Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which shearling jacket?? D1 or Irvin??

archbury918

One of the Regulars
For me, I feel it serves both fit and function. The zip provides a clean, smooth look.
Since it is designed to fit lower on your hip, a quick pull of the zip is all that is needed to fit comfortably when seated or especially driving.
When rising to stand, the jacket should fall back down naturally where it belongs without the need to adjust. It's not always necessary to zip, but when it's chilly out, you can quickly tell the difference.

A strap w/ buckle, particularly a few inches up is one more thing to catch and snag on doors when exiting. Also if you carry a laptop bag, it can tangle there as well.
It's all personal preference. I'm guessing the Army switched to the strap to save on jacket construction cost and time. Hence the later models w/ strap.

As I mentioned, if you snug up the strap, you will have it ride up your back while driving. If left so loose that it doesn't, it defeats it's clean line and look. Frankly, I'd remove it completely if they only came with a strap. Leather that thin and narrow in time will curl and look more shabby. I consider the B-6 a much more 'dressy' jacket. It wears well with a suit coat if the occasion calls for it.

Stand By

One Too Many
The zips just work so easily - adapting the layer/s beneath with a simple pull either way without the need to look at what you're doing, snugging up the fit and sealing out any draught in 2-3 seconds.
And they match the main zip too.

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Two weeks & counting to ELC visit for D1 :cool: Got to get some more leather.....too many nylon purchases of late (mind they have been a lot cheaper). :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I got an email from John Chapman of GoodWear. He sent me pics of his B6 project. He's making me one sometime this year... mebbe next. I asked him about side-zips vs. buckles in a previous email and he said "zips, zips, zips". Period correct for the jackets he makes and functional when the jacket is on when buckles are not. That's good enough for me.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
I like the zips on a B6 because - as well as their practicaility - they are unique to that particular jacket, in much the same was as it is the only USAAF sheepskin with epaulettes. Just that little edge that sets it apart from all the other designs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff