Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emer

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
Am I the only one who hates the 1970s?

Do the rest of you feel this way, or am I just a hateful misanthropic bad man?

Nope! I'm definitely not a fan of the 70's (or late 60's for that matter). But I believe my dislike stems from being raised by my grandparents. My grandfather always had amusing stories about the "damned hippies" and what an upheaval those times were. I think subconciously I just associate the 70's with the disrespect for the previous generations, which are the decades I love. Not saying that's how it was! That's just the line that's been fed to me.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I just saw a neauseating clip on youtube with Cher, Avalon, Boone, Dimucci and Valli. I really hate those 70s shows! Dion made it sort of worth watching. I like Frank(ie) but this was just toe curling!

Kermez

A-List Customer
metropd said:
Lets Not forget the Funk. The best music that came out of that era........P-Funk, The Uncut Funk, da Bomb!!!!

Fa Reallidoe, Baby! :D

bootsy-collins.jpg

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
looking at this thread makes me happy to have been raised by parents who sort of withdrew from the world during the 70's and 80's (and 90's too, but i was around by then!). they were back-to-the-landers and moved from st. pete/tampa bay, FL to the middle of the mark twain nat'l forest area in southern missouri 30-some odd years ago. lived in a converted school bus while my dad built a house, pretty much out of tune with the trends and such. so growing up, i only knew music from the '60s and earlier, watched old TV shows like dick vandyke/i love lucy - there was a bit of 90's influence, but only once i hit school age. i always feel a bit left out when people my age i know talk about all these things (tv shows, video games, music) from their youth/growing up, because i've never heard of them!

as to the 70's, i'll just say 'no thanks!'

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
one good thing to come from the '70's - pants and sweaters that are slim/long enough for my husband! (in the form of old things belonging to his dad/uncle...who thankfully didn't go for the extreme styles)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I hate the 1970s because the 1970s hated me.
I was too young, too precocious, too poorly adjusted. I was lucky I didn't get wiped right off the face of the earth a couple of times as a kid. I was mouthy, and fearful, and impatient, and didn't want to grow up. I was born at the wrong time, and that was a very bad time to have been born at the wrong time. And I paid for it, and will be paying for it the rest of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner