Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will hemlines drop this year?

Minerva

Familiar Face
Helysoune said:
I'm with you on that one. I find myself actually saying that outloud these days. And what you said about those jeans reminded me of the other thing I gag when I see anymore - people whose backsides are actually sticking out of the tops of their trousers. This look, once restricted to plummers and therefore appropriately nicknamed, has now found its way onto even the most "fashionable" bottoms. I just don't get it.

Oh dear, yes, another pet peeve of mine. I'll tolerate it if someone is in a hands-on tool-toting sort of job and is presently repairing my sink or similar. Otherwise, I need to think of a polite way to let someone know that I really don't need to see their underwear (or lack thereof). There's a reason it's called underwear! Is 'snowing down south' still a current expression?

Anyhow, I'm glad about the change of skirt lengths. My husband will simply have to tolerate going pattern and fabric shopping this weekend. I'm in dire need of clothes and wouldn't be caught dead in the fashionable skirt lengths the last few years. I refuse to buy any more ready-made skirts. The last couple of rounds haven't held up at all, and for what they cost, I could have bought enough fabric for a dozen skirts.

Edward

Bartender
One trend I'm desperately hoping dies out soon in women's fahion over here are those 80s style skirts - I think they're called puffball? The flowing out of a thirties skirt from the hips, but stopping juat above the knee with a pulled in hem. Maybe they're designed for fashion waifs (might make them look like that actually have some hips, then), I don't know, but they're desperately unflattering on anyone I've seen them on. From an observational pov, it's hard to beat the visual effect of a good 40s style pencil skirt. :)

:eek:fftopic: but an associated aside... I see a lot of the fashion columns in the press here that I have read recently are still heralding a return to forties fashions for women - here's hoping. I just wish they'd do the same for men... unless one can afford to go bespoke, it's nigh on impossible to buy a new, vintage style suit in the UK; equally so a pair of trousers with a decently high waist.

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
I concur on the "too short jeans" and "too short skirt look" being not so nice...the sad thing is that so many young girls wear those "too low jeans" and if they are a even bit overweight it makes them look fat when they really are not!! It is terrible when the fads are not flattering! I also do not care for the recent resurrection of the "70s looking peasant top" on girls that make them look pregnant! I hope the upcoming longer skirts bring with them a range of tasteful looking clothes from casual to dress! (All they have to do is bring back the vintage looks of the 30s & 40s, right? If they would only study the Grace Kelly look it would solve it all ;-) ))

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Edward said:
One trend I'm desperately hoping dies out soon in women's fahion over here are those 80s style skirts - I think they're called puffball? The flowing out of a thirties skirt from the hips, but stopping juat above the knee with a pulled in hem. Maybe they're designed for fashion waifs (might make them look like that actually have some hips, then), I don't know, but they're desperately unflattering on anyone I've seen them on. From an observational pov, it's hard to beat the visual effect of a good 40s style pencil skirt. :)

I think you mean a bubble skirt, but I seem to remember the term puffball, too. I had some, when I was under age 10. They looked fabulous then - now, not so much! lol

Longer skirt lengths (and not just maxi) are definitely back, especially in high fashion. For instance, Donna Karan's Spring line featured several below-the-knee skirts. I suppose it will trickle down to the masses eventually. For now, I'm making my own skirts and dresses.

Mojito

One Too Many
Edward said:
DDD, I'm sure your thighs are just fine! From a gentleman's perspective, though, if one feels a definite need to avert one's eyes when the lady is seated or going upstairs on the bus in front of one, then perchance the skirt is too short. Me, I have always liked the long-with-split look in an evening gown - just a flash of stocking top will always be infinitely sexier than the paltry excuse for a dress sported by the tangoed hordes of the mainstream that pass for ladies nowadays.

I'm imagining this in drag....

morrisey2.jpg

Different Morrissey, I take it!!!? lol

Lol! Yes, I think of him every time I see Peter Morrissey's shops!

He's a popular Australian designer - http://www.morrissey.net.au/ Some of my friends aren't that keen on his designs - one of them told me he designs primarily for the Oompa Loompas (those who use far too much fake tan, thus the orange hue, and flash brand names), but I've found a few pieces from him that I like, including a smart suit in a raisin colour and quite a few dresses, some of them a bit frou frou but very pretty. You just have to pick and choose. This black dress has a good cut and an interesting tie arrangement at the waist, and is otherwise very simple and long.

Edward

Bartender
Hee... oopah loompahs.... lol Up here, we usually say they've been Tangoed (not sure if Tango exists down there? It's basically like Fanta, same colour... 'You've been tangoed' was an avertising slogan they run with).

SRL: could be, it would make sense. :) Unfortunatley as the term "vintage" here now means pretty much anything second hand that the target market aren't old enough to have worn first time around, there's a lot of stuff getting "vintage credibility" that shouls have been left in the past where it belong (pretty much anything 80s, for a start...). lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
I thought I was going to be pleased with the 40s inspired styles in the Daily Mail today but I'm disappointed that, as usual, the hemlengths are above my preferred length. Some are just above knee and will fall longer on me, but why oh why is below knee considered outdated and granny these days?! I'm happy to be outdated and granny. Not Daily Mail's wording but that's what others tell me when they ask me why I won't buy this or that skirt they think looks retro/vintage and should be my taste.

Mojito

One Too Many
Edward said:
Hee... oopah loompahs.... lol Up here, we usually say they've been Tangoed (not sure if Tango exists down there? It's basically like Fanta, same colour... 'You've been tangoed' was an avertising slogan they run with).
Oh yes! Happy memories of my years in the UK. It also applies to Tang - the preferred drink of spacemen.

I had a friend who worked in a cocktail lounge who told me that when the overly orange crowd came in on a Saturday night, the bar staff would be singing "Oompa-Loompa Oompty do!"*

*No criticism of fake tan per se is intended - I've donned it myself before going on diving holidays in the middle of winter. It's that particular orange, usually accompanied by pale hands, soles and around the eyes that I'm thinking of.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, never understood that one myself.... Okay, sun tans in general are not my aesthetic preference, they are other folks - that I can see. And a fake tan is generally safer than the real thing. But why deliberately go for the oompah-orange colour when it's so obviously artificial? It's like people who have some form of cosmetic surgery opting for a deliberately fake look - I just don't get it myself. [huh]

Lillemor, I know exactly what you mean. Somehow it's almost more frustrating when the mainstream clothing market produces something that is almost right - but just not quite there - than when there's nothing.... Be glad, though, of the availability you do have. Seems to me that the market in vintage repro is heavily dominated by women's styles, with much less availability for guys. It's actually easier for me to find reproduction civilian clothing from the Victorian era than from the 40s. [huh]

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face
Mojito---Don't know whether I should shriek or hug you for posting that Morrissey album cover, being a big Smiths/Morrissey fan, as I am, since The Fedora Lounge is one of the few places where I can forget I'm a fan, living in "Moz Angeles," as some fans call it! A bit off topic, but since you started something, here's "You Are The Quarry" re-created in Lego style:

morriseey-lego-300x300.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Edward posted it first, DecoDahlia - I wish I could take the credit for it! *Love* the spoof cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo