Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I don't know about you, but I seem to have noticed that the day after the 4th of July, they take out most of the summer stuff, and put in the Christmas stuff. Not all summer stuff, but most of the 4th of July related stuff.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I made it back alive in one piece from my tour of 'nam in the summer of '69.

I value Life now so much & I'm enjoying it to its fullest.

And nobody or nothing will ever change or ruin it for me.

Good Luck to you all.

I made it back alive in one piece from my tour of 'nam in the summer of '69.

I value Life now so much & I'm enjoying it to its fullest.

And nobody or nothing will ever change or ruin it for me.

Good Luck to you all.

And I am sure you have also learned what the WWII generation learned---You can't just come back and sit down and blend into the background. You have to stay at the forefront and not allow such things to degenerate again.

p51

One Too Many
I don't know about you, but I seem to have noticed that the day after the 4th of July, they take out most of the summer stuff, and put in the Christmas stuff. Not all summer stuff, but most of the 4th of July related stuff.
Anyone remember "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown" where they go into the store and find Christmas decorations already in place?
It was satire then...

Anyone remember "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown" where they go into the store and find Christmas decorations already in place?
It was satire then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he5lKrqgkgo

Yes, I do. :p

pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Yes! Finally a good use for Occupy. :p

Yeah, I don't do the big Christmas tree aside from the tree and socks by the fireplace. :p Christmas Music for the most part is offensive--Aside from Is That You Santa Claus? :p
I love that song! My wife on the other hand, can't stand it.
Christmas in July is a good idea IMHO, because I can watch a few shows I really love, and claim it's CIJ.
Plus, I got in the car today, and heard Bing Crosby hosting a Christmas show on XM's Radio Classics channel.
It's 95 outside, and Bing Crosby is singing about Christmas from a broadcast done in the 40's.
Yeah, the apocalypse is near. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Yes! Finally a good use for Occupy. :p

Yeah, I don't do the big Christmas tree aside from the tree and socks by the fireplace. :p Christmas Music for the most part is offensive--Aside from Is That You Santa Claus? :p

Don't forget the all time classic, "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Actually, I think Christmas time is the only time real music is played in the supermarket. Since when do you hear Frank Sinatra in the supermarket unless it is around Christmas? All the rest of the year they play nasty modern pop music with annoying synthesizers and horrible singing.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I think Christmas time is the only time real music is played in the supermarket. Since when do you hear Frank Sinatra in the supermarket unless it is around Christmas? All the rest of the year they play nasty modern pop music with annoying synthesizers and horrible singing.

It would be nice if they played the whole album & leave out the " others".

btw: this is nothing new...but you ever notice the "fast loud music" in some $$ food restaurants
while the $$$$ restaurants don't ?

Or that the food per se is saltier in some places ...perhaps to make you buy more drinks ???

Just wondering out loud...;)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I absolutely love holidays. I love decorating for them (I put up five trees in my house for the winter holiday). I love walking through the store and seeing all the decorations. Ruins the excitement to see Christmas stuff so early. It also takes away from the "lesser commerical" holidays that used to have nice displays- like Halloween or Thanksgiving.

I can see them putting out the Christmas stuff after Halloween, as many people use the day/ weekend after thanksgiving to decorate for Christmas (as family tends to still be home and some people take a long weekend). But not before Halloween.

As far as the school stuff, I always wait until it is close to the school year to pick up supplies to donate, as they tend to have the best sales then. Last year I got 20 boxes of crayons for $10. Spent about $22 on school supplies and got the crayons, 30 pads of paper, 20 glue sticks, 10 pencil boxes, and 40 pencils. I was most proud of getting the pencil boxes, as the school I was donating to needed those badly and I got a really good sale ($.50 a piece). Next year I want to be better about watching the sales, as I missed out on a really good glue stick deal. (I donate to a small rural elementary school.)

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
It would be nice if they played the whole album & leave out the " others".

btw: this is nothing new...but you ever notice the "fast loud music" in some $$ food restaurants
while the $$$$ restaurants don't ?

Or that the food per se is saltier in some places ...perhaps to make you buy more drinks ???

Just wondering out loud...
wink2.gif

I could be mistaken, but I have read somewhere that they play fast loud music in cheap restaurants, because they make money from mass amounts of customers. The fast loud music gets annoying, so it makes people want to leave.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's the same reason the seating in fast-food joints is hard and uncomfortable -- they want you to eat your food and leave, not linger over coffee reading the paper.

This is not a modern idea, though -- the "one-arm lunch rooms" of the 1910s-1930s were designed the way they were for exactly the same reason.

newarkonearm163.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany