Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Shrimp and grits.

Jumbo fried shrimp tonite with French fries slathered in ketchup and Miller Lite to sustain the Cubs vs Pirates.
Baseball has a mind of its own, and yesterday's 5th inning triple play debacle when Baez hit one out and Rizzo and La Stella fell for Phil fielding,:oops:turned the game completely.

A few roast beef au jus. Very very nice.
:D
This reminds me of, and gives me a craving for, a treat I enjoyed on a recent visit to Buffalo .... beef on weck. The roast beef is piled high on a kimmelweck roll, a bun baked covered in coarse ground salt. There is also a copious amount of fresh ground horseradish involved, and of course the au jus. A tasty treat, especially when washed down with a tall cold beer. I don't know if you can find such a thing on the west coast, but I imagine you'd be more likely to than down here. Unless I bake my own rolls (highly unlikely) and make them at home, I'll have to head back up to western NY to get one.

That said, last night for dinner I had fresh eggplant stewed with tomatoes, garlic, onion, and jalapenos, served over pasta. It also made for a tasty treat, especially when washed down with a tall cold beer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This reminds me of, and gives me a craving for, a treat I enjoyed on a recent visit to Buffalo .... beef on weck. The roast beef is piled high on a kimmelweck roll, a bun baked covered in coarse ground salt. There is also a copious amount of fresh ground horseradish involved, and of course the au jus. A tasty treat, especially when washed down with a tall cold beer. I don't know if you can find such a thing on the west coast, but I imagine you'd be more likely to than down here. Unless I bake my own rolls (highly unlikely) and make them at home, I'll have to head back up to western NY to get one.

That said, last night for dinner I had fresh eggplant stewed with tomatoes, garlic, onion, and jalapenos, served over pasta. It also made for a tasty treat, especially when washed down with a tall cold beer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I doubt that I could find that fabulous meal around here, but most likely south of us, in the Bay Area it would exist. It sounds to me like you might need to take a trip to Buffalo in a month or so. Food is a big part of our determining a destination when planning a vacation. Now, you got hankering for a Beef on Weck. Curses!

I doubt that I could find that fabulous meal around here, but most likely south of us, in the Bay Area it would exist. It sounds to me like you might need to take a trip to Buffalo in a month or so. Food is a big part of our determining a destination when planning a vacation. Now, you got hankering for a Beef on Weck. Curses!

I love the history of Buffalo and wish the city had leveraged its early success into a more prosperous present day, but since it didn't and despite dh66's mouthwatering sandwich description, I doubt you'd feel a cross-country vacation to Buffalo - sandwich and all - the best use of one's limited vacation time and money.

Last edited:
I love the history of Buffalo and wish the city had leveraged its early success into a more prosperous present day, but since it didn't and despite dh66's mouthwatering sandwich description, I doubt you'd feel a cross-country vacation to Buffalo - sandwich and all - the best use of one's limited vacation time and money.
If money were not an issue, I'd sure go back. There's a lot there I didn't get a chance to see but really wanted to, like Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin house. I did get to go up and see Niagara Falls, and saw some beautiful scenery driving through the Amish country up there.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

If money were not an issue, I'd sure go back. There's a lot there I didn't get a chance to see but really wanted to, like Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin house. I did get to go up and see Niagara Falls, and saw some beautiful scenery driving through the Amish country up there.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

The Falls - of course - are incredible and, away from the actual town of Niagara Falls itself - which does have it kitschy appeal - the scenery of the surrounding area is impressive. I stayed near a town called Niagara on the Lake which was pretty and charming in a not-manufactured way.

Homemade spaghetti with the sauce made from the Roma tomatoes grown in the backyard fortified with ground beef and hot Italian sausage.

Homemade spaghetti with the sauce made from the Roma tomatoes grown in the backyard fortified with ground beef and hot Italian sausage.

Somewhere a hipster is jealous - what is more "farm to table," or "locally sourced" than from your own backyard. You're beating them at their own game - half of Brooklyn would be weeping if they knew what you did.

Okay, I'm going to get this off my chest. There's nothing wrong with and, generally speaking, it's good to support local businesses, but all this "locally sourced," "farm to table" stuff fires me up because, one, those who say that have such a smug, self-righteous attitude (give me a break, please) and, two, what is so horrible if I, living in NYC, buy produce - say blueberries - that helps a farmer expand his or her market (and keep a roof over his or her head) from Maine (Lizzie's local market)?

Every produce item is grown locally by the farmer who grows it - where he or she sells it might not be local, but it also might allow him or her to survive. Away from the precious artisanal market and the makes-sense-cause-it-is-local normal stuff sold around a farm region - this country (no developed country) is going to feed its people - affordably - with all "locally sourced" food. It's such conspicuous consumption that it makes me want to puke. Phew, I feel better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner