Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on Top - Bras, panties, garter belts, slips, & stockings

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
SweetieStarr said:
I don't like buying things online because they never fit correctly, so does anyone know a Los Angeles-area store that sells them?

Well honestly, with a garter belt, you really don't have to worry about this. All that matters is your waist measurement. You'll have a lot more variety if you go online, and there are many recommendations throughout this thread.

Quixoticlio

New in Town
I was wondering if any of you ladies use the type of garter that's basically just a piece of elastic that buttons up, like this one (The link is definitely work-safe but I'm not certain about the rest of the site, so hopefully it's okay to post it here.)
Are they suitable for use with regular stockings or do they only work to secure socks/hold-ups? They have some really cute sets but I don't want to pay for shipping if they're just going to fall down and embarrass me :eek:

Lenore

Practically Family
SO, I received my Secrets in Lace Bullet Bra and....

My Goodness! It's the most comfortable bra I've worn in years! One problem, which I've come to expect: Band Size. I ordered a 32 which is my normal band size, and it fits on the tightest setting, and SIL doesn't come in a 30 band. :(

I'm off to the Playtex Outlet this weekend to see if they have any 18 hrs in my size. I'll never happily wear underwire again!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Lenore said:
SO, I received my Secrets in Lace Bullet Bra and....

My Goodness! It's the most comfortable bra I've worn in years! One problem, which I've come to expect: Band Size. I ordered a 32 which is my normal band size, and it fits on the tightest setting, and SIL doesn't come in a 30 band. :(

I'm off to the Playtex Outlet this weekend to see if they have any 18 hrs in my size. I'll never happily wear underwire again!

Mine is the most comfortable ever too! I can't believe it! I want to order more just because there isn't anything poking or pinching me! and the price wasn't half bad and it shipped to Canada in NO TIME at all! It was the best money i ever spent!

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Alright, so yesterday, I was so tickled that I found even one of those "bedroom" garter belts that would fit around my hips, the Vasarette Women's garter belt and backseamed stockings set from Wally World, that I gladly forked over the fifteen bucks for it. I raced home, giggling giddily, thinking how exciting this was. Now, I should have known better, but I'm going to chalk it up to a hormone-addled brain.

The garter belt did indeed fit around my hips as promised, but the clips were four of these fiddly little bits of plastic and rubber attached to satin ribbons. I'm looking at these things and looking at the lace-topped thigh high and thinking, "There's no way, but I'm desperate, so I'll give it a go."

:rage:

After a good ten or twenty minutes of horsing around with it, I gave up. There simply wasn't enough pressure applied by the fiddly little plastic and rubber doodad to actually hold the stocking, which rolled back down to my knee left to its own devices. And, of course, the "seam" was not a seam at all, but a crummy imitation. Needless to say, I'm taking it all back to the store today.

My search for stockings and a maternity stockings-holder-uppper continues...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Helysoune said:
...Vasarette Women's garter belt and backseamed stockings set from Wally World...

I call Wal-Mart that too lol haha!

I am seriously coveting What Katie Did's Dolly Corset (red, with black trim). I need to save my pennies.

Any other busty girls who wear corsets? Is it better to get one with moulded cups, or forgo the bust coverage altogether?

Vanessa

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
Ladies- ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a slip with a vintage dress or skirt and blouse!

Yes! I can't "ditto" this enough. I don't know how many pictures I've seen where the flash makes vintage rayons & crepes appear sheer.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Vintage slips- I must confess...

that I love 'em! First I had two that I got when I started getting vintage clothes, and a few more have since shown up here and worked themselves into my 'slips and socks' dresser drawer. Our daughter (age 15yo) has a few too. I have always had half slips for years, but not really full ones before. My absolutely favorite is a black one from the 40s with pinked side seams and a metal zipper, made of "Tafredda". It makes a swishing sound when worn.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
cassylynn said:
Of course now I'm going to have to find stockings that actually fit my height, I thought 9 1/2 was small enough but I have a lot of slouching going on....Does anyone know how small the stockings go? I really haven't researched them because stockings are the only thing that I'm hesitant to purchase due to the non-return policy at most online stores.

Smallest size I've ever seen listed in vintage hosiery is 8 1/2 -- keep in mind that this isn't shoe size, but the actual heel-to-toe measurement of your foot. It's also important to keep in mind that, starting around the early forties, most vintage stockings were sized by height as well as foot size -- short, medium, and long lengths were generally available, and will be indicated by an S, M, or L on the size.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
cassylynn said:
Of course now I'm going to have to find stockings that actually fit my height, I thought 9 1/2 was small enough but I have a lot of slouching going on....Does anyone know how small the stockings go? .
Have you worn FF stockings before? There is always a bit of slouching at the ankle. There really is no way around it.

swinggal

One Too Many
Yes, but apparetly that was considered sexy at the time. I know a guy who has been wearing early 40s gear for 20 years 24/7 and he is part of the 20's to 40s' club in Switzerland. He always tells me that the wrinkle of a vintage stocking at the ankle is 'gorgeous'.

swinggal

One Too Many
Hope I'm not repeating myself here but this site is great. All the retro underwear in one place:

Pandoraschoice
http://www.pandoraschoice.com/suspender-belts---6-strap-95-c.asp

I love that they have 4, 6 or 8 strap suspenders. They look really comfy too and very authentic. They also have bullet bras and full body girdles that look way more comfy than the old ones I have. Don't seem to pricey either. Love the 'What Katey Did stuff'.

maitresse.white.jpg

girdle_peach.jpg

bullet-bra.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
Okay, ladies - I'd really like to get my first garter belt, but I'm finding the smallest size is usually a 26. I have a 24" waist and I don't want to spend too much - help?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
SayCici said:
Okay, ladies - I'd really like to get my first garter belt, but I'm finding the smallest size is usually a 26. I have a 24" waist and I don't want to spend too much - help?

I always find good quality cheapies at La Senza, which is owned by Victoria's Secret. Why not try there? :)

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I recommend Kiss me deadly "Van Doren" suspender belt. It is not vintage style since it is elastic, but has 6 wide straps with metal clasps (good for seamed), sits at the real waist, is very comfortable and stays in place very well. This is my everyday suspender belt, I love it and have it in three colours :) I think the small size will fit you just fine.

ETA: available here with free shipping anywhere (I am very happy with the service of this shop): http://www.lamagia.co.uk.

SayCici

Practically Family
Thank you both! Medvssa, that was actually the style I was interested in, and I think it's going to be cheaper to buy it from that site and have it shipped to the US than buying it on the other sites within the US and having to pay shipping. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner