Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White vinegar on leather-is it safe?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
So I noticed some what must be rust on the underside of a collar in the outline of what must have been a pin backing attached to the jacket from a previous owner. Online articles recommend white vinegar and or salt followed by conditioner. Safe?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
If you have to do it, try it in a hidden spot first.

Usually water and a light rub with a non scratch sponge ( the ones for non stick pans) is all i use and all i have ever needed to use.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It's well hidden. I tried scratching some of it off with some small success, but it's on there pretty good. Amazing what brass can do to leather. I have some pins I want to put on it in the near future.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
If it's on there "pretty good" as in deep into the pores, i'm afraid that anything you do to take it off will also damage the top coat and at least dull the leather in that spot.

The worst i have had were paint spots, only way i could remove them was scratching them softly with a blade. It removed them, but dulled the leather.
I then polished the dull spots with the rounded edges of a bic lighter and they are completely invisible now.

I think you need to weight the possible outcomes, what would be more obvious in that spot, the little rust marks, or a big discolored or dull patch caused by whatever you do to remove it.
In my case the paint drops were neon green on a black jacket, so it was an easy call.

If it is a vintage jacket, and you are going to put pins on it anyway, you might as well just leave it as it is and call it part of the patina!

Vinegar is awesome- It'll even remove rust from an old tub...
I'd stay away from the salt.
Water down the vinegar 1:1 for starters. Use a Q tip and give a try.
Should be fine, and like you said- it's under the collar...worst case, you can touch up with a little boot cream.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Vinegar is awesome- It'll even remove rust from an old tub...
I'd stay away from the salt.
Water down the vinegar 1:1 for starters. Use a Q tip and give a try.
Should be fine, and like you said- it's under the collar...worst case, you can touch up with a little boot cream.

You got me. Went ahead and did just that. Success! Before and after:
image.jpg
image.jpg

wdw

One Too Many
Great result. I've used white vinegar to try to get rid of indigo stains on suede boots. It didn't help much, but it didn't damage the boots either.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Holy carp! that was very successful indeed.

I seem to remember that a thin vinegar solution can be used to remove salt stains from shoes (for those of us who live up north)... someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

devilish

A-List Customer
I'm a bit late as you've already done it but I would have said "go for it" as well. White vinegar, in fact, most vinegars, are safe as leather cleaners. Many other things as well. They are effective on mold too. As this incredibly wet, English winter, has proven to me.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Conclusion: vinegar (I used the household cleaning type with equal parts water as Handymike instructed +a few coats of Obenauf's LP) is safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy