Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Doran said:
Luckily the 1970s trope of "everything must be analyzed in terms of victims and oppressors" is going away in favor of something more nuanced, more interesting, less black-and-white, less full of blame against Oppression and Oppressors.

And when this attitude disappears, Marx will have finally been buried. I cannot wait.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lincsong said:
J.S. if you mean; Farrah Fawcett, Cheryl Tiegs, Jacqueline Smith, Barbi Benton and a host of other '70s babes I've got no argument with you.:eusa_clap

But as for Bella Abzug, Gloria Steinem, Linda Ronstadt, Jane Fonda, they are offensive today, yesterday, and millenium in to the future.
:rage:

I just feel like the good political points of even 1970s feminism, the necessary ones, the important lesson about women's right to be independent and to make their own decisions, could have been made sensibly and reasonably without the really ugly, horribly over the top, quite frankly misandrist (= man-hating) posturing. And they would have gained more converts if they had mollified the harshness.

Further, that generation of young men who went along with 1970s feminism wholeheartedly (despite the misandry blatantly inherent in many of its writings), trying to "get in touch with their feminine side" and growing their hair long and relinquishing "patriarchy" and so on (a generation of men that many people would perhaps cruelly call sellouts) would now be able to feel more of a sense of self-worth and less of a nagging feeling of "my god, I can't believe I put up with some of that. Was I crazy?"

Dr Doran

Feng_Li said:
And when this attitude disappears, Marx will have finally been buried. I cannot wait.

I don't think he'll ever be buried ... too damn important, too influential on history, and, as CRAZILY misguided as he was about human nature and about teleology, and as horrible a set of regimes as he inspired, he was absolutely brilliant (economics, classics, pre-Socratic philosophy, politics), one of the most brilliant people in terms only of sheer raw penetrating intelligence who ever lived, and he came up with something quite original.
But I know what you mean. He is not one of my favorites and his long influence on Thought is not something I like, especially at this point in history when we really have learned all we needed from his point of view. Time to move on from Marxism and especially from the vulgar gutter-marxist children he spawned.

Dr Doran

Feng_Li said:

I don't think he'll ever be buried ... too interesting, too influential on history, and, as CRAZILY misguided as he was about human nature and about teleology, and as horrible a set of regimes as he inspired, he was absolutely brilliant (economics, classics, pre-Socratic philosophy, politics), one of the most brilliant people in terms only of sheer raw penetrating intelligence who ever lived, and he came up with something quite original.
But I know what you mean. He is not one of my favorites and his long influence on Thought is not something I like, especially at this point in history when we really have learned all we needed from his point of view. Time to move on from Marxism and especially from the vulgar gutter-marxist children he spawned.

akaBruno

Suspended
I think I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Weak men, fearful of strong women, digressing on endless pointless tangents incessantly... It's all political. You guys bash anything that doesn't fit into to your lil rush-limbian point of view. lol

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
akaBruno said:
I think I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Weak men, fearful of strong women, digressing on endless pointless tangents incessantly... It's all political. You guys bash anything that doesn't fit into to your lil rush-limbian point of view. lol

Actually, it's the weak, purse carrier men (formerly known as hen pecked) who follow the likes of Betty Friedan, Gloria Steinem, Jane Fonda et al who will need the strong, brave and fearless men to protect society.

Which brings up another monster; Betty Friedan.:rage:

Doran said:
It is possible to have misgivings about the extremeness of Second Wave feminism of the 1970s, and also to dislike the styles, without wanting women to go back into the kitchen!

I like the suffragette movement fine and I find 1990s/2000s Third Wave feminism quite interesting. However, I remember some very ugly and ill things done in the name of 1970s Second Wave feminism and let me point out that one did not need to do all these things in order to get out of the kitchen. As with almost all movements, there was an overreaction included with the good part. I suspect Powers will agree that there was a good part. Hearing things like "Women can do anything men can do ... but better" when you are a 7 year old boy is bound to rub you the wrong way, to come off as very aggressive and needlessly nasty -- especially if the men in your family were very considerate and polite toward women, without being Second Wave feminists.

I am pleased that Third Wave feminists largely agree that a great deal of the ideas contained in 1970s feminism, although it made certain advances, is in great need of rethinking and modification.

All good points I can agree with and in line with what I was thinking. When some nut comes off and says that all intimate relations between men and women is rape then I have to say foul and crazy.
Camille Paglia has it right.
My wife won't let me touch anything in the kitchen.

Regards,

J

Fredo

New in Town
I don't teally hate the 1970s that much as I was born during that decade. But if I were to point the finger of hate to a specific cultural aspect of style, I'd have to say it was the Bert Convey medium fro. The fro, paired with tanning bed skin, blue blockers, gold chain, and a wiiiiiide collared shirt practically opened to the navel makes me say "wow", those turkeys really had no clue.

BertConvy2.jpg

akaBruno said:
And I'd be willing to bet that you guy's favorite vegetable is Ketchup specially prepared by Ann Coulter. :D

And you can leave the politics at the door. [bad]
I see no one accusing you of drinking the Clinton coolaide or having your borscht prepared by Stalin. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:
We are talking about things that happened during an era not about which party is right etc. Refer to:http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12434

Regards,

J

akaBruno

Suspended
My contention is ... Your own criticism of the 60'/70's era is politically motivated. That's quite obvious from your own statements. I should have seen it from the start. I did a little back check and confirmed it as true.

It's time to move on to your era...
FlockoSeagulls.jpg

akaBruno said:
My contention is ... Your own criticism of the 60'/70's era is politically motivated. That's quite obvious from your own statements. I should have seen it from the start. I did a little back check and confirmed it as true.

Its time for you to comment somewhere else and leave it alone.
History is one thing but being completely ridiculous and facetious is something else. :rolleyes:

akaBruno

Suspended
jamespowers said:
Its time for you to comment somewhere else and leave it alone.
History is one thing but being completely ridiculous and facetious is something else. :rolleyes:

I concur completely. And suggest the same. :cool:

BRUNO

Dr Doran

For the record, I am VERY left. No Limbaugh or Coulter chez moi. I'm a francophile, I vote Democrat, etc. The only difference is, I believe in critiquing even the movements of which I am generally in favor.
To assert that a humorous critique of a sub-movement is equal to being a Rightist Monster is an utter abuse of critical thinking.
Politics are there to be thought about and unraveled. Not to be paid allegiance to.

akaBruno

Suspended
Doran said:
For the record, I am VERY left. No Limbaugh or Coulter chez moi. I'm a francophile, I vote Democrat, etc. The only difference is, I believe in critiquing even the movements of which I am generally in favor.

Most of you elite academians are. :D

Forgive me. I suspected (smelled) something fishy about the bashing. So when the opportunity arose... I threw out a lil bait. Reeled in what I expected. :D And all without espousing any of my own political views. ;)

Back to the 70's...

What started in the late 60's and bled into the 70's was a cultural revolution. It came about as a result of opposition to the Viet Nam War. For those of us growing up then... it was a way of throwing off the past lunacy that kept leading us from one war into another. Fashion had to follow.

My best guess about Hippie fashion is that it was born out of poverty and thrift shops. To make it their own, they just got a lil creative. Gawdy as it was... it was a statement...

Jimi Hendrix "If 6 Was 9"
White collared conservative flashing down the street,
Pointing their plastic finger at me.
They're hoping soon my kind will drop and die,
But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high, high.
Wave on, wave on
Fall mountains, just don't fall on me
Go ahead on Mr. Business man, you can't dress like me.
Sing on Brother, play on drummer.
jimi.gif

btw, I've never considered myself a Flower Child... just a byproduct of the '60's :D

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
To assert that a humorous critique of a sub-movement is equal to being a Rightist Monster is an utter abuse of critical thinking.
Politics are there to be thought about and unraveled. Not to be paid allegiance to.

A Francophile??????:eek: I never would have guessed you and Francisco Franco.:D

Hey, if anyone thinks Betty Friedan, Gloria Steinem and Bella Abzug are bodacious babes then to each his own.;)

Dr Doran

akaBruno said:
Most of you elite academians are. :D

Forgive me. I suspected (smelled) something fishy about the bashing. So when the opportunity arose... I threw out a lil bait. Reeled in what I expected. :D And all without espousing any of my own political views. ;)

Back to the 70's...

What started in the late 60's and bled into the 70's was a cultural revolution. It came about as a result of opposition to the Viet Nam War. For those of us growing up then... it was a way of throwing off the past lunacy that kept leading us from one war into another. Fashion had to follow.

My best guess about Hippie fashion is that it was born out of poverty and thrift shops. To make it their own, they just got a lil creative. Gawdy as it was... it was a statement...

Jimi Hendrix "If 6 Was 9"

jimi.gif

btw, I've never considered myself a Flower Child... just a byproduct of the '60's :D

Hee hee, fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic