Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As someone who went from playing one sport to another their entire adolescent and teen life (and I played, not sat on benches, which is meant to imply I enjoyed it and had decent aptitude for it), who now watches little sport and is a male in a sports dominated culture and cannot escape it, who knows almost nothing of Curry, I've grown to be icked out by LeBron. I don't care for how he speaks, for how he carries himself, or care for anything about him the media has shared. I'd love to not have an opinion, but I'm not sure how you do that in our culture, so I do. At the same time, I also recognize this guy has been coddled his entire life. He hasn't had a normal life, so we cannot expect him to act normal, to show humility, or to have anything other than his massive ego. Sports doesn't teach that by nature, but many think it does. Wrong. That's about coaching and mentoring, and if you aren't lucky enough to have a coach like that (most aren't, and fewer can probably handle a coddled talent and ego like LeBron), then sport will not automatically teach you humility or keep your immaturity in check. Then they carry those things into adulthood. It's still an ugly sight, but it is also understandable. You don't grow up in such a bubble and then come out rounded or in a normal range. And man, the NBA is as manipulated as the WWE. It's not sport, but entertainment. Yuck.

Errr.... single parent household, passed around kid in Akron Ohio (about as depressed a "Rust Belt" city as there is).... "Coddled" is NOT he word I'd use for his upbringing. Straight from High School to the NBA.... not perfect but a man doing "man's work" while his peers were out chasin' cheerleaders. No scandals on or off the court. Still you're entitled to dislike him... but I suggest reading up on him a bit BEFORE you start labeling him.

Worf

Errr.... single parent household, passed around kid in Akron Ohio (about as depressed a "Rust Belt" city as there is).... "Coddled" is NOT he word I'd use for his upbringing. Straight from High School to the NBA.... not perfect but a man doing "man's work" while his peers were out chasin' cheerleaders. No scandals on or off the court. Still you're entitled to dislike him... but I suggest reading up on him a bit BEFORE you start labeling him.

Worf
High school basketball games on pay-per-view. Pressure like no other player before and he has consistently delivered. Team wins when he with them and lose when he is not. A great player who can and does carry a team. Scrutinized since his teen years. Nit picked as the media will do. Not my favorite team or player by any means. Would have rather seen the Warriors win. He deserves what he has worked so hard for so long. LeBron is the the greatest since Jordan.
:D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I don't see this at all. DS9 was explicitly devised to be anti-Roddenberry Trek, purposefully breaking most of his TNG rules (like "no conflicts between our regular cast, the best of humanity has moved beyond petty disputes") and taking a far darker worldview than the essential optimism for the future that was central to both earlier series. The producers literally waited until Rodenberry was dying to create the series, to get out from under the relentless idealism of TNG, a series over which Rodenberry (initially) had the most control. (While he obviously had enormous input on TOS, he was continually compromising with NBC, Desilu, sponsors, censors, etc., throughout its run. Flush with the success of TOS reruns and the feature films, TNG represented his attempt to make Trek his way.)
Took me forever to figure out what TOS and TNG meant, not a Trecky. DS9 was more cerebral, which was the big complaint with The Cage, and why the franchise almost never made it off the ground. So the original series became more of a western in space, sometimes literally! Though, they did get away with remaking The Cage, and of course Errand Of Mercy. To me, the reason DS9 did not do well is, it was for thinking people, and most Americans want simple shoot em up bang bang, the good guy wins.

...Though, they did get away with remaking The Cage...

My guess is they pushed the remixed "The Cage" out there because studios where like the rest of America in those days - very little went to waste. So once the show was up and running, it made sense to capitalize on all the film they already had shot. And kudos to them for a devising a creative wrap to do so.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Took me forever to figure out what TOS and TNG meant, not a Trecky. DS9 was more cerebral, which was the big complaint with The Cage, and why the franchise almost never made it off the ground. So the original series became more of a western in space, sometimes literally! Though, they did get away with remaking The Cage, and of course Errand Of Mercy. To me, the reason DS9 did not do well is, it was for thinking people, and most Americans want simple shoot em up bang bang, the good guy wins.

Well I'm a Trekker - I watched from the very first broadcast in 1966 - and while "The Cage" pilot was indeed rejected by NBC for being "too cerebral", the "Wagon Train to the stars" concept of the show was baked in from the very first story treatment. The show wasn't explicitly dumbed down in the second pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and the subsequent series, and for that matter, viewed today, "The Cage" doesn't seem all that much more "cerebral" than "Where No Man Has Gone Before". Trek had intelligence and action in fairly equal measure from day one.

And Fading Fast, "The Cage" was revised into the two-part "The Menagerie" for two reasons. One was indeed, there was already usable footage to make up half the two-parter when properly framed. The other was that the series required so many time-intensive optical effects that they reached a point in the first season where they were barely finishing the episodes in time to get the final prints made by airtime. Half the opticals required for "The Menagerie" - in the "Cage" footage - were already completed, so it was a way to catch up.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Houdini & Doyle. (Don't judge me. lol) It's nice to see Michael Westen (yes, that's his real name) starring in something, despite the stupid haircut.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Top Gear. Was the Orangutan, [AKA Jeremy] really fired for shoving an assistant? I am wondering if they were all doing so many other shows, so they just needed a way out.

Top Gear. Was the Orangutan, [AKA Jeremy] really fired for shoving an assistant?
Not quite. From what I've read, he was fired for punching one of the show's producers (who was later treated at a hospital) and for allegedly calling him a "lazy Irish [expletive deleted]". Also, technically he wasn't "fired"; his contract expired shortly after the incident, and the BBC refused to renew it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters