Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I find a glove box?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We do a lot of looking for the clothing, but I am so into the finishes as well. I just got a darling glove clasp for my bag, but I have so many pairs of gloves (5...ooh Im drowing in gloves :p ) that I think thats a heavy enough population for a vintage glove box.

Ive skimmed the 'bay, and they dont have much to my liking. The ones on Ruby Lane are super small. Anyone know of a place where I can find those type of accessories for vintage items?

thanks gals,
LD

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Which have you found on ebay? The satin quilted ones? I have mine in a wooden "Honeymoon Mead" box with a sliding top, because I have tons! Mostly leather for the winter though.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im looking for a wood one, Miss B. The ones on the 'bay are...well, ugly. There are a couple of nice ones, but a bit too tacky for me. Its kind of an "I know it when I see it" thing.

Thanks,
LD

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know how you feel, a few months ago I was trying to find one I liked, without success, until I realized I already had something that was perfect. :rolleyes: I'll keep my eyes peeled.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I have two pyrographed glove boxes that are almost a yard long each. Here is a photo of my favorite one.. my mom bought this years ago and I finally finagled her out of it!
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343340173/photo/294928803912297095/38

I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, you could search ebay for pyrographed or pyrography box, there are a few out there. These are generally not lined and are from the edwardian to art nouveau eras.

If you're looking for a more 40's or 50's one you might do a search for satin lined or velvet lined box, ect.

One of these days I'll get around to lining mine!

What is your favorite pair of gloves Lady?

Nikki

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ohairas, thanks for the suggestions. Your box is a beauty!
I dont really have a favorite pair. Most of my gloves are merely functional. I do have qutie a few hankies, tho, and they would be the roommates to my gloves :)

I hope they can split the utilities :D

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here is one I found on Rubylane...

243.1L.jpg

Now this is MY style, but its too small :(

363.3L.jpg

This one is super fine, but then again a bit too small.

LD

**update**
I bought the secod box :D they sold it to me for $50 instead of $75! W00T!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lady that looks to be pyrograhed as well, only stained. And I bet RL wants and arm and a leg for it!

Yes, my hankies have to share the space too, ;)

I have tons of gloves but never wear them. I think because most of them are so petite that I need to take my rings off while wearing them and I just don't want to...
I don't know which would be my fave either.

Nikki

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Its amazing what you have when you look for it.

Im prepairing my Christmas cards, and I got out my old sticker box Ive had since I was a teen. Its been out all day, and I just turned to look at it and...
DSC00360.jpg

Look at that latch, fabulous and in tact!
lol
I had a glove box in my midst for this long! Ha! Dont mind the Grimmy stickers, Mike Peters is one of my faves.

Im still looking for a larger one, but this just flored me! lol

LD

*update*
I did some snoopin on that thing called the internet based on the inscription on the box I have.
"Specially Selected and Manufactured by H. UPMANN factory For DELMONICOS"
Well Upmann was/ is a cigar maker, and Delmontico's was, well is an upscale steak house in New York. So I can only conclude that this box was chock full of stogies at one time or another as an elaborate gift box for patrons of the dining establishment. Wow, aint it amazing what you find when you pull off layers of girlie stickers :eek:
Well, gloves in it now shall they go. :)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Hat boxes work well too

Lady Day,
Since you've happily found a solution to your glove storage dilemma, I thought I'd add another idea in case there are other other ladies in a similar predicament. I use new 'vintage-looking' hat boxes to store my gloves (and hats and purses and other 'girlie' things). I've got several medium to large ones and I even found some nice square ones that are the perfect size for storing my hankies. I bought them in a store called Gordman's and even found a couple in a dollar store way up on their top shelves. Of course, they're not wood, but heavy cardboard. I like how they look stacked in my bedroom in various places.

I even expanded my "pretty box addiction". I found some rectangle cardboard photo boxes in a craft store and they're perfect for storing my stockings. They have a vintage-looking metal holder on one end to slide in a piece of paper to write what's inside. With my computer I used an art deco font and typed out, "brown", "black" and "seamed". Now I can find my stockings at a glance. I could of divided out my stockings more, but I only had room for 3 boxes. The boxes are wide enough that even new stockings still in their packages fit nicely inside.

Yep, I'm a sucker for a pretty box!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lady that box is perfect! Horrayyy!
Lucky me, dh is a cigar smoker so I get lots of cooll boxes to hide stuff in too!

Nikki

JazzBaby

Practically Family
'Scuse my ignorance here ladies, I'm rather new to vintage... What, pray tell, is a 'glove clasp'?? I'm a big accessory fan too (more compacts and cigarette cases than you could shake a stick at) but this one is news to me.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jrl002991.1L.jpg

A glove clasp is a clasp with a chain that hooks to your coat or bag, and the clasp part holds the gloves. I have two that look like this, so they were fairly common, or mass produced. :D Welcome to vintage!

LD

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks Lady Day,
Yes, there are some on eBay. Also, thanks for the tip about not paying more than $10 for them. There were a couple around $20, but they had real jewels in them, I believe. I think I'll head over to Ruby Lane and see what they have. I've found some good deals there in the past.
I shouldn't go in the Powder Room because it makes me want to buy things I never knew existed!lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran