Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Leonardo da Vinci: The Man That saved Science! Focusing on the Humanism movement of the Renaissance, fascinating. Sadly, when it comes to the current trend of denigrating science, I think we are entering another Dark Ages.

Currently working our way through "Z - The Beginning of Everything," with Christina Ricci as Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald, on Amazon. I have no idea of the historical accuracy, but I'm sufficiently entertained. Interestingly, the episodes are only ~30 minute long, not the 45-60 minutes usually reserved for such dramas. It makes the pacing go fast, and the story moves along.

Finished "Patriot," also on Amazon, over the weekend. I don't know why I thought it was going to be self-contained, but they left it open for another season with an unfinished story and cliffhanger. Still enjoyed it, though. The humor is dark and just up my alley.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Into the Badlands. The characters are always cool. The production costs on this thing must be insane. The wardrobe people are as busy as Vikings, but they have the luxury of a cohesive story. Impressive for TV.

The first episode of Feud. Entertaining enough start. The beautiful cars are what really got my attention.
:D
  • The show never gets great, but it does get better in later episodes and even has its really good moments.
  • As you noted, the Fedora Lounge eye candy is outstanding.
  • It's fun to see Don Draper's daughter playing Bette Davis' daughter (she needs a new methodology for picking parents :)).
  • How outstandingly crazy is Crawford's yellow Caddy with its rocket-ship fins (for our car guys and gals - is that a '59)?
  • Sarandon owns the Davis' character / Lange's Crawford is weak.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
One of my all-time favorite Man from U.N.C.L.E. episodes, a B & W from Season One called "The Mad, Mad Tea Party Affair." An episode set almost entirely within U.N.C.L.E. Headquarters, it features a tweedy fellow (Richard Haydn, later in The Sound of Music) who is somehow able to saunter in and out of HQ, scramble their alarms, and feed guppies into their water supply. This is matched with a serious threat, the kind of thing that Hitchcock pointed out makes for suspense. We know that a mole in the organization has planted a bomb in the building, and where and how it will go off; but the heroes do not.

And, thanks to the tweedy guy, an innocent girl has tumbled into HQ through the tailor shop. After describing HQ as a "chrome and gunmetal madhouse," she sums everything up neatly: "I was right. I did fall down a rabbit hole!"

Possibly the best episode of the entire series.

One of my all-time favorite Man from U.N.C.L.E. episodes, a B & W from Season One called "The Mad, Mad Tea Party Affair." An episode set almost entirely within U.N.C.L.E. Headquarters, it features a tweedy fellow (Richard Haydn, later in The Sound of Music) who is somehow able to saunter in and out of HQ, scramble their alarms, and feed guppies into their water supply. This is matched with a serious threat, the kind of thing that Hitchcock pointed out makes for suspense. We know that a mole in the organization has planted a bomb in the building, and where and how it will go off; but the heroes do not.

And, thanks to the tweedy guy, an innocent girl has tumbled into HQ through the tailor shop. After describing HQ as a "chrome and gunmetal madhouse," she sums everything up neatly: "I was right. I did fall down a rabbit hole!"

Possibly the best episode of the entire series.

How do you access U.N.C.L.E? DVDs?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
How do you access U.N.C.L.E? DVDs?

Fruno,

Well, I do have the complete DVD set that came out in late 2007. But a basic cable channel, Heroes & Icons, is showing the series at 3 am CDT, M-F. If I happen to be up then, and I sometimes am, I will watch a favorite episode. Right now they have about 11 more episodes to go in Season One.

The annoying thing is that H & I never promotes the series. They run promos for all the Star Trek series, and for other things running between 6 am and 11 pm. But nothing for overnight shows!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Into the Badlands. The characters are always cool. The production costs on this thing must be insane. The wardrobe people are as busy as Vikings, but they have the luxury of a cohesive story. Impressive for TV.

I'd hoped to watch season one on its first airing as it looked sooooo cool, but couldn't commit to it. Now season two is airing, I was ticked because I'd missed the premier season.

Buuuuut.... have just discovered Netflix Canada has season one, so some binging ahead of me while I PVR the current season!

"Marvel's Agents of HYDRA!" - An excellent side jaunt into an alternative reality. Of course we KNOW nuthin' like dat would ever happen in REAL life don't we? Not quite "Man in The High Castle" but it fills me with the same sense of dread.

Worf

They've been knocking it out of the park of late. Caestecker is putting in a world class performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24