Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Edward

Bartender
I'm watching virtually nil television as it comes out now. I occasionally stumble over something good on the BBC iPlayer, though sometimes I miss. Since the Beeb started putting out the big series on DVD so quickly, they rarely keep the whole lot up til the end, so I've often missed the start of things that look good, but I don't want to see it incomplete so I don't then catch it at all. Recently missed The Hollow Crown - must look for the disk, I hear it's great.

Peaky Blinders Series 3 is tremendous; the writing gets better and better. The Beeb have just announced two more series; I'm hoping they can keep it going until WW2 breaks out. That would feel like a logical time for them to round off Tommy's story. Shades of Michael Corleone and Jackson Teller in the character, in that it's a criminal attempting to take his organisation 'straight'. At this point I genuinely don't know if he'll succeed.

Detectorists.

Lovely little show. Reminds me of The Smoking Room or Him and Her in that it's the sort of uiet little slow-burner that shows BBC comedy at its best, but rarely gets the attention it deserves....

Game of Thrones. I think this was episode 6. One of the weaker episodes in a while, and possibly the weakest episode of the spotty season.

SPOILER:
Dipping into the Mother of Dragons for grandiosity a little too often, which tells me they're grasping for quality story; falling on what they already have rather than further development. And her monologue was weak on top of it.

Isn't season six where they ran out of books because yer man hasn't gotten around to writing the last two yet? Could explain the writing issue. We're still waiting for season six on DVD - I expect we'll see it this time next year.

First episode of Preacher on AMC. Having once upon a time collected and read each comic of the series as well as knowing Seth Rogen was attached to the show, I was worried that it would be garbage. Knowing that AMC has turned out some pretty good entertainment the past few years, I had hope. I liked it, a lot. Very entertaining and well done. Looking forward to episode two. I guess there is life after Boardwalk Empire.
:D

Is that the one with Henry Rollins in the title role, or am I thinking of something else?

The new Top Gear. Not sure I care for the new presenters much. I much preferred the two host that fallowed on ExtraGear!

I hve nil interest in this show - or any other such tedious celebration of dull manchildren - but I desperately hope it'll turn into a huge success. It's what Bully Clarkson and his sniggering sidekicks deserve.

Binge watched M. Knight Sillyman's "Wayward Pines" . 11 episodes in two nights. With all my usual viewing fare in Summer hiatus I'll be watching a lot of these weird little 10 episode filler series. I think I'll try "The Americans" next.

Worf

Is Wayward Pines as much of a rip-off of Twin Peaks as the trailer made it look?

Is that the one with Henry Rollins in the title role, or am I thinking of something else?
Rollins? That would be a fun choice, but no, it's Dominic Cooper. Only one episode released so far over here, but I thought that he did a good job. Episode two is airing tonight.
It sure would be nice if AMC got ahold of Constatine and made a proper series out of it. AMC seems to know what they are doing. At least much more so than ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC.

Edward

Bartender
Oh, yes..... Yes, I remember that now. Dominic Cooper. Nice guy (he accidently tried to crash my 40th). Interesting choice of role for him - sits alongside the vampire in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer. I like that he's stretching himself beyond the obvious, pretty-boy roles - he's clearly good enough.

Costantine would be great fodder for a show like that. I didn't think the Keanuweenie vehicle version was as bad as is clearly fashionable to suggest, but it certainly could have been a whole lot better. It did have the feel of being rushed together.

I'd go a bundle on a Hellboy series too, though the big kahuna is still a Netflix series based on Dredd...

Oh, yes..... Yes, I remember that now. Dominic Cooper. Nice guy (he accidently tried to crash my 40th). Interesting choice of role for him - sits alongside the vampire in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer. I like that he's stretching himself beyond the obvious, pretty-boy roles - he's clearly good enough.

Costantine would be great fodder for a show like that. I didn't think the Keanuweenie vehicle version was as bad as is clearly fashionable to suggest, but it certainly could have been a whole lot better. It did have the feel of being rushed together.

I'd go a bundle on a Hellboy series too, though the big kahuna is still a Netflix series based on Dredd...

I was thinking more of the NBC Constatine series failure. The Keanu flick was much better than I thought it could be.

Anything Hellboy I would like to see. I have been a Hellboy fan since the beginning. Dan Brereton's Nocturnals brought to life would also be a lot of pulpy fun.

I have enjoyed Cooper's performances in the past, but really enjoyed his performance as Preacher. Nice cast overall; especially, with Dan Dority from Deadwood as the Sheriff and Joseph Gilgun as Cassidy.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Isn't season six where they ran out of books because yer man hasn't gotten around to writing the last two yet? Could explain the writing issue. We're still waiting for season six on DVD - I expect we'll see it this time next year.
I believe they ran out of story after season 4. Season 5, which was noticeably different (and lesser), was the beginning of the showrunners developing story on their own. Well, actually, from what I understand, they consulted Martin, the author, as they moved beyond the books for season 5 and forward. The showrunners also cherry picked parts of the books that they hadn't used yet in the process of developing non-published territory. So, you have yet to be published ideas, which could or could not end up in the books, and stuff from the books they hadn't used yet to build seasons 5 and forward of the TV series. As an example, there is part of book 3 in season 6. It's a mess if you ask me.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
After visiting the Black Country muesum last week I re watched Peaky Blinders to see how they use the canal and chain forge in the series.

image.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We finally got caught up with Game of Thrones (last night's probably the best of this series, no dialogue glitches like we've seen so far, strong stories) and finally saw the finale of The Night Manager. Brilliant, will now read the book and it will be a blu-ray purchase when available.

Tell me Hiddleston's not the next Bond...

Edward

Bartender
I was thinking more of the NBC Constatine series failure. The Keanu flick was much better than I thought it could be.

Ah, I hadn't heard of that one. Yeah, Keanu wasn't bad - though I'm not familiar with the source material as of yet.

Anything Hellboy I would like to see. I have been a Hellboy fan since the beginning. Dan Brereton's Nocturnals brought to life would also be a lot of pulpy fun.

I discovered it as of the films. The first was a superb meditation on the nature / nurture debate. I'd love to see more of it set in and around WW2, Nam, and so on.

I have enjoyed Cooper's performances in the past, but really enjoyed his performance as Preacher. Nice cast overall; especially, with Dan Dority from Deadwood as the Sheriff and Joseph Gilgun as Cassidy.

He's certainly a fine actor - nice to see him getting a chance to avoid being boxed in by dumb, pretty-boy roles.

I believe they ran out of story after season 4. Season 5, which was noticeably different (and lesser), was the beginning of the showrunners developing story on their own. Well, actually, from what I understand, they consulted Martin, the author, as they moved beyond the books for season 5 and forward. The showrunners also cherry picked parts of the books that they hadn't used yet in the process of developing non-published territory. So, you have yet to be published ideas, which could or could not end up in the books, and stuff from the books they hadn't used yet to build seasons 5 and forward of the TV series. As an example, there is part of book 3 in season 6. It's a mess if you ask me.

I decided early on to skip the books until a] the show ends, and b], Martin finishes the series! ;)

You can't just leave this here...you must elaborate, Edward! :D

Not much to it, really. He was in the pub, my party was in the back room, he looked in the door looking for a table, and Herself (who had no idea it was him, but probably wouldn't have reacted any differently anyhow), said "Hi, sorry, it's a private party in here" - he said "Oh, sorry, whose birthday is it?" She pointed to me, said his, he wished me a happy birthday and moved on. Very polite, very pleasant - not a hint of "do you know who I am?" or anything. A bunch of my guests had photos with him, and he was very happy to take the time to do it for them. Wish I'd thought to do that myself, now! Heh.

Tell me Hiddleston's not the next Bond...

It's a popular notion at present.... which probably is asgood as meaning it'll never happen, based on the past.... TBh, I'm hoping they either really break the mould, or just drop Bond altogether - it's all been done by now. Course, evne if they end up making something worse than th Roger Moore era (assuming that's possible), they'll just keep churning it out for the $$$.....

Watched the first few episodes of "Dr Thorne" the Anthony Trollope novel that Julien Fellows adopted for a TV miniseries. It's a by-the-numbers 1850s "upper class English people who need to marry money to keep their estates (et al.)" period piece lacking the verve of "Downton Abbey." Strong cast, okay period sets and, as noted, predictable story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24