Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Your wife is a witch, great! Ask her if she can dispel spells, hexes, and assorted jinks.

Remove the Curse
A pagan goes to a Wizard to ask him if he can remove a curse he has been living with for the last 40 years.

The Wizard says, “Maybe, but you will have to tell me the exact words that were used to put the curse on you.”

The old man said without hesitation, “I now pronounce you man and wife.”

p51

One Too Many
I heard a comedian (wish i could remember who it was) say that if aliens came into our solar system and monitored the internet, they'd come to the conclusion that every person in America is famous...
In many cases selfies are only a symptom--the larger "disease" being the narcissistic need by some people for near-constant attention. Sometimes it seems everyone is looking for that 15 minutes of fame that Andy Warhol "promised" them in 1968, and they're using electronic technology (digital cameras, in this case) and the Internet as tools to achieve that goal.

Now, I'm not unaware that some people might consider the members of forums like The Lounge to be no different--we here are expressing ourselves and posting our thoughts (and often photos) online where anyone in the world with a computer can see them, much like the social media websites like Twitter and Facebook--but because these forums generally have a specific focus (and a smaller and more like-minded membership base) I tend to liken them to a house party where the guests have similar tastes, and the threads and posts within are conversations among the partygoers.
I don't consider forums like this to be the same thing at all. Hobby-based discussions aren't the same as, "HEY EVERYONE, LOOK AT ME" nonsese you see on the Facebook cult from people who have nothing about them to merit any attention at all.

Alpha males have existed since man first walked upright. The only thing that's changed is what we call them--before the term "Alpha male" was created, they were either "leaders" or "a**holes". :D

back in the beginning, when man was first created, all the various parts of the body were trying to figure out who should be in charge. finally all the parts and organs agreed that the brain should run the show. all but the a**hole. he got mad, and said if he couldn't be in charge he wasn't gonna do his job any more. everyone else just laughed, but after several days of the a**hole not working, things began to get a little backed up and the first man began to not feel so well. finally all the parts and organs relented and let the a**hole be in charge, and everything was all right again.

the moral of this tale: you don't have to be a brain to be a leader, just an a**hole

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Alpha males have existed since man first walked upright. The only thing that's changed is what we call them--before the term "Alpha male" was created, they were either "leaders" or "a**holes". :D

Every self-described "alpha male" I've ever met in my life has been "alpha" in his own mind only. To everyone else, he's a loud, abrasive, self-absorbed jackass. A jackasss wearing an aqua sport coat and really nauseating cologne. (Word to the wise: real men smell like Havoline.)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Every self-described "alpha male" I've ever met in my life has been "alpha" in his own mind only. To everyone else, he's a loud, abrasive, self-absorbed jackass. A jackasss wearing an aqua sport coat and really nauseating cologne. (Word to the wise: real men smell like Havoline.)

Well, I guise I am a real man! When I don't smell like oil, I smell like gasoline, or break fluid, or.........:bounce:

back in the beginning, when man was first created, all the various parts of the body were trying to figure out who should be in charge. finally all the parts and organs agreed that the brain should run the show. all but the a**hole. he got mad, and said if he couldn't be in charge he wasn't gonna do his job any more. everyone else just laughed, but after several days of the a**hole not working, things began to get a little backed up and the first man began to not feel so well. finally all the parts and organs relented and let the a**hole be in charge, and everything was all right again.

the moral of this tale: you don't have to be a brain to be a leader, just an a**hole

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

:rofl:

That's great! Do you mind if I post this on my Facebook page? :D

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Stick to Jaguar's '94 XJS series, a fantastic breed of cat. :D:eusa_clap
---------------------------------

Your wife is a witch, great! Ask her if she can dispel spells, hexes, and assorted jinks, like the one cast on the Chicago Cubs.:eeek:

Remove the Curse
A pagan goes to a Wizard to ask him if he can remove a curse he has been living with for the last 40 years.

The Wizard says, “Maybe, but you will have to tell me the exact words that were used to put the curse on you.”

The old man said without hesitation, “I now pronounce you man and wife.”

I am a bachelor, so the above is fortunately irrelevant;);however, the Cubs are in fifth place Central Division,
and any spells, incantations, or sooths from a witch's bag of tricks may be helpful.
The origin of the curse itself remains a mystery, and repeated walking of a billygoat around Wrigley Field has proved futile. :(

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I agree fully. :eusa_clap
It's one of the many reasons I decided to leave the military, I got so fed up with that type...

From experience I would agree with you...
but there's something to be said about the "gung-ho" fothermucker who would
jump on top of a grenade to save the platoon.

I reek of wd 40 & the lady bartender has the fine looks that reminds me of
fresh gardenias...

and I mean that as a compliment !...:wink:

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

I reek of wd 40 & the lady bartender has the fine looks that reminds me of
fresh gardenias...

and I mean that as a compliment !...:wink:

Funny you should mention jumping on a grenade. I actually meant a man that did that in WWII! He was a little quite guy, with glasses and a bow tie. And that is the way he looked in his photo from almost 50 years earlier. Most of the dozen or so Medal Of Honor winners I have meant were any thing but Alpha males, go figure. Most, were like Pappy Boyington, self admitted fowl ups!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I just thought of something, back in the good old days, it was easy to get rid of the Alpha male! You just dared him to go and pet the Saber Tooth Tiger, problem solved!

p51

One Too Many
Those types of guys, historically, are hardly ever the blowhard 'alpha male' type.
I also once met someone who dived on a grenade in WW2 to save his pals. The thing just didn't go off. He said that someone had brought up putting him in for a Medal of Honor, but told him when they tried to send in the recommendation, it was denied because the grenade never went off. He thought that was an odd way of looking at it. So did I.
He's the one who told me that it was always the least full of himself guy who'd even think of doing anything like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes