Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Homemade hamburgers, mac & cheese (the boxed kind, with the powdered "cheese"), English peas (frozen), fresh corn on the cob, and fresh sliced tomatoes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Worked a long (13 1/2 hour) day yesterday. Pizza was on the menu since I was too tired to cook and most everywhere was closed. Had it from one of the local bakers, topped with meatballs, Italian sausage, pepperoni, bacon, mushrooms, and black olives.

Tonight was chicken noodle casserole, green beans, and honey glazed carrots at grandma's house.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Hubby grilled flank steak that I marinade in lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, smoked black pepper, and olive oil. Grilled jalapeño, spring onion as well. Served with corn tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, and jack cheese.

18765864_10213232716232923_9197246688562473260_n_zpsmb7erx9z.jpg

⇧ That looks and sounds (what's the word, oh yeah) freakin' fantastic. Cilantro is one of herbs quite heroes.

Growing up in my-mother-is-a-terribe-cook (and she'll willing tell anyone who asks, so I'm not being rude) house, where pizza was "exotic" (we didn't stray far even in the Italian food world) and we never (kid you not) had Chinese or Mexican food - I got to discover all the different ethic, regional, cultural foods as an adult.

While I enjoy most (with some exceptions) foods now, I think Mexican / Tex-Mex (please don't ask me the distinction) has become my favorite.

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
I had baked beans for a friends wedding and forgot to double the sauce ingredients like I had the amount of beans. The result were beans so bland they may as well have been served dry. So I fixed a quick batch of pinto beans before the ceremony, and left the baked beans jarred at home in the fridge. Today I found a recipe to fix canned beans (golly they need it) with barbecue sauce (I used a recipe I fix and keep at the ready for just such occasions), chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and a few other ingredients, stir it all up and bake till they're good and hot. I tried that out on my bland beans and served it with some cornbread, skillet pork chops, and salad with home fixed dressing. It sure was good and I look forward to digging into the beans and cornbread for lunch tomorrow.

Hubby grilled flank steak that I marinade in lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, smoked black pepper, and olive oil. Grilled jalapeño, spring onion as well. Served with corn tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, and jack cheese.

18765864_10213232716232923_9197246688562473260_n_zpsmb7erx9z.jpg
My God! That looks amazing!!

Last night I went to a restaurant that specializes in South and Central American foods. I had Bistec a Lo Pobre. It was a grilled steak, sitting on a pile of fried plantains, which were on top of a pile of French fries, which were all sitting on top of a bed of rice, and the whole shooting match was topped off with a fried egg. Pretty tasty, and all those starches made it very filling, but not so much so that I didn't have room for the kahlua soaked flan for desert.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Wednesday night: tacos at our local chain restaurant. Hubby tried their coconut shrimp baja taco & loved it. Lily & I went with our usual chicken soft tacos. They deep-fry their tater tots (like Sonic's), but call them Mexi-fries. And they make their hot sauce fresh daily. It is addictive!!

Thursday night: Korean pork, jasmine rice, and broccoli.

Friday night: went to the opening of our local farmers market (got my favorite Rainier cherries!!), and decided to have a very early dinner (4:45!!) at our favorite Thai place. Chicken pad thai for Lily & I, spicy beef pad thai for Hubby. Leftovers for lunch today.

Tonight: House Rub seasoned tri-tip steaks grilled with mesquite, smashed potato salad, and a green salad.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Haven't checked in for a while as I haven't bothered to make a square meal for a while.

Tonight I made roast chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, carrots, peas, cranberry sauce and a glass of tomato juice.

Last edited:
Haven't checked in for a while as I haven't bothered to make a square meal for a while.

Tonight I made roast chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, carrots, peas, cranberry sauce and a glass of tomato juice.

Based on that standard, I'd post here about three times a year representing when we eat at my girlfriend's parents. Otherwise, we don't eat the whole appetizer, main dish, side dish, salad, vegetable or whatever makes a square meal. We usually have one or two items and call it a meal.

Last night was lemon oregano chicken breasts with some pita bread followed by a piece a rhubarb crumb cake. That's it - that was dinner. That said, earlier in the day I had fresh fruit with yogurt and my girlfriend had a salad with some salmon in it. Over the course of a day, we eat "okay," but haven't done the "square" meal thing in decades. And I'm not criticizing it at all - if it works for someone great - it just is too much effort and too much food at once for us.

When we do go home for holidays, I literally eat about half of what is put on my plate otherwise I'd explode from all the food.

Last night was stewed zucchini and tomatoes that I picked up at the farmers market yesterday morning, served over rice and topped with grated parmesan cheese. Fresh peaches for dessert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner