still strikes me as trashy, but in certain roles, he is perfection. I like seeing him in Preacher, and I have high hopes this is just one of those roles. Tulip is growing on me.

Game of Thrones. One more thing...they can't leave this quasi-Christian Inquisition/Crusades and High Sparrow arc soon enough. I'm so very BORED with everything about it. I assume they think they've twisted and manipulated it enough to be interesting, but every time we go back to the city, I feel like I'm watching yet another crappy biblical interpretation on the History Channel. May it please end with this season?!

Last edited:
Dug "Wayward Pines" a great deal. However it along with "The Strain" have these "anatomically neutered" thingy's running around. No women, no children, just Ken dolls runnin' and leapin' like crazy!

Worf
Enjoyed The Strain the trilogy in book form, but found the series to be just okay. Although it did seem to be picking up again in the second season, I stopped watching it. I keep intending to go back to it at some point. Wayward Pines is entertaing enough although the ending to the first season annoyed me. I enjoy the Twin
Peaks feeling to it.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Enjoyed The Strain the trilogy in book form, but found the series to be just okay. Although it did seem to be picking up again in the second season, I stopped watching it.
The Strain TV series was much better the second season, but it still wasn't anything fantastic. They were smart to invest more time in character, because the story isn't that interesting. It would be beneficial to the series if they would explore the psychological effect of the situation, somewhat like they have in The Walking Dead. It needs greater dimension than how they've shown it. (I've never read the books, so maybe I'm asking for something that isn't there)

EngProf

Practically Family
Dug "Wayward Pines" a great deal. However it along with "The Strain" have these "anatomically neutered" thingy's running around. No women, no children, just Ken dolls runnin' and leapin' like crazy!

Worf
I guess I'm being lazy, but can you give a capsule summary discussing what these two shows are about? The names don't convey much information. Thanks

The Strain TV series was much better the second season, but it still wasn't anything fantastic. They were smart to invest more time in character, because the story isn't that interesting. It would be beneficial to the series if they would explore the psychological effect of the situation, somewhat like they have in The Walking Dead. It needs greater dimension than how they've shown it. (I've never read the books, so maybe I'm asking for something that isn't there)
The characters were much more interesting and a lot less annoying in a the books. A lot more depth all the way around. The acting and directing isn't as good as it needs to be to pull off a show like this. It has its moments, but not enough to spur me on to watch it right now. It's kind and f how I feel about Daredevil. I was a big fan of the comic as a kid; especially during the Frank Miller runand even in more recent years. I really want to like the show a whole lot, but find myself annoyed by Foggy and Karen enough that I haven't yet made it through season two.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I guess I'm being lazy, but can you give a capsule summary discussing what these two shows are about? The names don't convey much information. Thanks

Welp... In a nutshell "The Strain" is about an ancient vampire's attempt to convert/take over the world through his progeny. Think of it as Salem's Lot on steroids. Of course he's opposed by a rag-tag bunch of vampire hunters and SOMETIMES the authorities. The new wrinkle is the part rich, moneyed people play in furthering his nefarious schemes.

"Wayward Pines" is an "ark" (as in Noah's) story about folks in our time being kidnaped, suspended in sleep and then re-awakened in a small town called, you guessed it, Wayward Pines. Seems a scientist foresaw ecological disaster on the horizon and decided to freeze the best and the brightest for future efforts to save humanity. Of course the only portion of humanity left is inside this fortified and electrified little hamlet. A hamlet that is ruled alternatively by a megalomaniacal despot at first.... and is currently run by his Hitler youth progeny. Meanwhile, outside the fence the bald, neutered nasties are lurking.

Worf

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
All our favorites are done for the season, with the exception of Person of Interest. Consequently, we've been enjoying Cops Reloaded, and a couple of episodes of Young Justice, season 2. The Missus is all caught up on Blindside. We noodle around on Netflix and Amazon for another Dr. Thorne-type series.

EngProf

Practically Family
Welp... In a nutshell "The Strain" is about an ancient vampire's attempt to convert/take over the world through his progeny. Think of it as Salem's Lot on steroids. Of course he's opposed by a rag-tag bunch of vampire hunters and SOMETIMES the authorities. The new wrinkle is the part rich, moneyed people play in furthering his nefarious schemes.

"Wayward Pines" is an "ark" (as in Noah's) story about folks in our time being kidnaped, suspended in sleep and then re-awakened in a small town called, you guessed it, Wayward Pines. Seems a scientist foresaw ecological disaster on the horizon and decided to freeze the best and the brightest for future efforts to save humanity. Of course the only portion of humanity left is inside this fortified and electrified little hamlet. A hamlet that is ruled alternatively by a megalomaniacal despot at first.... and is currently run by his Hitler youth progeny. Meanwhile, outside the fence the bald, neutered nasties are lurking.

Worf
Thanks! I think I'll pass on the vampire show but the science fiction aspects of the other show make it worth a look. The network - as far as I know - has never publicized it as SF, and as I said, the name conveys no useful information.
Sounds like a portion of the plot is taken from "Walking Dead", but that's OK since I'm a WD fan.
If it's on Netflix I'll give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou