Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
We eat seasonally (locally grown, if we can) because the quality of produce is better and more affordable. I shake my head when I see someone buy strawberries or a watermelon in mid-winter. I know they won't be as good as mid-summer fruit!

Every produce item is grown locally by the farmer who grows it - where he or she sells it might not be local, but it also might allow him or her to survive. Away from the precious artisanal market and the makes-sense-cause-it-is-local normal stuff sold around a farm region - this country (no developed country) is going to feed its people - affordably - with all "locally sourced" food. It's such conspicuous consumption that it makes me want to puke. Phew, I feel better.

Couldn't agree with you more about this and in the context of the "hipsters", the ones that chap my behind are the ones that go on and on about the environment, the farm to table thing, conservation and the carbon footprint but don't think twice about firing up the SUV and driving a hundred miles to check out the latest brew from some artisanal brewmeister or goat farmer who is producing a cheese even Anthony Bourdain would love.

Locally sourced tacos and beer.
:D

But was the beer from a microbrewery (with a twenty-something behind a wood counter - sporting a beard - who can tell you the 17 different flavors you can identify in the beer - and the order in which you'll notice them) and were the tacos made "authentically" in a place that looks like the inside of a 1920s warehouse re-porpused for taco making?

We eat seasonally (locally grown, if we can) because the quality of produce is better and more affordable. I shake my head when I see someone buy strawberries or a watermelon in mid-winter. I know they won't be as good as mid-summer fruit!

This all makes sense and is what most of us did naturally before all this "locally sourced" branding and posturing came into being. Growing up, our budget was very tight and we bought what was in season and was local because, as you said, it was the most affordable. While they are all gone now - they're either housing subdivisions (is that the right term?) or office parks - Central Jersey still had farms and we'd buy a lot of fruits and vegetables from farmer stands because they were really affordable and fresh. Something happens to corn when it goes into a supermarket that takes its flavor, moisture and snap away.

But was the beer from a microbrewery (with a twenty-something behind a wood counter - sporting a beard - who can tell you the 17 different flavors you can identify in the beer - and the order in which you'll notice them) and were the tacos made "authentically" in a place that looks like the inside of a 1920s warehouse re-porpused for taco making?
Nope, it was just a nice ice cold Modelo. Just mocking the term "locally sourced." As the tacos were made on the premises and the beer was served from the ice bucket in the kitchen during a wedding reception.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
A nice day out, first with the whole family for lunch (huevos rancheros with beans and bacon), then just my wife and I for theatre at the Stratford Festival (School for Scandal), then supper at a local place that has evolved from its origins, a tapas/nosh style joint to a beer hall flavour, where supper was locally (sorry, there is that dirty word again) raised heritage breed pulled pork and fries, and a 16 oz glass (??? a proper pint next time please...) of a local Stratford brew (apologies) Black Swan's EPA.

Chicken Parmigiana, garlic red mashed potatoes, shishkabbed vegetables, a dinner salad with a garlic ranch-type dressing, freshly made bread, a couple of the best made Bloody Marys accompanied by two little dark beers. A great and filling pre birthday meal. Lady ToE treats me so well. This little restaurant has become one of our two favorite places for great food.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Strong pull to the pub again tonite to watch the Cubs v Pirates. The Cubs had a single run lead going last nite but Pittsburgh rallied just enough to win.
Cubs are leaving too much money on the table, cannot seem to generate a consistent offensive effort that can bring men-on-base home and drive necessary runs,
against teams they should beat, but simply pile on and occasionally drive up the score when the game already has been won.
Or, I can grab an early train, stop at Calabria Deli in Beverly for Italian roast beef, listen to the game on the radio, and read this splendid novel about a female
philosophy prof hopelessly enthralled in love with a student....o_O

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Late day in the office, mess about to close, so a sad supper in my quarters of two microwaved scrambled eggs and a tetrapack of tomato soup.

Being in the service can be hell, so remember Milton's quip that the mind is its own place, and can make a heaven of hell, or a hell of heaven.
______;)
Went to the bar last nite, glad I did since Quintana and Cole held a pitcher duel. Cole was very good, while Q threw six scoreless and six strikeouts.
Another round of pub grub this evening and hopefully the Cubs can maintain some momentum.:)

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Being in the service can be hell, so remember Milton's quip that the mind is its own place, and can make a heaven of hell, or a hell of heaven.
______;)
Went to the bar last nite, glad I did since Quintana and Cole held a pitcher duel. Cole was very good, while Q threw six scoreless and six strikeouts.
Another round of pub grub this evening and hopefully the Cubs can maintain some momentum.:)

Glad you're enjoying the game.

It could be worse.

I am a Jays fan...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
It could be worse.

I am a Jays fan...

All my life I desired a World Series for the Cubs, yet I had absolutely no idea whatsoever of the suffering involved....I would come into the office
after a night of hell raising like a teenager, called off several times, and the seventh game when Joe Maddon screwed-the-pooch, damn near felt like exiting
a Chinook for a full equipment jump. ;)Still, I'd love nothing more than a rematch with Cleveland.:)

Last edited:
Last nite: Oreos, a vanilla Drumstick cone, and Diet Dr Pepper.

I'm a big fan of the Drumstick cone (all the varieties). They fly under the radar, but are quite good for a not "rich" (low fat content, I guess) ice-cream. Love the chocolate shell, nuts and cone as well. They're tasty but you don't feel like you just ate a vat of heavy cream when you are done.
7227ac371a30ad0b6a1afe1842d6a810.500.jpeg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Yep, that's the one-and-only staple fare cone available at CVS Pharmacy, but lots of Hagen-Daz and Ben n' Jerries stuff too.:)

Going for pub grub oven baked yard bird Class-A rooster tonite. Cubs greet n' meet the Mets again and after a tough day at the office I need another decisive win.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass