Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
An episode of Star Trek - Miri - about the 300-yr-old children who have survived a deadly man-made plague.

It was rather creepy, to be honest. Capt. Kirk's relationship with Miri was borderline yuck. But I laughed out loud at Spock's line (below):

Capt. Kirk: This is the vaccine?

Dr. McCoy: That's what the computers will tell us.

Mr. Spock: Without them, it could be a beaker full of death.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
An episode of Star Trek - Miri - about the 300-yr-old children who have survived a deadly man-made plague.

It was rather creepy, to be honest. Capt. Kirk's relationship with Miri was borderline yuck. But I laughed out loud at Spock's line (below):

It's not like Kirk was trying to seduce Miri; she was the one who had the crush on him. All he did was charm her a little. Besides, Miri was technically some 300 Earth years old. As Kirk put it to Janice later, "I make it a point, Yeoman, never to get involved with older women."

The James Blish adaptation in the first Star Trek collection has it -- probably from an earlier draft of the script -- that the planet was a long-lost Earth colony (survivors of something Blish calls "the Cold Peace"), not merely a one-in-ten-trillion duplicate Earth. That makes more sense; that would have explained why the buildings were so Earthlike, and why Kirk & Co. could read the scientists' notes about the life prolongation project and how it went so horribly wrong.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
It's not like Kirk was trying to seduce Miri; she was the one who had the crush on him. All he did was charm her a little. Besides, Miri was technically some 300 Earth years old. As Kirk put it to Janice later, "I make it a point, Yeoman, never to get involved with older women."

The James Blish adaptation in the first Star Trek collection has it -- probably from an earlier draft of the script -- that the planet was a long-lost Earth colony (survivors of something Blish calls "the Cold Peace"), not merely a one-in-ten-trillion duplicate Earth. That makes more sense; that would have explained why the buildings were so Earthlike, and why Kirk & Co. could read the scientists' notes about the life prolongation project and how it went so horribly wrong.

Oh, I know that she had a crush on him and he was trying to charm her to make her cooperate and help them; but he gave her the same type of look that he gave women his age, y'know? I'm not going to make a big deal out of it - just something I noticed, is all.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Got to like Michael J. Pollard! He was in a lot of shows back then, often playing teenagers, even though he was 27 at that time. I liked him, opposite Robert Redford in Little Fauss And Big Halsy! Kim Darby was still a teen barely at 19. Then again old Shatner was probably sleeping with younger at the time!
Jahn_zpseo3idzzf.jpg

I've continued binge watching the first season of Star Trek, and am up to episode 23, "A Taste of Armageddon". I'm surprised by the fact that Mr. Sulu (George Takei) has been in so few episodes, because I thought he was a regular cast member from the beginning. I guess Sulu got promoted to helmsman at the same time Chekov (Walter Koenig) became the ship's navigator.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
RE: Deadwood. Listen to the incredibly rich and beautiful dialogue. No, I'm not being facetious. And it only gets deeper and better as it goes. Quintessential Milch. One of the great ones that require a few hours investment before you lock in step.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've continued binge watching the first season of Star Trek, and am up to episode 23, "A Taste of Armageddon". I'm surprised by the fact that Mr. Sulu (George Takei) has been in so few episodes, because I thought he was a regular cast member from the beginning. I guess Sulu got promoted to helmsman at the same time Chekov (Walter Koenig) became the ship's navigator.

The Trek supporting cast did NOT appear in every episode: this is true of Sulu (51 of 79), Uhura (69), Scotty (63), and Chekov (36).

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/George_Takei
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Nichelle_Nichols
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/James_Doohan
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Walter_Koenig

It was a different TV production world in those days, and the (financial) difference between a full-time cast member and a "regular" (what we'd call "recurring" now) was more significant than today.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
RE: Deadwood. Listen to the incredibly rich and beautiful dialogue. No, I'm not being facetious. And it only gets deeper and better as it goes. Quintessential Milch. One of the great ones that require a few hours investment before you lock in step.

Watching the series 2-3 times (and years apart) helped me to see the beauty of the dialogue. Some of Al's monologues are almost Shakespearean. Love it so much.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Watching the series 2-3 times (and years apart) helped me to see the beauty of the dialogue. Some of Al's monologues are almost Shakespearean. Love it so much.
They absolutely are Shakespearean.

The acting is high quality. I'd include Olyphant in that, but I also understand why he is difficult to stomach for some. Robin Weigert is at the top of the game in that moment. Molly Parker isn't far behind. Michael Harney creates an awful, flawed, lovable, very funny character, much like he did in NYPD Blue as Detective Mike Roberts. One of the wonderful things about a Milch production is you are guaranteed to watch the characters grow. His approach doesn't allow for the actors to create shtick and then get stuck in it, and because his teams cast so well, the actors immerse and shine to great potential. For a lot of the actors, you likely won't see them in a better role, or acting at a higher level, in their whole career. It's the writing, dummy.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"50 Years of Star Trek" - Sigh... Whenever a retrospective has to open with a disclaimer that "Paramount did not authorize this, had nothing to do with this, wants nothing to do with this and everything in it is unauthorized", you know you're in for a bumpy ride. For goodness sake they couldn't use the original ST theme song!!!! Just a group of talking heads at the Observatory above L.A. giving inane opinions interspersed between interviews with Spock, Uhura, Chekov, Quark, Worf and a few of the writers and producers from over the years. NO Captains, not a one graced the screen, probably because of those pesky contracts. No insight, little in depth discussions. I learned nothing new except Paramount's coming out with a "new" Trek soon... We'll see. I personally was sorely disappointed.

Worf

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Sulu was helmsman in the first episode in regular production, "Corbomite Maneuver," and showed up at the helm (with his eccentric hobbies like fencing, botany, and collecting .38 revolvers) frequently during Season One. Chekov wasn't added to the cast until Season Two.

"50 Years of Star Trek" - Sigh... Whenever a retrospective has to open with a disclaimer that "Paramount did not authorize this, had nothing to do with this, wants nothing to do with this and everything in it is unauthorized", you know you're in for a bumpy ride. For goodness sake they couldn't use the original ST theme song!!!! Just a group of talking heads at the Observatory above L.A. giving inane opinions interspersed between interviews with Spock, Uhura, Chekov, Quark, Worf and a few of the writers and producers from over the years. NO Captains, not a one graced the screen, probably because of those pesky contracts. No insight, little in depth discussions. I learned nothing new except Paramount's coming out with a "new" Trek soon... We'll see. I personally was sorely disappointed.

Worf

Sounds as awful as that early '80s "Bond" film Connery did where they couldn't even use the Bond theme music, to say nothing of the fact that Connery simply looks too old and his romantic advances come off as very creepy. Sometimes you wish things never got made / that the producers exercised some intelligent discretion and said - nope, this will be so cheap, so ersatz, it isn't worth doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24