Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are wrinkles undesireable?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Why do we like to collect old things, but when it comes to personal aesthetics, we try to hide those very same things we adore in material objects? The signs of history, experience and character?

Well? :rolleyes:

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Apparently society treats getting older in very negative fashion that is why laws have been promulgated to protect the elderly.

Who wants to be targeted?

Besides it appears that being old represents death etc. "hiding" those signs is possibly an attempt at avoiding the realities therein.[huh]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
And there is a double standard! It's quite unfair, but men seem to be able to get away with a few wrinkles and gray hairs more than women.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
And there is a double standard! It's quite unfair, but men seem to be able to get away with a few wrinkles and gray hairs more than women.

Who do you think is more harsh? The opposite sex, or other women?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm currently being stalked by a 23 year old. It appears that she has no problem with a few wrinkles.

Me! A Sugar Daddy.:eusa_doh:

Esme

One of the Regulars
I have recently been struggling with a few new wrinkles and lines. I suppose it came about because we are getting ready for a trip home (for me) to the US, where I will see some folks I haven't seen in two and three years. I also think I have a few more wrinkles and lines than I normally would because I have lost almost 90 lbs in that time period. For me it was more the issue of looking "different" to what I am used to. I think the picture in my head and the one in the mirror did (or do) not match.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I plan on aging "gracefully", and looking and acting like my idol Patsy in Absolutely Fabulous. Unlike the rest of society I don't find older men attractive, so I'll probably still be flirting with young men just like her :D

abfab.jpg

patsy.jpg

or Margo
review_allabouteve.jpg

or Mrs. Robinson
15844_3_3_2008_10_31_24_PM_-_anne.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
True beauty is timeless. It is more than just a pretty face. I measure character, poise, attitude, and a truly undefinable "dynamism" in the person. Add all that up I never see "wrinkle" but I do see charming character attributes and flaws.

I'll take a real woman any day of the week.

Bergman.jpg

art_bergman-ingrid_083107.jpg

is happiness a matter of age?

now that i detect a lot of wrinkles over the years (and hair getting greyish shine at the temples!) i sometimes realize that i am really turning fourty this year. but are we really getting old? very often i catch myself being so foolish, ditsy and childish that i cannot beliefe my age by myself. but other people say i'm experienced, intensive and authentic - all qualities your developing together with age. so isn't it that we always have a different picture of ourselves than others do? am i getting mad about my wrinkles and laugh lines the same day a beautiful woman twinklin' at me during lunch break? and a second one an hour later?

beeing honest - are we scared about the wrinkle itself or isn't that we're just afraid of loosing attraction? but isn't it that we are impressed by the fresh, radiant people - and not by the young baby-faces?

should we really care for wrinkles instead of value, contentment and veracity?

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I forget where I read this. A woman wrote that other older women trying to look younger end up looking like tired 30-some year olds and she would rather look 50, spry and well rested. I hope I feel the same way when I am older.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
I just brought this up over on the "Movie Maidens" thread, because that website is very ageist. It's very disheartening to me to see the change that comes over women I know once they age past 45, and suddenly become terrified of losing their looks, and therefore, their relevance. Has it really come to this?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wrinkles mean older, and for women that traditionally meant past child bearing years. The opposite is for men, wrinkles meant estate, and he could provide for that child bearing woman. :rolleyes:

That has all translated into iconic status of today, where older men in Hollywood films are teamed up with 18 year old 'lady' scientists :eusa_doh:

There are a few ladies who brake the mold, but they are generally far more beautiful than your average starlet and in tern that extra loveliness translates into their longer years.

Wrinkles also mean experience, life lessons (take that how you will). The human notion of being 'the first' at well, anything relating to women is still iconic in mindsets today.

Its all relative, most just dont think a few lines on a womans face would create such a reaction.

LD

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Lotta Little said:
I just brought this up over on the "Movie Maidens" thread, because that website is very ageist. It's very disheartening to me to see the change that comes over women I know once they age past 45, and suddenly become terrified of losing their looks, and therefore, their relevance. Has it really come to this?

Madonna comes to mind.

These statements are from a Camille Pagila article:

"Even as a wife and mother, Madonna can't seem to escape an adolescent angst and self-absorption. Yet the CD's brassy cover image, with that ostentatiously exposed crotch and hard-bitten face lo lling its tongue like a dissolute old streetwalker, is still hammering at sex as if it's Madonna's last, desperate selling point. Sex for sternly workaholic Madonna has become a brittle concept rather than a sensual reality, a monotonous compulsiveness diverting her from artistic self-development."

"Catherine Deneuve, for example, like Marlene Dietrich before her, has gained in majesty by acting her age and not trying to imitate ditzy 20-year-olds."

Article here.

The part pertaining to Madonna starts on the 2nd paragraph.

And here are some wrinkly older woman I adore. :)

isabella_rossellini_1761161.jpg
catherine_deneuve_reference.jpg

helen_mirren.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner