Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

True enough -- but it is a comedy. The Trek format at its best had room for tragedy, drama, high adventure, and comedy too. If you want to see an episode of a mostly serious show where everybody was probably smoking something they shouldn't have been, try "The My Friend the Gorilla Affair" on U.N.C.L.E. If you can sit through it, that is. Truly it's the nadir of that series. (Though it could have been fixed! Tell it as a kids' bedtime story, and then the sight of Robert Vaughn dancing with a gorilla might even have been tolerable!)

I'm fine with it and, even more so, enjoy it. It's just an odd episode as its tone is so different from most of the rest of the series.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I love that one, but it has such a different tone than most of the other episodes in the series - death, defying captain's orders are all taken almost lightheartedly. It almost felt as if everyone from the writers to the directors to the actors had been drinking a bit when they made that episode.

Agreed! This is definitely one of the more lighthearted episodes like "A Piece of the Action." Another show that does this is Supernatural. They have very dark episodes and then very lighthearted ones. For me, it gives the show a nice balance.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It almost felt as if everyone from the writers to the directors to the actors had been drinking a bit when they made that episode.
Since it was Hollywood 1967, they were probably drinking, smoking cigarettes, and smoking a certain herb, among other things! :rolleyes:

We felt exactly the same here. Now, we are trying to figure out what else to watch. So glad we stumbled upon it.
:D
My only complaint was; why did the defense not use Naz's clothing as evidence of his innocence. If he was the killer the clothing would have been covered in blood splatter but it was clean. They showed them bagging it at the scene and I thought for certain it would be used as part of his defence but it never came up. I thought that a huge flaw in the screenplay.

My only complaint was; why did the defense not use Naz's clothing as evidence of his innocence. If he was the killer the clothing would have been covered in blood splatter but it was clean. They showed them bagging it at the scene and I thought for certain it would be used as part of his defence but it never came up. I thought that a huge flaw in the screenplay.
There were flaws/inconsistencies but none that ruined the overall feeling we had for the mini-series. :D

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Several Star Trek entries, both original and Next Gen:

"Doomsday Machine" -- probably TOS's finest space action story, with William Windom as a 23rd-century Capt. Ahab determined to destroy his white whale, the miles-long planet-wrecker of the title. If there's one episode that should have the modern effects -- good as the originals were -- it's this one. The scale is astounding. At one point Kirk is watching the planet-killer on the viewscreen of Windom's ship, and we can see, like a fly buzzing around a bull, the Enterprise . . . and Kirk's ship, we know, is nearly a thousand feet long! That planet-wrecker is BIG!

"A Matter of Honor," in which Riker takes part in an officer-exchange program: He volunteers to serve as first officer on a Klingon ship! Definitely not the kind of story the original would have done, at least not with the Klingons as enemies and rivals, as they were painted in TOS.

"The Measure of a Man," in which Picard, on behalf of Data, demands a hearing to decide whether Data is Star Fleet property, a slave in essence, or has the right to refuse a cybernetics professor's plan to disassemble him to find out how he works. A very Asimov-like, "I, Robot" kind of tale (the original, not the recent movie). It features no less than two scenes where Jonathan Frakes (Riker) proves he is not just a big stiff with a neatly trimmed beard, but a real actor who can make you realize what his character is thinking without pronouncing a single word. One of the best of ST: TNG.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo