Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
Folks, is this the sort of 1960s granny type eyeglasses you are talking about? surely it can't be...... please say it ain't so.... post a pic of the eyeglasses you are talking about. TY :)

COOL COOL COOL and COOL :D :eusa_clap
untitled-25.jpg
Thes glasses are indeed, cool cool cool! And round.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
I liked those granny/John Lennon glasses.

Me too :) John Lennon, to name one, looked so good in them, he had the perfect face shape for them, i can not envision him with any other sort of glasses!

metropd

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
But it was sooooooo "fly"

um I didn't know a person can wear a quilt as a funky overcoat.

superfly2.jpg
RonONeal.jpg

IMHO Ron O' Neil in Superfly had as much style as Cary Grant, the 72 Eldog, and the Divinely Funkay soundtrack from Curtis helped. I bet you Cary Grant could not pull that "lean" off as well. If you got Funk you got Style!

Carlisle Blues

metropd said:
IMHO Ron O' Neil in Superfly had as much style as Cary Grant, the 72 Eldog, and the Divinely Funkay soundtrack from Curtis helped. I bet you Cary Grant could not pull that "lean" off as well. If you got Funk you got Style!

Ron O'Neill was the personification of "funkadeliciousness" no question there. :) When you take the styling of Mayfield, the hats, the car you are speaking of what so many have tried to imitate, to no avail. I still do not get the fabric for the overcoat.....[huh]

Another is Shaft John Shaft. Who is the man that would risk his neck
For his brother man? SHAFT! Can you dig it? Richard Roundtree as Shaft and Issac Hayes sound track.
SHAFT-Richard_Roundtree-1971.jpg

I do not think Cary Grant could have done Superfly. However in "To Catch A Thief" Grant exuded his own brand of cool. Grant had his own style which gives me the impression it is suave and debonair. While both had an effect on society each spoke to a different socio-econimic class as well as era in terms of societal confluence.

tcat-10.jpg

Naphtali

Practically Family
Isn't the 1960s the worst decade for/in terms of [fill in the blank]?
J B said:
I posted this thread on another forum, The Fedora Chronicles, a week ago on the first of January, but I would like to pose the same question here as well.

As I've said above, the 1980s (followed closely by 1970s) were probably the worst, in my opinion. Really, it's all according to personal taste...

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum for this topic.

metropd said:

Ron O'Neil can also be seen in full Golden Era splendor in the 1982 TV series Bring Em' Back Alive.

The starting question brings some questions to mind for me. As a general concept todays everyday style continues the slide into super casual tends to be in my mind the worst going. As I walk thru stores and other public places I look at the so called adults and see pampered extended juvenile existances. In the past there were serious attempts at style so that even the 70's which did not age well as said previously still had a sense of dressed up for both day to day life and occasion. It fails because the elements had become so exagerated as to be seen as nearing clown like parody of the previous styles.

Few eras in the twentieth century could rival the outrageous overkill of the 70's. Although close, the extra wide lapel look of post WWII is exagerated too, yet carries a better sense of cool than the clownish 70's. The 70's embraced the exageration along with patterns and colors that have long been outside what was considered fashionable.

Sometime in the 80's sweeping the urbanite existance was the idea that black was the new black. I remember it became pervasive and embraced by "serious" people such as many urbanites love to be known. PJ O'Rourke said that in NYC even the street clowns were dressed in black.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We don't have the all-dressed-in-black cliche here -- evidently hipsters die off quickly in cold weather -- so whenever I go to Boston or New York it comes as a shock. Last time I visited NYC, I wore the same emerald-green wool coat that doesn't get a second look here, but it got *stares* from New Yorkers. Go figure.

The way I see it, the all-black thing is just lazy, no-need-to-think "sophistication." Anyone can do it, it requires no thought or planning or effort to pull on a black turtleneck and a pair of black jeans -- all you need to add is a copy of the NY Review of Books under your arm, a $10 latte in your cup, and a supercilious look on your face, and you're Cool. Which is a lot easier than actually having to think about it.

LizzieMaine said:
The way I see it, the all-black thing is just lazy, no-need-to-think "sophistication." Anyone can do it, it requires no thought or planning or effort to pull on a black turtleneck and a pair of black jeans -- all you need to add is a copy of the NY Review of Books under your arm, a $10 latte in your cup, and a supercilious look on your face, and you're Cool. Which is a lot easier than actually having to think about it.

(My demand is to be entertained.)

One of the things is to add a sense of cool boredom to being cool. If you're cool everything is soooo mundane and boring. My favorite response comes from someone I heard on radio that said "In reality, if you are bored, it means that the actual problem is: that you are boring!"

JimWagner

Practically Family
I wonder if perhaps some of the lack of style prevalent today is a result of or a backlash against the constant media (print and TV) bombardment touting the latest "style" from a seemingly endless supply of "designers"? Each of the many designers trying to outdo the rest and dictate the latest fashion.

After a while it all becomes darned silly and a background roar to be ignored by all but the youngest and impressionable. So, we as a society just wear what's comfortable or required for our jobs and get on with our lives.

It is also an attempt to find a lowest common denominator for casual. People can come to stores in their pajama bottoms and slippers making the public area a continuation of the home and the bedroom. I'd like to show up at work in my terry cloth robe sometime.;)

Carlisle Blues

John in Covina said:
As a general concept todays everyday style continues the slide into super casual tends to be in my mind the worst going. As I walk thru stores and other public places I look at the so called adults and see pampered extended juvenile existances.

The last place I would have expected this would have been Nordstrom. I have not shopped there in a year due to this very behavior. I expect the these "upper tier" stores to maintain their once stringent dress guidelines.

I did not have a problem discussing the finer points of Montecristi's with the "personal shopper" that I built a nice relationship with, but, when I started to give fashion tips to the gentleman that was a bad sign.

I moved to the New England area where I had the pleasure of meeting the Nordstrom family at an opening party for their Natick store. I was pleased to see the tradition of properly well dressed store personnel upheld. It was not until the store was there a few months that things slacked off again.

I voiced my concern with The Nordstrom's and was sent a Robert Talbott Seven Fold. Unfortunately the dress code has remained on a downward slide. I shop else where now...:(

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Respectfully, I don't think the problem is that people demand too much ease in getting dressed (basic suits and dresses are easy outfits) or too many designers. The problem as I see it is that the I-don't-care-what-anyone-thinks attitude has run amok. Partly, designers are to blame. (What were the designers at Liz Claiborne thinking when they offered pink gingham dresses?) But a lot of people have just given up, too.

Carlisle Blues

Paisley said:
Respectfully, I don't think the problem is that people demand too much ease in getting dressed (basic suits and dresses are easy outfits) or too many designers. The problem as I see it is that the I-don't-care-what-anyone-thinks attitude has run amok. Partly, designers are to blame. (What were the designers at Liz Claiborne thinking when they offered pink gingham dresses?) But a lot of people have just given up, too.

Another aspect speaks to basic knowledge. I found it astounding that my contemporaries had no knowledge of how to knot a tie. My father was "old school", no clip ons. He compelled me to learn. As such I gained an appreciation for dressing and developing my own style. Which of course, was his style, as he had the clothes when I was a teen. That is why I eschewed my decade's version of fashion and developed a style that reflects a vintage motif.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
That's a good point. It might not occur to people to, say, get their pants or sleeves hemmed or shine their shoes, especially if their peers don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183