Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are all of the Russian/USSR leather jackets

Eastwood

New in Town
WW1 Russian flight jackets

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 224
  • 001 (2).jpg
    001 (2).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 247

Eastwood

New in Town
30-th years Russian flight jackets

Attachments

• 002 (7).jpg
    002 (7).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 002.jpeg
    002.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 002 (6).jpg
    002 (6).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 002 (5).jpg
    002 (5).jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 002 (4).jpg
    002 (4).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 180
Here's the Cold War era standard jet pilot leather jacket. I can't recall the name of it, tho... I think it's just refered to as лётная куртка or Flight Jacket.
Pretty sweet jacket and one of few original Russian designs (sorta like a Luftwaffe and a G-1 jacket had a kid). Saw many variations and modifications.

01_MiG-21_1961.jpg

Last edited:

Eastwood

New in Town
Here's the Cold War era standard jet pilot leather jacket. I can't recall the name of it, tho... I think it's just refered to as лётная куртка or Flight Jacket.
Pretty sweet jacket and one of few original Russian designs (sorta like a Luftwaffe and a G-1 jacket). Saw many variations and modifications.

01_MiG-21_1961.jpg

Yes, this is an official jacket of the third type(left to right 1,2,4)entered service in the middle 50's, in the middle (3) the second type 49-50. The Russian name of these jackets is "Shevretka"

Last edited:

Eastwood

New in Town
The first (two types on zipper and on buttons) and second types

Attachments

• 001 (3).jpg
    001 (3).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 195
  • kramaren.jpg
    kramaren.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was just looking at the thread on "Vintage Finnish Leather Jackets." It's curious how different the styles are from those made by their neighbors in the USSR. The Finnish show more of a German influence (especially the shorter, form-fitting Luftwaffe design), but there also seems to be something distinctly their own.

If anyone's interested, here you can get a repro of the Russian flight jacket. Looks cool.
http://www.courtage.com.ua/product/kurtka-formennaja-lyotnaja-kozhanaja/

I was just looking at the thread on "Vintage Finnish Leather Jackets." It's curious how different the styles are from those made by their neighbors in the USSR. The Finnish show more of a German influence (especially the shorter, form-fitting Luftwaffe design), but there also seems to be something distinctly their own.

True. In the part of Europe where I am, leather jacket design has always been traditionally heavily influenced with German styles, with a lot of original vintage German pieces floating around. Turn east though, first neighboring country and you'd have a hard time finding anything like it.

Eastwood

New in Town
True. In the part of Europe where I am, leather jacket design has always been traditionally heavily influenced with German styles, with a lot of original vintage German pieces floating around. Turn east though, first neighboring country and you'd have a hard time finding anything like it.

Before the war, aviation in each country developed in different ways. Look at the main aircraft of the 30s from Russia, USA, Germany, Britain, Italy - they are different in their ideas : open-closed cockpit, biplane-monoplane, and more.
Therefore, the main leather jacket all country was different. In the USA it is A-1 and A-2 G-1, in Britain "Irwin", in Germany a short bicycling jacket, in Russia raincoat "Reglan". Then during the war, Russia got a lot of Lend-Lisa outfits, so Russian jackets after the war are more similar to "Aero" motorcycle jackets from the USA and Canadian "Alpaca jacket" - plus mixed and changed with other ideas and designs.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Before the war, aviation in each country developed in different ways. Look at the main aircraft of the 30s from Russia, USA, Germany, Britain, Italy - they are different in their ideas : open-closed cockpit, biplane-monoplane, and more.
Therefore, the main leather jacket all country was different. In the USA it is A-1 and A-2 G-1, in Britain "Irwin", in Germany a short bicycling jacket, in Russia raincoat "Reglan". Then during the war, Russia got a lot of Lend-Lisa outfits, so Russian jackets after the war are more similar to "Aero" motorcycle jackets from the USA and Canadian "Alpaca jacket" - plus mixed and changed with other ideas and designs.
I mainly agree, but you have to keep in mind that from the 1920's onward in western Europe and the US leather jackets more often reflected stylistic developments in fashion, one industry that had pretty much disappeared in the Soviet Union after WWI. Many of the leather jacket designs in the West reflect the Art Deco movement, especially in the 1930's and '40's, as well as reflecting the more fitted designs of the time. While I was looking at those beautiful Finnish jackets I couldn't help thinking of the Helsinki train station I had the opportunity of visiting a few years ago: it's one of the most beautiful Art Deco structures in the world. It's not surprising that such ideas were carried over to clothing designs.

Eastwood

New in Town

This description of the jacket is an absolute absurdity, everything is thought up, except for the obvious - a brown jacket made of leather, sewn at the factory of Clara Zetkin..
There, on the bottom photo Kozhedub and his pilots, they are dressed in jackets Lend-Lease from the USA most likely "Aero", basically they were jackets of civil manufacturers of the USA for the USSR.
The very same jacket is already a product of the USSR and it is not the same as on Kozhedub. This is a second-generation flying jacket in the mid-1950s.
Here are the same Lend-Lease WW2 jackets

Attachments

• 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 16404005.jpg
    16404005.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
This thread may have hope. Thanks all for the info!

Here's a neat half belt one, with "Lightning" zips...any connection to the Lightning zips we know about or mere coincidence? Also, what is this Klara Tetskin Garment Factory? I've seen it mentioned in several listings. Truth to copying the A-2? The collar looks like a Lost Worlds Dubow...

https://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEMWINDOW.HTM?ITEM=28915
I thought the same as Eastwood stated above when I saw these pics. Ive got no knowledge about Russian jackets but the 'paper clip' zipper pull seemed to date it late 50's rather than mid 40's.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
This thread may have hope. Thanks all for the info!

Here's a neat half belt one, with "Lightning" zips...any connection to the Lightning zips we know about or mere coincidence? Also, what is this Klara Tetskin Garment Factory? I've seen it mentioned in several listings. Truth to copying the A-2? The collar looks like a Lost Worlds Dubow...

https://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEMWINDOW.HTM?ITEM=28915

Thos goggles are the same as were being sold here in the 1990s often as tank drivers, sometimes aviators. I did buy a pair with the intention of wearing them on an open face crash helmet but unfortunately they did not fit on my face that comfortably. Though would have had I worn them 'under' the helmet.

Eastwood

New in Town
I thought the same as Eastwood stated above when I saw these pics. Ive got no knowledge about Russian jackets but the 'paper clip' zipper pull seemed to date it late 50's rather than mid 40's.

The zipper fastener massively began to appear in the USSR in the early 30s. All zippers were made in the USSR, were not imported of principle - all need be made in USSR. Yes there was not a 'paper clip' zipper pull, it was like a Talon-Bell. In the middle of 30s, a tankman's overalls appeared with a zipper - this was the first USSR military clothing with a zipper. During the war, the zipper were discontinued and switched to buttons, metal was needed for armament. The manufacturing of zipper fasteners was resumed after war. And yes with a 'paper clip' zipper pull this is middle of 50s.

Attachments

• 18ec11eed58b.jpg
    18ec11eed58b.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 199
  • 563301494490.jpg
    563301494490.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 178

Eastwood

New in Town
The first official flying jacket in the USSR and made in the USSR appeared in 1949 (two types on zipper and on buttons) ,before that - trophy jackets of German pilots and the Lend-Liz flying jackets because clothes were needed and it was fashionable. It is interesting that in Germany there was the same situation - bicycle jackets, trophy jackets of pilots of the USA, Great Britain it was simply fashionable - but not officially.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 001 (3).jpg
    001 (3).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member