Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get measured?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I've gone to three local tailors, all of whom have said they "don't do" measurements. I just want to get my chest, neck, sleeves, waist and whatnot measured as I am looking at some vintage shirts and jackets. I thought a tailor would be THE place to get measured. But since they won't do it, anyone got any alternatives?

Flicka

One Too Many
Buy a measuring tape and do it yourself? I hadn't even considered there was another way.

Just make sure you know exactly where you should measure (for which I rely on my great basic sewing book from 1963, but I'm sure you can find info online).

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Where to get measured ?

I've gone to three local tailors, all of whom have said they "don't do" measurements. I just want to get my chest, neck, sleeves, waist and whatnot measured as I am looking at some vintage shirts and jackets. I thought a tailor would be THE place to get measured. But since they won't do it, anyone got any alternatives?

I went to Macy's store Mens Dept. & got my measurements for free. I explained what I would be wearing under the jacket. for
example a t-shirt or sweater or a shirt & with that info , I asked him how to measure for a good fit ! I wasn't sure about what
the procedure of correctly measuring . Hope this helps !

Feraud

Bartender
I've gone to three local tailors, all of whom have said they "don't do" measurements.
A tailor who doesn't do measurements...what's this world coming to? You should have asked them how they do their jobs if they cannot measure a body.

You might try a men's shop like Brooks Brothers or Paul Stuart.

MrAcheson

New in Town
Any decent men's clothing store can measure you. You actually shouldn't measure yourself as you generally want to be in a relaxed and fairly neutral body position. Measuring yourself will typically have you using muscles to move the tape around and will throw off the measurements slightly. Just keep in mind that how people measure is a little subjective and it isn't uncommon for the numbers to vary slightly from person to person.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I am usually a big fan of small business. I would encourage you to perhaps look through the phone book, and call a few more tailors. But if all else fails, go to a large department store that prides itself on customer service. Try Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's. Just go in there, talk to the people in the area that they sell suits, and explain what you want.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
A tailor who doesn't do measurements...what's this world coming to?

I walk in to a shop place my order at the register. Next to the register is a paper cup that reads "tips". I ask the sales clerk
what is the purpose for the cup ? Clerk says, I don't know, all I know is that's the place where customers put their tips !

The tailors who didn't take measurements were probably expecting that an order should be placed before proceeding !
I 'm guessing !

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
Why does everyone think that they should be tipped these days? Even in jobs where they don't do anything for you. And then waiters think that tipping should be 25% to 35% of the bill. I can remember 10% tips, and people actually providing service.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Do what I do. Measure yourself. You have to have a measuring tape of SOME description lying around the house, right? If you're a dude, I would expect the answer to be 'Yes'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran