Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
My oldest Daughter fixed them for me since my Wife has been in the hospital for two weeks. Sadly they found colon and liver cancer and she only has a few weeks to live. Never been sick hardly a day in her life. We will be married 38 years on November 25. It's tough.
I am so sorry to hear this. I will be keeping you all in my prayers.

Last night: Chili
Tonight: Pot roast with potatoes and carrots (pressure cooker), gravy, corn, green beans, biscuits
Double fudge brownies for dessert

Bigger Don

Practically Family
FW made chicken thighs with leeks and fresh ginger in a cream sauce, served over egg noodles. Side of roasted grean beans and cherry tomatoes. Warm bread and Irish butter. Bibb lettuce, walnuts, halved large green grapes with blue cheese dressing. Glass of table white wine.

Considering I've been beaten by allergy induced sinusitis all day, it was quite the treat.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Bought a roast chicken at the grocery store along with some cole slaw, dinner rolls and cheesecake. Came home and cooked up some potatoes, carrots and turnips in the pressure cooker. Even boiled up my own cranberry sauce and made stove top stuffing out of a loaf of stuffing bread. It made quite a feast and did not take long at all, no more than half an hour. Definitely recommend.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We enjoyed a wonderful meal of blue crabs in a sea food restaurant in Savannah GA. Steamed over a salt/beer/seasoning mixture. The aroma, the taste, wonderful.

Tonight I'm cooking Italian style baked cheesy mushrooms with pancetta and ciabatta bread.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
My oldest Daughter fixed them for me since my Wife has been in the hospital for two weeks. Sadly they found colon and liver cancer and she only has a few weeks to live. Never been sick hardly a day in her life. We will be married 38 years on November 25. It's tough.

I am very sorry. Prayers and may God give you and your wife and family strength.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family Hoosier Daddy. I'm so sorry to hear the news.

Tonight I've got a lot of running around to do so odds are good dinner will be pizza. Maybe spaghetti.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HD, so sorry to hear this sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your
family.

Last night was supposed to be the first gumbo of the season as that's what I wanted for my birthday dinner. I do most of the cooking but Lady B does a good job with this so long as I make the roux but the alcohol flowed a little freely too early in the day so it was pizza and a salad.

Tonight is the gumbo.

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
My most sincere condolences to you and your family, HoosierDaddy.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Sorry to hear that. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I gave this a "Like" and I don't even like crab and have no real idea what kind of beer was plentiful. Nonetheless, it sounds like a good time to me.
:D

I had a "cracked crab and beer" dinner once at a rehearsal dinner in Baltimore.

IMHO, your comment is spot on. It's a physical meal where - at least at the one I went to and was told was pretty typical (think oversized pub / paper napkins / young positive kids as waitstaff / jukeboxes and TVs) - they bring a big tray of cooked crabs that they put on the table (along with pitchers of beer :)) and you pretty much just grab a crab, crack it with a mallet and pull the meat out - a very hands-on, roll-up-your-sleeves meal where, IMHO, the activity is more the point than the food.

To be sure, some love the crabs - I get and respect that - but for me, it was not so much about the crab meat, it was the spirit of the meal...and the beer. I quickly lost interest in hammering away (double entendre accidental) - it was, for me, as if instead of one big lobster to open up and get a good amount of meat from, the work-reward ration was stood on its head and I had to work pretty hard for a small amount of meat. Like anything, I'm sure over time you'd get to be pretty efficient, but as a newbie, I was bemused and just drank.

Fun night - and their marriage, 25+ years later is still going strong. With a big group of friends, I'd be glad to do it again, but for the camaraderie not the meal.

I had a "cracked crab and beer" dinner once at a rehearsal dinner in Baltimore.

IMHO, your comment is spot on. It's a physical meal where - at least at the one I went to and was told was pretty typical (think oversized pub / paper napkins / young positive kids as waitstaff / jukeboxes and TVs) - they bring a big tray of cooked crabs that they put on the table (along with pitchers of beer :)) and you pretty much just grab a crab, crack it with a mallet and pull the meat out - a very hands-on, roll-up-your-sleeves meal where, IMHO, the activity is more the point than the food.

To be sure, some love the crabs - I get and respect that - but for me, it was not so much about the crab meat, it was the spirit of the meal...and the beer. I quickly lost interest in hammering away (double entendre accidental) - it was, for me, as if instead of one big lobster to open up and get a good amount of meat from, the work-reward ration was stood on its head and I had to work pretty hard for a small amount of meat. Like anything, I'm sure over time you'd get to be pretty efficient, but as a newbie, I was bemused and just drank.

Fun night - and their marriage, 25+ years later is still going strong. With a big group of friends, I'd be glad to do it again, but for the camaraderie not the meal.
Well said.
It is the spirit and activity, not so much the food.
Lots of tall tales and war stories have been told in this manner. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner