Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Willoughby Hats...of Paris?

Rumad

One Too Many
An Etsy find. I bought it on a lark, no questions about size or condition, which is unusual for me. After seeing Joe's score, however, I had Willoughby on the mind and this one was cheap so I just hit the buy button. Glad I did! It is not only a fantastic quality hat Ut it is also unusual in that the sweatband is cloth, and stitched to the liner. I think it was meant to be packed in a suitcase.

View attachment 410297 View attachment 410298 View attachment 410299 View attachment 410300 View attachment 410301 View attachment 410302 View attachment 410304 View attachment 410306 View attachment 410305 View attachment 410308

The brim is just shy of 2",the crown just under 6. It weighs 108g. Fits my 58cm head just right! :) The felt is dense, soft, dry creases easily, and you can dent it by blowing on it.
It has a late 20's to early 30's vibe to me, but as always, any opinions as to age are welcome!
Spectacular dude. And what luck that it fits!

An Etsy find. I bought it on a lark, no questions about size or condition, which is unusual for me. After seeing Joe's score, however, I had Willoughby on the mind and this one was cheap so I just hit the buy button. Glad I did! It is not only a fantastic quality hat Ut it is also unusual in that the sweatband is cloth, and stitched to the liner. I think it was meant to be packed in a suitcase.

View attachment 410297 View attachment 410298 View attachment 410299 View attachment 410300 View attachment 410301 View attachment 410302 View attachment 410304 View attachment 410306 View attachment 410305 View attachment 410308

The brim is just shy of 2",the crown just under 6. It weighs 108g. Fits my 58cm head just right! :) The felt is dense, soft, dry creases easily, and you can dent it by blowing on it.
It has a late 20's to early 30's vibe to me, but as always, any opinions as to age are welcome!
Really nice find John

Nice. It does have an old vibe. And you're probably right about it being a traveller.

That's a great find, John. It certainly has that 30-s vibe to it. I think we've seen a hat before with the liner and cloth sweatband stitched together. I believe the theory was that they were meant to be worn to formal occasions.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
That's a great find, John. It certainly has that 30-s vibe to it. I think we've seen a hat before with the liner and cloth sweatband stitched together. I believe the theory was that they were meant to be worn to formal occasions.
Thanks Stefan!
I did think about that particular hat when first I held this one, but to my memory it had the satin cloth sweatband also extending out the underside of the brim and was then sewn around like a brim binding. My memory, however, may be as fuzzy as that sable finish Willoughby you posted...
Then again, we could be thinking of totally different hats.
It will be a traveller, AND a formal hat, as I will most likely be wearing it to my Uncle's wedding next month.:)

Thanks Stefan!
I did think about that particular hat when first I held this one, but to my memory it had the satin cloth sweatband also extending out the underside of the brim and was then sewn around like a brim binding. My memory, however, may be as fuzzy as that sable finish Willoughby you posted...
Then again, we could be thinking of totally different hats.
It will be a traveller, AND a formal hat, as I will most likely be wearing it to my Uncle's wedding next month.:)
I think we're thinking of the same hat:). I just expect a traveler to be unlined. Whatever it is though, it is a great find.

ABSOLUTELY!! Many collapsible toppers are made the same way, I have seen many......including at least one in my "collection". Have NOT seen so many of the pocket opera hats (or a version of tuxedo hat) as these were often advertised. Often you can see the hat(s) advertised as an ancillary item in an ad about men's formal wear.....

ABSOLUTELY!! Many collapsible toppers are made the same way, I have seen many......including at least one in my "collection". Have NOT seen so many of the pocket opera hats (or a version of tuxedo hat) as these were often advertised. Often you can see the hat(s) advertised as an ancillary item in an ad about men's formal wear.....
Well, there you go. Good to see you posting, Mark! You've been missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda