Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which shearling jacket?? D1 or Irvin??

Hendrix

New in Town
This question has probably been asked before, but in any case, here goes: I'm seriously looking for a quality, practical, warm shearling jacket for the coming winter. I love the look of Irvins, but I'm concerned that they may be some what bulky when worn. Presumably the Irvin will be a little warmer than the D1. But the D1 appears to be less 'fussy' and maybe more easily worn. I have no experience with either jacket.

I'd prefer a repro, most likely an ELC.

Any thoughts on which may be more suitable, practically and warmth wise are very much welcomed.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Had a few of both, 7 Irvins ( 2 x originals, which I was always a little aprehensive about wearing, 2 x Aero's, 2 x Eastmans, one WPG) and 4 D-1s ( 2 x Eastmans, 2 x Aero ) ...... of the Irvins the earlier Eastman Irvin was my favourite, very soft yet supple fleece and hide and a nice length. However, for practicallity and everyday usage the D-1 is hard to beat ( again though so long as you can get past the zips on the pockets).

The D-1 is lighter and neater IMHO - still plenty warm - just not as warm as the irvin. This is just MHO .... but the Irvin was too bulky for everyday usage and the lack of pockets to put stuff in ( phone etc. ) was a real pain.

Either way you won't go wrong ........ but for the perfect sheepskin jacket it has to be a ANJ-4 IMHO.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
All depends how cold it is. The big 'but' is this, Do you intend to drive in the jacket as they both tend to ruck up at the back but the Irvin is better due to being shorter, though the D1 is less restrictive(as you say).
Ok thats one thing, the D1 has zips on the pockets, thats ok but they tend to scratch your hands if you stuff them into the pockets so personally if you are a hands in pockets type of fellow then I would go for the B6 rather than D1. Warmth wise it is all about the Irvin, I have worn these in a cold English winter with just a T shirt as it has a thicker fleece than the D1 or B6, but the D1/B6 are probably easier to layer up and less restrictive than the Irvin.
Go for a repro as good originals cost a fortune and also being made from a dead sheep around 70 years old maybe fragile, I have sold all my originals due to not wanting a museum piece because I am scared the arm may snag and tear easier. You can find good wearable originals but as said they cost the earth. Eastmans arn't bad, Aero has a new design and Aces High are often credited with being the best(according to here on the lounge, personally I would stay away from Aviation Leathercraft if you want a WWII style replica.
J

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have an ELC Irvin & it's lovely and warm, in fact too warm for the majority of UK weather this winter. The ELC D1 is on my spring hit list this year as a milder weather shearling which should hopefully see a lot of use and has a pocket for my mobile & one for my wallet...the two essentials :)

Edward

Bartender
I like the design of both (although all things considered unless I got a steal of a deal on a used D1, I'd rather a B6). I certainly didn't find this past Winter too warm for my Irvin, though I think I did often wear a layer less under it this year. I'd say the Irvin, being a thicker fleece by design, will definitely be warmer, but it's very much an individual thing as to whether you feel, or feel the need of, the difference.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To be honest what I need most at present is a wetsuit for swimming to work :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've both... The Irvin is like wearing a thick coat of wooly armor. It laughs at cold and wind BUT it's bulky as hell and if you drive in it the sleeve zips often scratch the rest of the coat. The D1 I have is a re-pro "Redskin" from AL. It's neater... easier to move around in and is ALMOST as warm but not quite. The Irvin's nice for snow blowing but little else as you soon will start to overheat.

Worf

thor

Call Me a Cab
I suppose if you can fit into the cockpit of a Spitfire or crawl through the hatch of a Lancaster, driving in a car should be no problem at all :)

Stand By

One Too Many
I'd say that my old Irvin by Aviation Leathercraft was bulky - for sure - because it was rather over-engineered with overly-thick shearling - in a way that wartime supply constraints could never have made possible.
On the other hand, my ELC Irvin is made to wartime specs and, as such, is much lighter and considerably less bulky - and better tailored as a result.

But being in Oz with a more temperate winter, you may well prefer the 1/4" shearling of the D-1 - or the B-6. I find that the optimal temperature range for my ELC RW B-6 is between -5C > +5C ... one of those may well prove a better choice for you, IMHO.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I suppose if you can fit into the cockpit of a Spitfire or crawl through the hatch of a Lancaster, driving in a car should be no problem at all :)

You callin' me fat bub????!!!!!

LOL.... Yeah I guess any "jacket's too big" comments from me should be taken with a small, teeny weenie grain of salt!

Worf

thor

Call Me a Cab
You callin' me fat bub????!!!!!

LOL.... Yeah I guess any "jacket's too big" comments from me should be taken with a small, teeny weenie grain of salt!

Worf

Can I borrow that grain of salt, Worf? The whole state seems out of rock salt and another big storm is going to hit tomorrow. Thanks partner!

Love that redskin D-1 btw!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Can I borrow that grain of salt, Worf? The whole state seems out of rock salt and another big storm is going to hit tomorrow. Thanks partner!

Love that redskin D-1 btw!

Hey man don't try and "kid a kidder"! You've got a GREAT collection of jackets AND you get to wear em on the water EVERY DAY!!!!! I wanna be you when I "grow up"!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff