Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White RAF Roll Neck Sweaters

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Alan, I've also found it strange this talk of a "sweater" which I had always thought was an American word. I would've thought that it would be more likely to have been referred to as a jersey, pullover, or even jumper. Does anybody know what word was actually used at the time for the RN garment?

I actually have my future mother-in-law knitting me a version at the moment. I have given her lots of photos of originals, the Eastman and the WPG versions and she has said it's not a problem (although she's an incredibly good knitter). Plus I get to pick the wool used - and that means not scratchy!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Smithy

AFAIK, the Jersey, White has always been called that. A jersey is a type of fisherman's garment that was adopted for navy use.

I'l try and borrow a digital camera and take some detailed photos of my RN Jersey, White (particularly the inside) to help your future mother in law.

It should be scratchy.

Alan

Smithy said:
Alan, I've also found it strange this talk of a "sweater" which I had always thought was an American word. I would've thought that it would be more likely to have been referred to as a jersey, pullover, or even jumper. Does anybody know what word was actually used at the time for the RN garment?

I actually have my future mother-in-law knitting me a version at the moment. I have given her lots of photos of originals, the Eastman and the WPG versions and she has said it's not a problem (although she's an incredibly good knitter). Plus I get to pick the wool used - and that means not scratchy!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
thanks all, i apologize for being ignorant on the subject...the RAF interests me more and more and i need to do research...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sam_Marlow_PI said:
thanks all, i apologize for being ignorant on the subject...the RAF interests me more and more and i need to do research...

No need to apologise Sam, everyone has to start somewhere and the best way to do that is by asking questions.

There are some remarkably knowledgeable people here and you can learn much by reading their posts.

I for one am no expert on RAF clothing but I may be able to help with questions or suggestions regarding the RAF in the Battles of France and Britain as that is my main interest.

Feel free to PM me as it's always a pleasure to help those with a similar interest.

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
Alan Eardley said:
I have never seen an original this large. That's not to say they don't exist, but they don't seem to make ito onto the surplus stalls. In the RN the jersey is worn by ratings, who tend to be in the late teen - early twenty age range and in submarines, well, I guess the little guys fit in best. Most of those I see are RN Size 1 or 2 - 38" or 40". I'll keep a look out for you, though.

Alan

Alan, If you happened to see one in my size (I take a size 40 in jackets, but would prefer a jersey which is not skin-tight) could you let me know?

Corto

A-List Customer
I just bought a RN/RAF "submarine" sweater at What Price Glory.
I'm pretty happy with it.
I know these are crappy pictures, but...I don't have time tonight to do them with better lighting...(I was also trying to affect an air of British nonchalance, which didn't work out so well either.)
rn2.jpg

This sweater also looks great under my pea-coat and N-1 Deck jacket.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Here we go...

See... I knew I had a couple of these, lurking in the BellyTank Museum Archives...
Just hunted them down.

This is what the RN Sweaters you can hopefully buy as surplus look like.
One of them is dated 1985, the other has no remaining labels.
They are both virtually identical. The labelled example is "Size 1",
the other is slightly smaller. As Alan mentioned, there are white,
cotton reinforcements inside the shoulder/neck area.

DSCN4582.jpg

DSCN4583.jpg

DSCN4585.jpg

DSCN4584.jpg

There you go.

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BT

Exactly. Just like mine. Who is the maker of the labelled one? I hope Smithy's granny can see enough of these to get a general idea of what she is knitting - it'll save me having to do all of that crappy stuff with a digital camera. You could do her (and me) a real favour and post a couple of the internal shoulder reinforcements. I hope she notes the big ugly neck (the jersey's, not yours).

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I will, but that's a size 2 - rarer in unissued form than Size 1.

You know how it is with these things - when you are looking for them, they never turn up. I'll have to pretend I'm not looking for one...

Alan

Prof Branestawm said:
Alan, If you happened to see one in my size (I take a size 40 in jackets, but would prefer a jersey which is not skin-tight) could you let me know?

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
Alan Eardley said:
I will, but that's a size 2 - rarer in unissued form than Size 1.

You know how it is with these things - when you are looking for them, they never turn up. I'll have to pretend I'm not looking for one...

Alan

That's often the way. Just keep an eye out for one, but don't let the jerseys know you're hunting them.

Thanks.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Those are wonderful BT, many thanks for taking the time to take and post these pictures. The close-up showing the knitting stitches is very useful.

They've been duly saved and emailed to the mother-in-law!

Once again thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda