Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When you're not dressed vintage...

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Mimi Thomas said:
Just like modern clothes, vintage clothing comes in many levels of quality.
I own a few new designer pieces and find the quality exceptional, and I own a few vintage pieces that would have been considered practically "dimestore" quality.

I think this is probably true of womens clothes Mimi, but not menswear which was less fashion driven and more function driven. Ordinary mens clothing from the first half of the 20th century is usually top quality in my experience - in the materials, the construction, and the fitness for purpose.

There is still menswear of the same quality around but it is hard to find and it is expensive. The sort of boots which every workingman wore daily in the 1940s and 50s will now cost you around ?Ǭ£100-?Ǭ£200, and equivalent leather jackets around 3 times that (multiply by about 1.8 for $USD!)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mimi Thomas said:
Personally, I do not collect anything just to collect. All of my stuff is used daily--my dishes, my linens, my clothing-everything. We have a small 50s house and there just isn't room for "collections" per se. I like things simple and uncluttered, so I try to find just one of things, in excellent shape, that will last. One of these days, when we buy "The Big House" I'll fill it with stuff!

Yes, I like to consider my self cutt along those same lines. The only exception is my radio collection and my record collection. Now, my records do get played and most people who loved music back in the days of the 78rpm?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s had quite a few of them I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sure. But, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m really starting to want to sell of some of my radios that I never use. Only keep the nicer ones that I truly love.

I only want to have a few things around the place that I use and maybe have a back up. Trying to streamline my operations around here as well.

I have seen cheaper quality clothing from the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and such but, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s funny that it still is higher quality then the cheap stuff today!

Any way, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m a vintage life style person but, just have a passion for tube radios. ;)

Root.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own a few vintage items that I just am "afraid" to wear, but will still pull them out for special occasions. On the other hand, I have a pair of MEGA rare European Lee repro jeans that I paid $300 for, and wear them as I would a pair of Wal-Mart jeans!
I've ruined some vintage clothing in the past, and I really get mad at myself, thinking "This shirt survived 60 years and it took ME to ruin it!"
Ahh well, the perils of a vintage lifestyle.
flat-top

The Wingnut

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Quite simply when Root isn't dressed vintage he is taking a shower. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

Give him 30 years.
wingthing_tiny.gif

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Don't be so hasty JP--it's entirely possible that Root has a vintage shower cap or two ;)

I am pretty much always working some sort of a vintage look. I prefer my vintage pieces because they simply fit better, but I have quite a few new items that easily fit the style.

If for some reason I am seen in public in a non-retro manner, it is because someone (my sister especially loves to do this) dragged me out the door before I was officially ready to go. So, I will probably have to visit the high school archives to add a pic of my own to this thread ;)

varga49

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
One thing today that drives me insane is girls wearing dresses or skirts with jeans underneath! What is that all about? If there are any ladies here who wear that fashion, I'm sorry but I think it's out right silly. To me it says: Hello, I didn't know what I wanted to wear today so, I wore both. :p

All the best,
WR.
Wow I must be living a sheltered life...well sure I don't get to the city much BUT!!...where on this planet do they do that??

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
flat-top said:
I own a few vintage items that I just am "afraid" to wear, but will still pull them out for special occasions. On the other hand, I have a pair of MEGA rare European Lee repro jeans that I paid $300 for, and wear them as I would a pair of Wal-Mart jeans!
I've ruined some vintage clothing in the past, and I really get mad at myself, thinking "This shirt survived 60 years and it took ME to ruin it!"
Ahh well, the perils of a vintage lifestyle.
flat-top

Yup, me too. I have a great deal of vintage I have "retired" as I put it, due to accidents. That's what got me actually making clothing from the vintage patterns I had collected! I'm leaning more and more toward the repro road now, collecting vintage to protect for the future.

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
I don't wear vintage, and own very little vintage-inspired. It's nearly impossible to find vintage stuff around here, and what you do find is very expensive, usually fragile, and sized to fit a 12 year old.

On an average day, I wear worn-out, paint-speckled, holey jeans that are two sizes too big for me, a 3/4 sleeved, v-neck cotton top, platform soled mary-janes because I'm too lazy to hem the aforementioned too-big jeans, and an old black corderoy jacket.

Hm... I think it has something to do with the fact that I've bought maybe 4? items of clothing in the last 5 years? Most of my clothes are hand-me-downs, so I don't pick them myself, I just do with what I'm given.

I do own some pseudo-vintage-inspired stuff; more in terms of silhouette than fabric, cut, or detailing. At the moment clothing is just not high on my list of priorities.

If/when I get some photos, I'll post 'em.

Jay

Practically Family
I'll toss on one of my many 80s Polo-style shirts with khakis or my one pair of Levi 501s and my PF Flyers or my Low Quarter Service Shoes from Eastman Leather, (which I managed to nab on sale for cheap cause of a factory defect) with either leather belt or tan army-style web belt. Fridays is always "Fancy Friday"(As everyone has dubbed it) since I'll wear something old fashioned cause I don't have gym.
On a side note, one time I had on my service shoes, khakis, grey sports jacket, skinny yellow tie, and a grey hat-(My teacher said he'd give me extra credit if I dressed up for a test)-and someone said I looked "Formal" Needless to say I was bewildered.
Sorry to Ramble
Jay

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
I don't wear any vintage. I have trouble finding used jackets in a 52. So I wear new suits and shirts to work. When not working, or riding the motorcycle, I wear Levis, button down shirt, and combat boots (thinking about getting a pair of motorcycle boots). It's kind of a greaser/punk look.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I KNEW I'd get in trouble for that pic someday ;)

LOVE that dress. NOT over jeans. That was the fun BCBG sale day. When you have a bag full of dresses you gotta put one on to see how it looks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21