Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which is your favorite G-1?

thor

One Too Many
@Peacoat you are absolutely correct that these M-422a’s are getting hard to find (in a large size too!).
I’ve e-mailed John about this jacket to see if it’s still available. Fingers crossed!
Thanks @Brettafett for the heads up and thanks Peacoat for the “nudge”.

Peacoat

Bartender
While I don't think that jacket should be a daily wearer, because of what it is, you will probably wear it enough to make it worthwhile as a working jacket. I have a 1962 Irvin B. Foster G-1 that I tend to baby. It is goat, like that 422a, and really doesn't need tender care, but I do it anyway.

The G-1 I wear the most is a 1981 DSCP issue that I bought for a friend of mine who was a sonar man on a Navy Helo. It was too small for him, so I misappropriated it for my own use. I ended up putting my Velcro name tag with wings, rank and "US Army" on the left chest. It is incongruous to have an Army name tag on a Navy flight jacket, but no one has ever noticed. It is large enough for a sweater or a vest underneath when the temps get down in the low 30s and 20s, and is just plain comfortable to wear. The collar is a big help when the wind is up. It feels as though it is mouton, but due to the year, it may not be. Whatever it is, it is it keeps the chill off the back of the neck.

The G-1 is a versatile jacket. The Navy always seems to come up with great outerwear for its people.

Brettafett

One Too Many
@Peacoat you are absolutely correct that these M-422a’s are getting hard to find (in a large size too!).
I’ve e-mailed John about this jacket to see if it’s still available. Fingers crossed!
Thanks @Brettafett for the heads up and thanks Peacoat for the “nudge”.
No worries, hope it works out.... My Steve Sellers (Headwind Mfg) HL Block M422a is almost done... He has been updating me every so often and sent some pics last night.
Steve Sellers Brett HL Block shell.jpeg
Blooming marvellous!

thor

One Too Many
Well guys, I purchased that size 44 Edmund T. Church M-422a from John Chapman (Goodwear).
It’s a beautiful jacket with unbelievable patina and marbling of the vintage goatskin. The jacket’s condition was absolutely superb!
The only downside was that it was a tad too snug in the body for me to wear comfortably or safely (would hate to over-stress the zipper or a seam!).
I’ve regretfully sent it back to John so it should reappear on his “sale jackets” page soon.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Well guys, I purchased that size 44 Edmund T. Church M-422a from John Chapman (Goodwear).
It’s a beautiful jacket with unbelievable patina and marbling of the vintage goatskin. The jacket’s condition was absolutely superb!
The only downside was that it was a tad too snug in the body for me to wear comfortably or safely (would hate to over-stress the zipper or a seam!).
I’ve regretfully sent it back to John so it should reappear on his “sale jackets” page soon.

Don't upset,Thor. The jacket is certainly wonderful and it could become a star in your G-1 constellation ... but I think everything is still ahead.

thor

One Too Many
DBA8FDDF-7BA9-4BC5-823A-15617ABE6068.jpeg

I treated myself to an early birthday present and took advantage of a considerable military discount offered by US Wings for Armed Forces Day: a G-1 made of bison leather! The workmanship is superb, the fit is absolutely spot on and the overall quality of this jacket is outstanding.
The bison (American Buffalo) leather hide is stunning! It’s the perfect shade of dark seal brown with a gorgeous luster and substantial heft; it’s thick, robust and super-grainy but not stiff at all. And the aroma is heavenly!
The genuine mouton collar is soft yet thick and luxurious and feels like some kind of exotic mink or fox.
This jacket deserves a more thorough review with lots of pics but for now I’ll just post a screen shot from the US Wings website (the photo just doesn’t do the beautiful bison leather justice!).

thor

One Too Many
695D665B-0388-4770-9C28-C126A21173B0.jpeg
8B717F94-60B3-4AA1-B39F-817D8B3FA055.jpeg
751FAA0B-2162-4ECE-9E46-2B06317E0FB9.jpeg

I’m breaking in my new bison G-1 on a chilly, windy afternoon. First photo was taken yesterday in bright sunlight. The jacket is a nice dark seal brown, and the bison leather is super-grainy and of a medium/heavy weight. Zipper is a shiny brass #10 Ideal model that works smoothly and has the paper clip style puller.
Tough brown nylon lining. Mid brown knits. Plush, soft genuine mouton collar that feels very luxurious and quite warm.
All in all, a great addition to one’s G-1 collection!

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Fit is perfect. I have a French saddle made of "Buffalo" (don't know what type of buffalo they have in France), and the hide makes a beautiful saddle, just like your G-1. You did well on this one. Now about that cap . . . .

Deacon211

One Too Many
That looks awesome Thor! I’ve been really thinking about the USW signature G-1 but didn’t know how the cut compared to the traditional jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexlutov

A-List Customer
1.jpg
Всем привет, мой Мартин Лейн 69, недавно купил его на аукционе в России. ...Я прошу прощения за мой английский

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner