Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
Sure, we may not have liked the way they looked.

But, if it weren't for them breaking the rules of fashion, none of us would be able to dress retro without great scorn and possibly loss of our jobs, being put in the asylum, etc.

Before the 60s, everyone knew if you were wearing the wrong year of clothing, and judged you accordingly.

It's one thing to be an eccentric the way we are, and quite another to be ostracized by all of society for not fitting in.

So cut the hippies a little slack - they boldly went forth and wore (gasp) vintage clothing, which no one had done before!!!

Yes, we would be committed if the "fashion" rules of yesterday still were enforced...lol I mean, can you imagine if you had lived in the late '40s and were wearing clothing from the late '20s?!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Men could get away with it, I'd think, especially in small towns where the Fashion Police didn't patrol so often. I don't think too many women would wear flapper attire in 1948, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few pre-war dresses and coats floating around those same small towns, at least until all resistance to the New Look broke down. Around here, if you bought a coat or a suit, you expected it to *last,* even if that meant altering it from time to time to make it look less outdated.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Men could get away with it, I'd think, especially in small towns where the Fashion Police didn't patrol so often. I don't think too many women would wear flapper attire in 1948, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few pre-war dresses and coats floating around those same small towns, at least until all resistance to the New Look broke down. Around here, if you bought a coat or a suit, you expected it to *last,* even if that meant altering it from time to time to make it look less outdated.

True, especially the part about men's fashions, and I thought about that after posting my comments. After the Mr. T look became the standard around 1955, it was still common to see men sporting DB Bold Look suits, especially the "older" gents. Even as regards the return of wide ties and lapels in the late '60s, one would see their thinner antecedants around for quite a few years.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
HadleyH said:
no fashion sense in the 70s? who says...i really want to know who says that! :p
tjy056g57bxb655j.jpg

I'd bet a good fedora that Lennon's newsboy cap is a vintage 1920s or '30s one. :eusa_clap

TomS

One Too Many
I'd have to say I think the 19603 were the worst. 1970s would probably rate second in my opinion.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Lear said:
A television programme aired in the UK last year. Each hour long episode looked in detail at a particular decade, from the 1930's up to the 1990's (think I've got that right). In the last programme, the panel of experts had to vote for their best/worst decade. Very well made, with plenty of intelligent discussion.

Now, if only I could remember what it was called...:eek:

Lear

Can I reply to myself?

OK, the programme was called Style on Trial. I've found two links that might help:
http://www.lgblog.co.uk/2009/01/30/style-on-trial/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gkqxl

Somebody on SF must surely have mentioned this programme before. If not, I guarantee that many here will enjoy :) If it pops up again, don't miss!

Lear

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Maguire said:
Early- i'd say the time when the transition occurred. The Late 60s couldn't exist without the early 60s. The 70s couldn't have happened as they did without the 60s. In a way you can even blame the late 50s ( i don't believe the world suddenly went to hell as soon as the 60s came about. Everything that burst out into the open in the 60s was simmering beneath the gilded surface of the 50s).
I see what your point is, but the problem is that if you say the 60s are the worst because hat-wearing and classy dressing took a decline then, we can fault lots of decades. We could blame the late 50s as you say for starting hatlessness. But going hatless was around before then too; since the 30s or so. So perhaps we are to fault the 30s for the very beginnings of the trend to go bare-headed. But then the 30s are one of the favourite decades on this forum aren't they?

If we look back through time, clothing is constantly becoming more casual. In the Victorian times morning dress was considered daywear. Now morning dress is formalwear. In the Edwardian times black tie was informal, now it is the most formal evening dress code most people are likely to encounter. All through time clothing becomes more casual as we go on. What was casual wear eventually becomes formalwear, and the cycle seems to constantly repeat. So we could blame every decade for this, not just the 60s. All I can say is that I hope jeans don't one day become formalwear.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Carlisle Blues said:
Too late...:p :p :p

Timberlake flaunted his denim-on-denim with the perfect person, Britney Spears, at the 28th American Music Awards in 2001.

34446411.jpg
:eek: All I can say is nasty. But more and more I see people putting on jeans when they go to formal events, even weddings. They think that unfaded and unripped jeans equate to formal. While those sort of jeans may equate to respectable, they are still casual in my eyes. Personally I think that even a teenager could do with putting on a pair of proper trousers and a dress shirt when it comes to a formal occaision. When adults (*cough* my mother *cough*) put jeans on in an attempt to look smart I really think they should know better.

I have no problem with jeans themselves in case people get that impression. I simply have a problem with them being worn at occaisions where they are clearly too casual.

Rant over. :)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
I'd bet a good fedora that Lennon's newsboy cap is a vintage 1920s or '30s one. :eusa_clap

Yes, i agree! it's a nice cap too! :eusa_clap

1960s and 1970s are no different from any other decade past or future, good taste and bad taste hand in hand its part of human nature, the YING and YANG of life.:)

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Lady-Gaga-Meets-Queen-Elizabeth-500x700.jpg

Society has gotten to the point where many people do not want to dress up for anything, but want to be accepted in whatever type of casual "uniform" that they adopt. In addition, at one time it was royalty and certain other well-known setters of style who led the fashion pace, and who were emulated by many, when it came time to dress up.
for you Widebrim.lol :p

Gaga stated this is her meet the Queen outfit. I do sort of think she is a hoot or at least I can understand her appeal.
Artistic like I think Cher.
I so think of Alice in Wonderland when I see this photo...

Miss Sis

One Too Many
As a general rule, I think I agree that actually the 90s and 00s have really let standards slide way further than other decades.

At least the general public were reasonably dressed up till then. There will aways be extremes in any era that we can look back on as 'ugly' but when people started to look as if they didn't care AT ALL what they were wearing, or infact looking suitable for the occasion - Jeans at a WEDDING or FUNERAL, PYJAMAS to do your shopping??? etc, then it has all just gone to pot.

As a child I was expected to brush up when it was called for. I knew that I wasn't going to go out of the house wearing pyjamas just cos I FELT LIKE IT or I couldn't be bothered to have a shower or brush my hair. Sadly, it seems more and more people now think this is normal.

Well, if that's 'normal' I'm sorry. I'm making a stand against it. I don't mind people being quirky or wearing vintage or modern clothes. Wear what you want but have some decorum and please, wash. No one wants a dirty person near them.

Miss 1929 said:
Like the kind Sarah Palin wears.

Seriously ugly on everyone.

Sorry, but I HAVE to wear glasses and these are the only shape that suit me, so I have to disagree! I also previously had a pair of the Buddy Holly/Joe 90 type glasses in deepest aubergine purple and they were probably my favourite pair I've ever had. To me they're a classic shape.

Round 'National Health' or John Lennon glasses make me look like a complete bug and ovals aren't any better. The only shapes that are going to be left is triangular or square!!!

I do have period glasses for when I do period stuff that are very unobtrusive thin gold frames from the 30s but even they don't do much for me. [huh] And I had to look long and hard to find them.

I think the HUGE 70s or 80s frames are far, far worse.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss Sis said:
As a child I was expected to brush up when it was called for. I knew that I wasn't going to go out of the house wearing pyjamas just cos I FELT LIKE IT or I couldn't be bothered to have a shower or brush my hair. Sadly, it seems more and more people now think this is normal.

WHen I was little, before going to school I was expected to stand inspection -- my mother would go over me like a drill sergeant and make sure everything was exactly so. I'd fuss an whine and ask why, and she'd say BECAUSE YOU WANT THE TEACHER TO HAVE A GOOD IMPRESSION. And then she'd clip me one with the hairbrush if I didn't stop squirming.

Do mothers still do that? Does anybody *care* anymore about making a good impression?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Lizzie, my Mum used to *whip* my waist length hair into shape every day with a hard brushing. My head used to get a wallop most days too. I wasn't even allowed to wear my hair loose at school.

Until I was about 10, I pretty much always wore dresses or jumpers (sweaters) and skirts my Mum had made me. She, and I, expected that I would look put together. I had jeans but was never allowed to wear them to school. They were play or weekend clothes.

And it's still true, You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff