Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Does Without TV?

inge77

New in Town
DVD's save the day!

I also don't have television service...too much money, and I can't stand most of what's on anyway. Plus, my best friend said that the converter box does not work for her TV, so to have TV service, one has to buy a new TV set. Which I refuse to do. I do get DVD's and VHS tapes from the Philadelphia library--which has a stellar collection--but have just recently rejoined Netflix, which I think is a very reasonable price and hassle-free. Out of all the things I'd like to buy, a new TV and cable service is at the absolute bottom of the list!

davestlouis

Practically Family
Marc, the big TV has a weird story behind it. My brother in law had a cash flow problem 3 winters ago, and his truck died. I gave him a 98 Cadillac Deville for Christmas, so he'd have wheels. His situation has improved since, and he gave us the TV for Christmas last year, as a quid pro quo for the car. I wish he hadn't given it to us, but the kids love it.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
We recently got rid of cable, and since we never got the digital converter, we're without tv as well. I really don't miss it at all. We've got lots of movies here and we signed up with Netflix. I love it! Although I now find I veg out in front of the computer more, if that were possible. lol

irb

Familiar Face
I've never had cable, and don't feel a great loss in my life for the lack of it. I haven't connected the antenna to my television in years--again, no great loss. If I want to watch something I've a DVD player (and can skip the nagging advertisements).

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My husband was without TV for 10 years, and I was without TV for two years, coincidentally while we were dating. I think that's why our relationship progressed so fast - we spent time with each other instead of with the TV.

We now have a 50" HDTV and are happy Tivo-ing anything we have time to watch. We usually put on programs while we work at night.

However, my husband is always surprised that I will instantly leave the TV to go canning during canning season. lol

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I have been a dyed in the wool TV junkie my entire life. I've always had it on in the background whether watching it or not.

I recently got fed-up with my cabal, er CABLE, service and dumped them. Since then I've only been watching occasional DVDs (of which I have a ton).

Last week my wife and I had to go out of town unexpectedly. By the second day, I realized that we had not turned the TV in our hotel room on. Not even once. It just didn't occur to us. I guess it just goes to show how habits can be made and broken.

We did eventually turn it on, but the only thing we found to watch was a re-run of Robot Chicken that we had both seen before. [huh]

Edward

Bartender
I have a TV, and no intentiion of getting rid of it for now. I am by no means beholden to it - actually, although i probably use it less, I'd miss the raqdio more - but there is still stuff on I like to watch. Especially with the advent of Freeview (40-odd free to air channels on digital), I find a lot of tthe subsidiary channels showing a lot of repeats of great old shows - Poirot is just one I have rediscovered. I don't see myself getting rid of a TV, though I do very much intend when I redecorate my lounge to build it into a cabinet of some sort so that it doesn't have to be a 'feature' in the room when not in use.

What I find I have moved away from is the VCR. I went over to DVD for playing / buying films a fair few years ago. I have been hanging on to the VHS player to use for time-shifting, but I find what with free online services and repeats on subsidiary channels, I haven't felt the need of that in several years now. (I think I last switched it on about four years ago). Eventually, I am tempted to pick up one of those Blu-Ray HDD all-in-one boxes when they're no longer a grand (they'll probably be down to 200 by this time nex year, lol ), though I'm increasingly beginning to wonder whether I'd actually use anything on it beyond the -player function. I may just go ahead and buy a decent BD player and be done with it....

As to TVs, I love flat screens: much more easily hidden out of the way. Sure, I would adore to have a 40s or 50s styled set as an outer casing for modern screen / innards, but I also want a large screen, which just wasn't an option back then. The ultimate option would be to replace the TV with a projector, but unfortunately the bulbs in those have a finite life and it works out too expensive to just use as a television.

Edward said:
As to TVs, I love flat screens: much more easily hidden out of the way. Sure, I would adore to have a 40s or 50s styled set as an outer casing for modern screen / innards, but I also want a large screen, which just wasn't an option back then. The ultimate option would be to replace the TV with a projector, but unfortunately the bulbs in those have a finite life and it works out too expensive to just use as a television.
Y'know how a lot of "War Room" scenes in movies have the maps hidden behind a moving panel in the wall? Sounds like what you need...

Gene

Practically Family
I think this thread has shown us that the Internet has basically replaced TV for a lot of people. Good or bad thing? You be the judge.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
We haven't watched TV in years, we killed off the cable so many years ago that I can no longer remember how long ago its been. We only turn on the set here to watch our old VHS tapes and DVDs (mostly old movies or new movies set in the Golden Era, Edwardian or Regency periods).

Our 13yo son especially loves reading books, plays the trumpet for school and he's a good ballroom dancer. Our daughter enjoys playing with her dolls still, and doing old fashion crafts such as knitting, sewing and drawing. Me, I love to sew, sing. DH gardens and does home building projects. All four of us ballroom dance. We enjoy attending vintage events and music performances as a family. We all volunteer with our Art Deco Society and a local Pops Orchestra. Those things and church activities keeps us all pretty busy, so we don't really have a lot of time for watching tv anyway.

Frankly, we don't even miss it.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I haven had TV channels in 3 years....I'm fine without it. My father wanted to get cable and my brother and I refused to let him [huh] We have tv's, for movies only. I use internet, read,sketch, sing, and do community theatre, I have no time for regular tv shows, even if we DID have them.

Weston

A-List Customer
Not a huge fan here, but we do have a 42" Plasma dominating the living room. My wife adores TV, as she's home all day with our one year old. The only money I sunk into it after purchase was $23 for a massive UHF external antenna that gets all the OTA stations.

However, I live in Oklahoma, and to live through spring and summer without a TV on is a dangerous proposition. How do you non-watchers become aware of severe weather?

(And yes, I know, not everywhere is "blessed" with tornadoes).

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
We haven't watched TV in years, we killed off the cable so many years ago that I can no longer remember how long ago its been. We only turn on the set here to watch our old VHS tapes and DVDs (mostly old movies or new movies set in the Golden Era, Edwardian or Regency periods).

Our 13yo son especially loves reading books, plays the trumpet for school and he's a good ballroom dancer. Our daughter enjoys playing with her dolls still, and doing old fashion crafts such as knitting, sewing and drawing. Me, I love to sew, sing. DH gardens and does home building projects. All four of us ballroom dance. We enjoy attending vintage events and music performances as a family. We all volunteer with our Art Deco Society and a local Pops Orchestra. Those things and church activities keeps us all pretty busy, so we don't really have a lot of time for watching tv anyway.

Frankly, we don't even miss it.

Wow! You are a family made in heaven!:)

Inky

One Too Many
another long-time TV lover. I spend 1-2 hours a day, in the evening watching TV and doing hand sewing, knitting or some other craft. It's my down time with the hubby and we enjoy it. i sit all day in front of the computer so I sure don't want to be looking at that after 8 hours, and I spend about 3-4 hours w/o TV right after I finish work. We mostly watch TCM, Discovery, History, BBC America (oh how I miss Torchwood already), Food Network, and Family Guy ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Weston said:
However, I live in Oklahoma, and to live through spring and summer without a TV on is a dangerous proposition. How do you non-watchers become aware of severe weather?

(And yes, I know, not everywhere is "blessed" with tornadoes).

I live at the edge of Tornado Alley. To check the weather, I

• visit wunderground.com.
  • listen to the radio.
  • am close enough to Denver to hear their sirens.
  • go outside and look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany