Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
Leave the 70s alone.

The teens and those hideous hobble skirts women wore. To say nothing about the monstrousness of the hats. Dreadful, ghastly things, that's all there is to it. :mad:

HobbleSkirtPostcard.jpg

Oh, I don't know, I could think of worse styles...

ebony_fashion_ads.jpg

:eek:

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Lear said:
A television programme aired in the UK last year. Each hour long episode looked in detail at a particular decade, from the 1930's up to the 1990's (think I've got that right). In the last programme, the panel of experts had to vote for their best/worst decade. Very well made, with plenty of intelligent discussion.

Now, if only I could remember what it was called...:eek:

Lear

It was called "Style on Trial", and I've still got the 40's episode saved on my V+! (With Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, who normally gets right under my skin, championing the 40's alongside Immodesty Blaize!)

I think the only thing that I found unsatisfactory about it was that they didn't do the 20's or 30's, which obviously were pretty glaring omissions...

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I think most of us can agree that the late 1960s- to the 1980s and early 90s were pretty unattractive.

Now, in the early 20s there were men's suits called "Jazz Suits" and they were pretty out there... There is a thread in Suits about it someplace... anyway, for every good outfit; there will be a bad outfit no matter what the decade is.

But, the 70s and 80s hold a high rank place in the ultimate "PU" category.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
^^^
I do not agree....:)

Bathing suit 1900
1900bathing-suit.jpg
man-vintage-bather.jpg

Bathing suit 2010

Naked Fellow Removed.

Christie Brinkley 1975

brinkley75.jpg

Woa, woa, woa, now just hold the cotton pickin' phone here... how can you compare some guy or woman in very modest swim suits of 1900 to a hot super model of the 1970s? That's apples and oranges man! Also, the woman in that "2010" black swim suit is Islam... she can't help it.

I recall when I was a kid, in the early 80s I remember hairy men in skimpy short, shorts that just made me wanna gag! Also, those eye glasses of that era… ULTRA PU!*yucky*

1978RobertPlant4.jpg

microsoft1978ew7.jpg

It was pretty much the same scene even up into '83!

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
I nominate the 90's and the first decade of this century as the worst, for not only being ugly, but for being utterly bereft of identity. Give me the tacky 70's over the past 15-20 years any time! (I must confess that I actually ... like the 80's :eek: )

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
GeniusInTheLamp said:
(I must confess that I actually ... like the 80's :eek: )

I agree. The other side of the (menswear) coin shows that the '80s were when Ralph Lauren really hit his stride. The early '80s heralded the return of preppiness and all that it entailed: 100% cotton and wool, no more bell bottoms, short hair, good shoes, cuffs on trousers, narrower ties in natural fabrics, and narrower belts! The later '80s brought back double-breasted suits, linen, gabardine, rayon, '40s-inspired ties, and pleats.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgotten Man said:
Woa, woa, woa, now just hold the cotton pickin' phone here... how can you compare some guy or woman in very modest swim suits of 1900 to a hot super model of the 1970s? That's apples and oranges man! Also, the woman in that "2010" black swim suit is Islam... she can't help it.

I was talking about the "bathing suit" the guy was wearing...

Here is a "super hot" model from 1917. Just using your standard...[huh]

1917.jpg
Ohhh she makes me sizzle..Hubba Hubba.....:D

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
I was talking about the "bathing suit" the guy was wearing...

Here is a "super hot" model from 1917. Just using your standard...[huh]

1917.jpg
Ohhh she makes me sizzle..Hubba Hubba.....:D

I wouldn't kick her outa bed for eatin' crackers. lol It's no bikini but, it has its place.

Now, remember, it's not what's on the outside, it's what's on the inside that counts.;)

The turn of a Century was about modesty, and "cute"... they did have very scandalous outfits of women wearin' just beads and feathers but, can't post photos like that here.

Maguire

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
Leave the 70s alone.

The teens and those hideous hobble skirts women wore. To say nothing about the monstrousness of the hats. Dreadful, ghastly things, that's all there is to it. :mad:

HobbleSkirtPostcard.jpg
I agree with marc's assessment, i've noticed that myself in pre 1920s suits. But i really don't see what the issue is with the woman's clothes there. She's dressed very nicely as far as i can tell, and the hat is great. granted i can't imagine a woman dressing like that now, but one can always dream.

Maguire

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
^^^
I do not agree....:)

Bathing suit 1900
1900bathing-suit.jpg
man-vintage-bather.jpg

Bathing suit 2010

Naked Fellow, so removed.

Christie Brinkley 1975

brinkley75.jpg
Maybe i've lost my mind or i'm seeing things, but is the man standing behind those two muslim women .. completely naked? what's the story there?

I know some muslim hijabis, one went to the beach just wearing what she essentially wears everyday and just going into the water like that. It makes sense from the standpoint of modesty, but i can't imagine it being very comfortable. Those ladies swimwear looks far more reasonable/utilitarian and when one is swimming you can't really go for anything more than that.

Chas

One Too Many
I might jump to the 70's, but other decades that their low-lights.

The 60's experienced a downturn in the practice of personal hygiene....

Mmmmm. unwashed bodies.....wacked out on drugs....yummy.

455909075_d6f5b19c58.jpg

BAN THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER!!
budgie_hulk.jpg

clubwitsend

Practically Family
I'm gonna have to jump on the bandwagon saying 70s fashion sucked the most...with a couple of exceptions (Halston, punk).

I think on the entirety of everything (music/tv/clothes/etc), 1972-75 are pretty bleak. YIKES.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgotten Man said:
I wouldn't kick her outa bed for eatin' crackers. lol It's no bikini but, it has its place.

Now, remember, it's not what's on the outside, it's what's on the inside that counts.;)

The turn of a Century was about modesty, and "cute"... they did have very scandalous outfits of women wearin' just beads and feathers but, can't post photos like that here.

Yet you cite Christie Brinkley as a supermodel. Certainly not for her "inner self".....:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou