Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which shearling jacket?? D1 or Irvin??

thor

Call Me a Cab
LOL! You speak-um the truth Kemo Sabe! Tonto has-um good job and fine jackets! Me one lucky injun!
Keep warm Worf and enjoy this leather weather my friend :)

thor

Call Me a Cab
Just to get back to the original thread, I love the Irvin (had an ELC about 10 years ago which I sadly sold) and the D-1 is nice; my personal favorite is the U.S. Navy M-444 sheepskin jacket.
I am very interested to see the new one that Eastman will roll out this coming fall. Just my 2 cents gentlemen.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I had a B6, but I sold it as it was a little too bulky and warm for me. I never considered an Irvin or B3 as I think they would be way too much for the Pacific Northwest. I always liked the simplicity of the D1. I asked Carrie at Thurston Brothers about modifying a D1. I asked for the lightest shearling Aero had, finished the hem/sleeves, and had no zippers on the pockets (gotta be comfortable for the hands!).

In terms of sizing, I'm a 40 suit and wear a Aero 30's slimfit halfbelt in 38. This coat is a 38 and easily will allow layering of a sweater.

I'm very happy how the jacket turned out. A somewhat trim fit and I really like the look of the finished hem/sleeves.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^^^ That sir is a WINNER! Your mods are sweet. I'd a kept the pocket zips only because I HATE pocket blousing. The hems are outstanding. Well done!!!

Worf

archbury918

One of the Regulars
As for bulk for the aforementioned jackets, The Irvin, B-3 can't be beat for true cold, and I mean sub-zero temps. One thing I discovered is any time spent on your mobile phone can slow the blood flow to your hands when wearing them. Lots of hand switching while on the phone.
I find the B-6 a bit dressier and the bi-swing back a big plus when layering. My D-1 is a redskin, and by far the sharpest looking jacket of them all.
If your 'outdoor' time is limited to house to car, go B-6 / D-1. If you have dogs to walk or kids to watch sledding......Irvin / B-3.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
The D1 redskin is really stunning in person. The leather color with the off-white shearling is a great combo.

I get compliments on the jacket every time I wear it. Today, the hip Whole Foods checker gal said the jacket was shagalicious lol.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
HD and the "cool guy slouch" I love it. Order me a milkshake will you bro, I'll catch you up later. I've a B6 coming from GoodWear sometime this year round December, but I'm going Redskin... that color makes me plotz. What's the consensus though... side zips or buckles? I heard both were used on the B6 during its run.

Worf

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
HD and the "cool guy slouch" I love it. Order me a milkshake will you bro, I'll catch you up later. I've a B6 coming from GoodWear sometime this year round December, but I'm going Redskin... that color makes me plotz. What's the consensus though... side zips or buckles? I heard both were used on the B6 during its run.

Worf

Buckles buckles buckles! They just look so much better.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well I've bitten the bullet & have contacted Eastmans to arrange a visit & D1 purchase, think I'll be going XL. The shearling is the same as my C3 vest which I love. Can see the D1 being a classic three seasoner and getting loads of wear. The pockets will support money / mobile :cool:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Worf...I go weak at the knees just think about those 'Redskins' & think I'd go buckles too :cool:

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I must be in the minority. I prefer the zips on mine.
When it comes to buckles, I have to have beefy ones. It just wouldn't look right with that jacket. The thin straps look less masculine IMO.

Stand By

One Too Many
I must be in the minority. I prefer the zips on mine.
When it comes to buckles, I have to have beefy ones. It just wouldn't look right with that jacket. The thin straps look less masculine IMO.

I agree. I wouldn't change mine from zips to straps.

B6.1.JPG

Oh my. Look at that GREEN. It seems sooo long since I saw colour like that. Just snow and ice for all these months ... sheesh.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
What is that green stuff!?!? ;)
Great looking jacket too!

The other take on the zips is since the jacket is longer in cut, it adjusts quicker from seated to standing if needed. I wouldn't want that 'ride up' feeling and tugging the jacket to adjust the fit.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just curious chaps, do you like the zips because the look better or work better? The final product is the same, the waist is brought in and you still have the gathered part rubbing at your sides, then again nothing can catch in the zips. To me it just looks so much more mechanical/functional, where as I like the straps because they look better (To me)though are more fiddly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff