Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why low armholes? My theory.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Look at the exaggerated catalogue drawings- the armhole can't be tight against the chest because it wouldn't work- but the shape of the jacket swoops inward from armpit, down chest, to the waist- leaving the armhole portion out on a limb... I'm just trying to say that the jacket is trying to make a shape beyond the human form and needs some filling to make the two meet somewhere, without any empty bits.
The technical drawings in the dept. store catalogues call it an armpit-pad.
I think- I thought it could be to maintain the required masculine, modern form- like shoulder pads. I must admit to not having a jacket with armpit pads, so I'm trying to be creative here.
Better?

Sorry, this week, I have mostly been drunk.

B
T

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:

a little... i can imagine what you're describing, but don't see it in actual jackets. are you talking about a specific time such as the late 30s exaggerated shoulder ? in the late 20s - early 30s the arm holes seem to be very close to the body, which appears to be the opposite of what you're saying.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Just as long as you can imagine it- that's fine.
Where a jacket is constructed in a form beyond the wearer, the empty space must be filled with something- just like shoulder pads. As you have canvas and sometimes padding in jacket fronts, so could it be used to create/fill the shape from the high armhole and transitioning down to a close-fitting chest and waist.

And yes- to the exaggerated shoulder and chest shape.
Have you not seen the side of the chest turn out toward the armhole on a jacket with a fuller shoulder? To match the wider shoulder...

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner