Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White RAF Roll Neck Sweaters

Cobden

Practically Family
I just came back from my local one, and they had none. When I'm in Brighton next, I'll check their. I'm sure they had some...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
So all we need now is someone in UK setting up a small business buying up surplus submarine sweaters and sending them to all corners of the world...:rolleyes:

I've been there with gas mask bags. Believe me, it soon wears off. Many shops that sell things like the sweaters have web sites and will ship worldwide.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
If you are going for a WW2 RAF look, more or less any off-white roll or turtle neck sweater in a traditional knit will do reasonably well. All sorts were worn by RAF pilots (photos confirm this and see a number of discussions on the RAF re-enactors forum). There is (AFAIK) no evidence to suggest that more re-directed Royal Navy woollens were worn than those knitted by loved ones and the many 'knitting circles' that sprang up to donate items to help keep service personnel warm. The problem occurs with things being passed off as repro 'Frock, White' garments.

Getting an authentic unissued RN/"submariners'" sweater in a size over 40" is difficult anyway, as they are worn by ratings who are usually onder 25 and (certainly in the case of submarine service) are disadvantaged under operation conditions by being big. Last time I was there Springfields in Burton had unissued (genuine) RN ("Submariners") sweaters for 20 GBP, but their biggest size was Size 2 - that's about 38" chest.

IMO a 'something in the style of' job like the Aero sweater is a better and cheaper option than going for a 'real' ex-RN one (like Silverman's) if you are much over 150 pounds. Beware that some vendors pass off the RN sweater as a WW2 RAF repro, with an added label to suit. I suppose you knew that.

Alan

Speedster

Practically Family
Thanks Alan. I already have the white sweater from Eastman Leather, but would like an unissued one in either blue or white. Having a 42" chest though i guess i should be content with the "repro" i have.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
One of my favourite portraits from Battle of Britain is this one of the South-African Albert "Zulu" Lewis. His sweater is neither white or rollneck. It looks more like a fishermans darkblue sweater.
Might be the kind you are looking for Speedster.
L1010083.jpg

Speedster

Practically Family
Spitfire, that looks very much like this traditional Danish fisherman's sweater (also available in navy blue) which have been in production since 1931 in the same family owned business

temp_skyt.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Alan's right RAF aircrew wore all sorts of jumpers and warm gear underneath their tunics and Irvins.

It wasn't uncommon for a pilot on a very early sortie to wear his pyjamas with all sorts of things piled on top. Tim Vigors once wore his bathrobe on a late night interception!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I remember reading somewhere about a RAF fighterpilot who were shot down over Europe somewhere and taken prisoner in his pyjama. Must have been quite a sight in the Stalag.

Smoothoperator

New in Town
I've been trying to get my hands on one of these too. I reckon you might have better luck if you try surplus shops around submarine bases ie SM2 Guz (Plymouth) and SM1 Faslane in Scotland. I've see the imitations and they are nothing like those issued.
Unfortunately when I left the Navy and the submarine service I had to give mine back although I still have the socks which I wear around the house as slippers. Toasty!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Smoothoperator said:
I've been trying to get my hands on one of these too. I reckon you might have better luck if you try surplus shops around submarine bases ie SM2 Guz (Plymouth) and SM1 Faslane in Scotland. I've see the imitations and they are nothing like those issued.
Unfortunately when I left the Navy and the submarine service I had to give mine back although I still have the socks which I wear around the house as slippers. Toasty!

The Jersey, White 8405-99-943-1534 (a.k.a RN submariners' jersey) is common enough in surplus shops. Mine cost 10 GBP (unissued) from Springfields in Burton on Trent and was made in 1982 by J. Pick and Sons, Ltd.

Alan

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Thanks to Will's Web site...

A source on the RAF *submariners* sweater. Expensive (and as corrected by Air Diggers, NOT authentic to the RAF) but gorgeous nonetheless:

322-1-md.jpg

RAF Sweater

by J. L. Powell · $198.00 · #10729

In a world gone buttery soft, we think you’ll appreciate a sweater that is rugged in every way. Our RAF turtleneck is completely faithful to those worn by British submarine officers during WWII — right down to the unprocessed sheep’s wool. Sure, we could have turned it into something more refined but we believe there’s an honesty that needs to be honored here. Absolutely striking on the man who understands why we’re offering it. In undyed natural — nothing else was available back then and we’re not about to make anything else available now.

Size: M-XXL

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I'm...trying...not to...comment...

Alan

Zemke Fan said:
A source on the RAF *submariners* sweater. Expensive (and as corrected by Air Diggers, NOT authentic to the RAF) but gorgeous nonetheless:

322-1-md.jpg

RAF Sweater

by J. L. Powell ¬? $198.00 ¬? #10729

In a world gone buttery soft, we think you’ll appreciate a sweater that is rugged in every way. Our RAF turtleneck is completely faithful to those worn by British submarine officers during WWII — right down to the unprocessed sheep’s wool. Sure, we could have turned it into something more refined but we believe there’s an honesty that needs to be honored here. Absolutely striking on the man who understands why we’re offering it. In undyed natural — nothing else was available back then and we’re not about to make anything else available now.

Size: M-XXL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy