Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you do . . . .

A-1

One Too Many
SF, I know you withheld back your opinion on my first DD and then came out when others also stated their opinion. Well, I think if someone asks for our opinions, he/she should be given them honestly.
At least that’s what I’m here for. If I didn’t like to hear your opinions, I wouldn’t ask for them in the first place.
The good thing here on the lounge is that artisanry and fit are appreciated way more than perfect figure, haha.

If you truly like your new jacket, you’ll love it anyway. Even if the wrinkles on the chest seem to disturb some other observers.
But if you don’t feel comfortable with it, the opinions might give you the strength to go the long and hard way of getting a remake.

I hope the remake works out for me. I’m happy for your opinions and that I sent it back!

Really I can only speak for what I would want to hear/read about my new jacket, and that would be...'Honesty". When I first came on this forum (years ago), that's, most usually, what you got since the few seeking a premium leather jacket then seemed to realize that we were mainly in sync looking for a great style and 'fit'.

Over the more recent years, it seems, the many opinions have seemed to run from..."that's the way it's 'historically' supposed to fit"...to "just get some higher rise pants"...or " Hey, at least you can see your watch better".

Although it may be all opinion, sometimes I do find myself scratching my head at all the positive comments of: "I think that looks great"...when I actually think....Yeah, If his little brother was wearing it. That might seem very blunt, but often it just seems as if it is an effort to be nice rather than honest. (Surely).

So, unless it seems (to me) to appear as actually flattering the wearer, I 'usually' just keep my honest real opinion to myself anymore, realizing that even if it looks completely out of whack with what most once seemed to think was a good fit to strive for, the chorus now, is to down play any honest criticism with compliments more concerned with rescuing someone to 'feel good' instead. That seems to be considered most 'Helpful' these days.

What is the 'right' approach? Well...Brother...guess that's just another matter of opinion.....:p
HD

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
To me it depends what the OP is after.

If an opinion is asked, i will give my most honest opinion, whether it is good or bad.
If someone isn't asking but is just showing a nice new jacket, i won't, unless it is something that is just wrong and super obvious, ie a jacket very badly sized, or a very obvious flaw.

All in all, i am a firm believer in honesty, in the long run it usually pays off.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, If his little brother was wearing it. That might seem very blunt, but often it just seems as if it is an effort to be nice rather than honest. (Surely).

So, unless it seems (to me) to appear as actually flattering the wearer, I 'usually' just keep my honest real opinion to myself

Ha ha, there goes my morning. Now I have to go back over all my threads and see if HD commented or not :p

technovox

One Too Many
I’m really with Worf ‘s “if you don’t have anything nice to say” approach on this one… especially if someone is clearly showing off their new acquisition. A complement and then a couple of questions about the customization is all that is needed. Besides, I’m no expert- who am I to rain on someone’s parade?

But if someone is asking advice as to fit, a suspected flaw, or quality/customer service issue, let the cascade of critiques and observations begin…politely, of course.

As a side note- every jacket I own has some sort of flaw, or imperfection. A few were my fault when ordering. Anyway, at this point I’m beginning to believe that a perfect jacket probably doesn't exist...for me anyway, it is just a myth I tell myself when I have a little extra money in the bank account.

Ha ha, there goes my morning. Now I have to go back over all my threads and see if HD commented or not :p

Ha :)! My fit opinions aren't the 'end all' or even for everyone to aspire to, but you got to admit some fits in the recent past have been all over the place yet strangely still manage a barrage of uncanny compliments. Of course, maybe it's just me.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Ha :)! My fit opinions aren't the 'end all' or even for everyone to aspire to, but you got to admit some fits in the recent past have been all over the place yet strangely still manage a barrage of uncanny compliments. Of course, maybe it's just me.

Probably mine. Why my Alpha B-15 got any likes is a mystery. To me!!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
If it were my 6 weeks rent pumped into a new jacket, I would much prefer a PM. I've noticed here that things go south very very quickly once something is pointed out. It impacts the owner and the maker as everyone chimes in pretty quickly, turning it sometimes into quite a personal experience. We also have different tastes and sometimes certain jackets or hides just don't appeal to me. Often it's not intended to be malicious, but, as these are highly emotional and personal purchases, it can sting. Same with poor fitting jackets, folks that paid far too much for what they got( but don't realise) etc etc. I guess for me, it's probably a case of its not what you say, it's how you say it.

Reactions: A-1

ProteinNerd

Different people like different fits.

I have a range from my board racer that is very VERY trim (I'm sure some think boarder line sausage ....or even not so boarder line lol ) to say my Hercules that isn't really trim and has room for layering.

I actually think the general fit of jackets posted has gotten better over the last year or so. Definitely better than when I first joined the forum.

No doubt due to Carrie and Wade at Thurston Bros and their fit jacket service but also Aeros change away from pick your own measurements back to set sizes.

I also think the trouble with initial fit picks with the heavy leather jackets is, as we all know, they mould and shape to our bodies over time and even jackets that don't look great initially, can wear in and fit much better.

Either way, I give free reign for people to give their true opinion of my fit pics from this point forward (or retroactively!). That's what they are there for imo. I'd rather hear the hard truth.

That's a point I missed in prior posts above. IS someone asking for opinions? I clearly now ask and say up front - "tell me what you think folks" as I DO care and DO want the thoughts of the peanut gallery which I mostly respect that is TFL.
I'm way beyond being the nOOb who doesn't want hurt feelings, etc. and just beg to be told what's what.

If someone comes in asking that - fire the f*** away, with both barrels. Many don't, and I won't go there. I also don't want to get into brand battles as so often happens here. Doesn't mean I forgive or don't hold grudges against certain makers - I do - but I also don't want to see another thread devolve into what inevitably turns into a WWF smackdown, taking the poor OP's new jacket down with it.

Use some common sense and empathy when offering your 2¢ on a new jacket.
It may not be what someone wants or needs.

pak

One of the Regulars
I'm with the PM route. If you are not solid with your own opinion on a jacket, I doubt asking for opinions will get anything to help you. The opinions almost always run the spectrum from really great to really awful. I've noticed many jackets posted here are often in the classifieds soon after an opinion is asked of the group.

Why are we here? Are we nothing more than a group of back slappers, congratulating each other's new acquisitions? Are critical observations verboten? Isn't critical discussion, analysis and debate essential to increase our individual and collective knowledge and TFL's ever expanding data base? Don't we want the manufacturers to benefit from our discussion and thereafter produce better jackets? Or, would we rather stand around congratulating each other, without regard for the quality or details of the newly acquired jackets, and avoid critical inquiry and/or controversy at all cost?

Agreed. However, the 'problem' is, why I think people became somewhat reluctant to voice their critiques is because in the past couple of years, there was hardly any need for it. Majority of members showcasing their new jackets lately really have gotten the idea of how a leather jacket should fit down to a tee. In my opinion, of course! Again, this is an entirely subjective matter, as HD's post clearly illustrates. But, if there was anything that was in my view substantially off, I would definitely raise my concerns. But yeah, for the most part, everyone's jackets were absolutely great. Also, when something was indeed off, most members were already well aware of the flaw & were just asking for a confirmation of their doubts.

I'm afraid back slapping is all we've got left, now that the people have learned how to rock their leather jackets. And that's a good thing! :)

That's a point I missed in prior posts above. IS someone asking for opinions? I clearly now ask and say up front - "tell me what you think folks" as I DO care and DO want the thoughts of the peanut gallery which I mostly respect that is TFL.
I'm way beyond being the nOOb who doesn't want hurt feelings, etc. and just beg to be told what's what.

If someone comes in asking that - fire the f*** away, with both barrels. Many don't, and I won't go there. I also don't want to get into brand battles as so often happens here. Doesn't mean I forgive or don't hold grudges against certain makers - I do - but I also don't want to see another thread devolve into what inevitably turns into a WWF smackdown, taking the poor OP's new jacket down with it.

Use some common sense and empathy when offering your 2¢ on a new jacket.
It may not be what someone wants or needs.

Signed and seconded.

dan_t

Practically Family
Let's see...
This is a public forum. It isn't a truly closed place and as such, you are putting yourself and your new jacket out there for all to see and comment on.
If you are not prepared for both positive and potential negative (or at the very least opposing) views, do not post in the first place.

What a lot of people forget about so quickly is that once anything is placed online, it is there forever and you immediately relinquish control of it.
The manners and overall positive demeanour of this place is what brings everyone together. The knowledge sharing and high quality information from a common interest group is primarily about developing ones own knowledge about areas they may not be experts in. The camaraderie is almost equal in value.

If you don't want to receive feedback, don't put it out there in the first place.

I should have also added; snipey & generally unhelpful comments, bordering on personal attacks have no place in my mind & these should be shut down by the majority quick smart.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
One of the challenges when critiquing someone's jacket is to separate you're own personal preferences from objective observations. That's hard to do, even for serious, well trained scientists, so I expect most of us are letting our own tastes subconsciously filter or edit our observations. The never ending debate over how an A2 jacket should fit is probably the best example of how everyone is wrong sometimes.

Superfluous

Several have called for an empathetic approach. I agree 100%, and I never suggested that anyone share a critical opinion in a malicious or nasty manner. Empathy must predominate. The person who suggested that my pocket was too high was entirely absent of malicious. Rather, he was simply sharing an opinion, albeit critical/negative. He was as empathetic as one could be while sharing a critical observation.

The real question is whether it is genuinely possible to share an unsolicited negative opinion about a new jacket in an empathetic manner. “I really love your jacket, and you are a great guy, and your contributions to this forum are invaluable, but . . . something about your pocket/sleeve/cuff/stitching/collar is just not right.” Can’t get much nicer than that, but it is still a critical opinion, and potentially a buzz kill that rains on the owner’s new jacket parade. Based on the comments in this thread, it appears that unsolicited critical/negative opinions are frowned upon here, no matter how empathetically they are communicated. In other words, I don’t know that there exists an unsolicited empathetic critical comment. Stated another way, empathy and criticism appear to be mutually exclusive.

As HD observed, this represents something of a departure from the prior approach on TFL. I did not solicit opinions regarding my GW Imperial, and yet I received an unsolicited negative comment about the height of the pocket, followed by several others who concurred with the initial criticism. All of the comments were empathetic and well intended, but nevertheless negative. IMHO, the well intended negative observations were entirely permissible, and did not violate any unwritten code of empathy. That said, it appears that the majority here disagrees.

I can cite countless similar examples where new jackets have received unsolicited critical observations about many different issues, including pocket locations, sleeve width, stitching symmetry, leather texture, deviations from the original, labels, jacket dimensions, etc, etc. I don’t recall anyone ever responding: “Whoa . . . hey there fella . . . stop with that negativity . . . only positive comments in new jacket threads.” Nevertheless, it now appears that the silent majority was thinking this, and would prefer that critical comments be withheld unless solicited.

To be clear, I really do not care one way or the other. I have thick skin and I have no problem receiving criticism. Conversely, I have no desire or urge to share negative comments about other jackets, and I am totally fine holding back any negative observations. Truth be told, I almost always refrain from sharing anything negative about a new jacket. Rather, if I don’t like the jacket, I don’t say anything. I also do not post disingenuous positive comments. Instead, I simply shut my mouth. Therefore, if I do compliment your new jacket, its genuine. While I have endeavored to play Devil’s Advocate in order to advance this discussion, I really do not have a dog in the fight, and am I completely ok with the majority view.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As long as it's polite, I'm think we should be comfortable to point out issues or questions we have with jackets (or any item) posted here. This is a communal discussion. And it's also about reviewing and assessing the merits of products for others. It has saved me money to learn of idiosincracies about a particular pattern or maker over the years.

If you don't agree with an opinion expressed here, that's fine. I personally enjoy hearing views I don't agree with as I tend to learn more that way, and often need to examine my own views more carefully. A good thing.

No one pointed to my pocket height which was the same as yours. So all things aren't equal here...
I personally don't mind the higher placement of the chest
pocket on my jacket, just an observation that no one said anything.
Granted, I didn't ask.

pawineguy

One Too Many
No one pointed to my pocket height which was the same as yours. So all things aren't equal here...
I personally don't mind the higher placement of the chest
pocket on my jacket, just an observation that no one said anything.
Granted, I didn't ask.

Your Avatar is more threatening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou