Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do thick leathers keep getting recommended?

Edward

Bartender
As members of a forum that exists almost exclusively to present photos of us wearing various items of overpriced clothing, it rarely crosses my mind to insult others on social media who do the same.

As a member of a forum that I may well consider to be an integral part of the ‚leather jacket scene‘, I also am hesitant to feel superior to other ‚scenes‘ on social media.

If something I see on Insta or elsewhere triggers bad emotions, I simply ignore it. I don’t rant about it on other platforms.

Indeed. I remember a few years ago, we got trolled on TFL, and had these sorts of posts you're talking about (albeit rather more vicious) made on their own forum by a bunch of bodybuilder meatheads. It's certainly worth bearing in mind the experience of being on the receiving end when tempted to dish it out.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Like I said, I'm impressed at how guys like you figure out how to get a following and so on... It's not something I'm interested in spending my energy on, but I recognize how much work it can be.
For me it's not about getting a following or about gathering likes. I'm not focused on pleasing my crowd. That's not the primary goal.

I really enjoy taking pics of my jackets. I can spend half an hour to find those angles that highlight the beauty of a jacket best. To me jackets are not just things to wear, to me they are pieces of art. Jackets are very photogenic and I started photographing them long before I started sharing pics on Instagram. I guess by now I must have about 15,000 jacket pics on my phone. Instagram is a great tool that helps me organize those pics.

Long story short, for me Instagram is not just about feeding my own vanity by gathering cudos. I can't speak for others of course but I do know that some of these guys are really into photography, owning fancy cameras with multiple lenses. Creating content is a way for them to enjoy the photography hobby.

Jacket art :D

C83953E6-8F4E-4CCA-90B0-F6655C3C6327.jpeg

IMG_0233_jpg.jpeg
IMG_1859.jpeg
IMG_4388.jpeg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Like I said, I'm impressed at how guys like you figure out how to get a following and so on... It's not something I'm interested in spending my energy on, but I recognize how much work it can be.
To put another point of view next to Marc's...
I invest very little time in my posts. I actually only take pictures of what I wear every day. I then like to look up what I was wearing and when, so that I don't wear the same thing again the next time I'm with the same people. I like to be dressed differently (ok, not in terms of style, but in terms of clothes ;) ).
And to be honest, I have no idea why people follow me and want to see my posts. Half of my followers are probably Pakistani clothing manufacturers who only follow me so that they can write me a message.
Fortunately, I don't have to sell anything or make a living from IG in any other way. But it's still kind of funny.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
This just reminded me of when some influencer channel did a video with a tour of the Schott factory and interview of Jason Schott, and it kept cutting to the guy driving his Porsche up and down the street, and stopping to explain to Jason how a good leather jacket is iconic like his Porsche 911 and his watch. :D (Like many men I am into watches and motoring but I think I cringed so hard I must have inverted myself.)
Are on that other forum I frequent ?;)

Brandrea33

One Too Many
As members of a forum that exists almost exclusively to present photos of us wearing various items of overpriced clothing, it rarely crosses my mind to insult others on social media who do the same.

As a member of a forum that I may well consider to be an integral part of the ‚leather jacket scene‘, I also am hesitant to feel superior to other ‚scenes‘ on social media.

If something I see on Insta or elsewhere triggers bad emotions, I simply ignore it. I don’t rant about it on other platforms.
Well said Tom, I agree 100%.

For me it's not about getting a following or about gathering likes. I'm not focused on pleasing my crowd. That's not the primary goal.

I really enjoy taking pics of my jackets. I can spend half an hour to find those angles that highlight the beauty of a jacket best. To me jackets are not just things to wear, to me they are pieces of art. Jackets are very photogenic and I started photographing them long before I started sharing pics on Instagram. I guess by now I must have about 15,000 jacket pics on my phone. Instagram is a great tool that helps me organize those pics.

Long story short, for me Instagram is not just about feeding my own vanity by gathering cudos. I can't speak for others of course but I do know that some of these guys are really into photography, owning fancy cameras with multiple lenses. Creating content is a way for them to enjoy the photography hobby.

View attachment 616075
View attachment 616076 View attachment 616077 View attachment 616078

IMO— You make it about the jackets. One can see and feel that. I enjoy your content. Fjorde and the Fjorde-wannabes don’t. One can see and feel that too. I don’t enjoy their content. Folks can do what and enjoy what they want of course.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars

View attachment 616075
Marc, that is indeed jacket art!

And I think you know that is leaps and bounds ahead of the people I’m talking about :)

Dredgen Yor

New in Town

View attachment 616075
Don’t believe him. Marc is an omega level fjorde patiently playing the long game and cultivating his true intention of selling us all numbered signed copies of his inevitable book..Motorcycle Jackets: A Century of Leather Design the sequel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace