Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windward jackets by Montgomery Ward (and copies)

nevadapd

Familiar Face
Hi NevadaPD - If you go with the A-2 style epaulettes and stud down collar suggest order without breastpockets - yes, less could be more...
With the standard collar I would take one breast pocket - I like the decent Halfbelt pocket and almost realized that I need a breast pocket for sunglasses, Mobilphone etc.

Yes, I think you're right about the epaulettes & stud down collar really making the sans breastpockets look. And no question pockets can be functional for all the little stuff we need to schlepp around these days.

As for the Japanese Highwayman, I tend to prefer older school designs in my jackets, so I'm in agreement with the sentiments expressed by Windward, HoosierDaddy, and ButteMT61, but I'm curious what the back of the jacket looks like. Also, younger folks might like this design as, you know, the Matrix gets reloaded.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
The Japanese version doesn't look anything like a Highwayman to me! more an Aero version of a cheap mall jacket,
Not for me!

D

Windward

Practically Family
Hi - here yoou can see my Vintage brown Windward after 10 month - since the dry spots bother me I dare to try Pecard...and...like the result.

Before Pecard....

IMGP2939.jpg

IMGP2941.jpg

dryspot.jpg

After the tender treatment....
VinatgeBrownFQHH_leftdryspots_rightafterpecardtreatment.jpg

AfterPecard1.jpg

AfterPecard3.jpg

AfterPecard4.jpg

AfterPecard6.jpg

mimaximax

New in Town
Impressive looks and patinas ! The jacket suits you very nicely actually. I'm also impressed how supple/soft the FQHH cordovan one got into only three months. Any new picture to show us ?

Thanks for your report and for the tip about the Alden colour by the way ;)

Cooperson

One Too Many
Three very nice Aero's Mr Windward, the style suits you very well. Great to see the three colors next to each in that last pic - thanks for posting.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Windward, you really need to get a Cherry jacket to complete the set. :D

And then you can start on the other hides...

Windward

Practically Family
Thanks Gentleman for reopen this thread and the compliments ...

@mimaximax ... @Mr.Cooperson ....Its always a pleasure to see - and show - how an Aero develope character ...
@Graemsay .... like to complete the look with shoes in (fairly) similiar colors - so cherry would be a problem cause I dont have "cherry shoes"... I was tempted to go with natural horsehide next - but I fear I wouldn't wear it as often as the brownies or cordovanies...

The cordovan fqhh is now buttery soft with losts of character ...
CordovanFQHH.jpg

And the color has developed an amazing character ...
IMGP1788-Kopie.jpg

wdw

One Too Many
Windward, what cordovan shoes do you have? I've just bought Grenson Sid in burgundy to go with my two cordovan jackets and the colour couldn't have been a better match.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Windward, there's one solution to that: Buy a pair of red shoes. :)

I'm interested in the natural horsehide too. If it ages down to a golden colour, which I suspect it will, then it'll look very good eventually.

Windward

Practically Family
Windward, what cordovan shoes do you have? I've just bought Grenson Sid in burgundy to go with my two cordovan jackets and the colour couldn't have been a better match.

These are the other "Mighty Three" ... if you think these models look very similiar...yes you're right:
Alden Shell Cordovan Medaillon Tip Blucher
TheMagicThree.jpg

Before recrafting - just to show the color...
Beforerecrafting.jpg

flying tiger

New in Town
. . . Vintage Windward....not mine but looks stunning:

windwardvintage.jpg
I dont know where did you get this picture but this jacket (and picture) is mine.:shocked:
for info it's a Lee Trevor windward. Lee trevor made replicas jackets in the 90's. this one was bought , new, around 1992/93, not sure. originally russet , i dyed it to black 15 years ago. It's heavy horsehide. the liner was crap and I changed it only some months after buying it. I added a homepaint flying tiger/AVG leather patch and in the back, i painted a flying tiger blood chit patch; wich is of course not historically correct. I still wear it. it stay one of my favorite jacket with a 618 vintage schott perfecto (80's) and my mint G-1 flight jacket vietnam era (1970).

Windward

Practically Family
Hello flying tiger, welcome to the lounge. Thanks for your post and the detailed information. Hard to find on the internet real great pics of windward jackets but your pic is just amazing - congrats. Did not think it was initially russet brown and than dyed. I like the detail of A2 stitching onto the epaulettes.

Do you got fit pics...!?

flying tiger

New in Town
the original dye was not a great quality and after some years, the russet color became very pâle and not in a nice way. that's why i dyed it. the idea was to make a black , knowing that after some years, the black should go away and it is exactly what happened, making an interesting old style finish. Now after 20 years, it is a real old finish lol.
i dont have pictures where i wear it. if i have time i will do it.

Windward

Practically Family
Daily wearer - when the heat allows

Thanks Dinermman for the revival and the pics - interesting look with the patch pockets. Someone would say this one doesn't look too busy ...

Here's my keeper after almost 2 years - AERO's Windward in vintage brown FQHH:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy