Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windy Weather, skirts and dresses [huh]

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Last weekend I wore a halterneckdress with a circle skirt and I had "Marilyn moments" all the time trying to get the skirt down. My boyfriend found it cute... I found it sort of funny as it wasn´t going too up. But now that I know what the wind can do to my skirt I think I´ll at least wear nice panties or/an light petticoats whenever I wear it again... just in case

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I had a fun experience with the wind the other day. :rolleyes: I always wear a slip, but I'm sure I still turned 10,000 shades of red when the wind decided to kick up. I'll have to check into the pettipants suggestion! Great advice from everyone, as per usual!:)

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
Personally, it's half of the fun.

My office has a policy that requires all female employees to wear skirts to work. They're not specific as to the length or style - just that they be withing the realm of reason, so I've recently had a lot of experiences with spring breezes and the hemlines and fabric formations of my skirts. Obviously, I'm here to reaffirm everything you ever heard about the slip. With a dress, you can wear a complete slip but under a skirt, a half slip or simply another, tighter skirt works just as well.

Personally, though? The best medicine, for me, seems to be a sweater. I always have on hand as the weather in the building fluctuates almost as awfully as the weather outside (midwestern weather is notoriously indecisive) so I make it a point to do something with them. With a long, mid-thigh duster length sweater, just putting it on when I get out of the car does the job long enough for me to get in the building. The fabric is light enough to let the skirt move and so that it doesn't look crazy for me to be wearing it in any warm weather and it's effective enough, to keep the sides and back of my skirts down while i do the rest of the job gracefully with a handbag up front. If i dont have a long sweater on or around, I usually (temporarily) wrap whatever other sweater i happen to be carrying around my waist long enough to walk in the building.

It's certainly not an ideal solution for long windy walks on the beach, but in those moments, isn't the subway grate half of the fun?

Oh... and someone earlier mentioned crinolines - i really have to second that as well. I found an adorable pastel blue crinoline at a thirft store and snatched it up. It's not a particularly full one but the color is adorable and it's perfect to throw underneath one of my knee length black satin numbers - super cute with the blue frills peaking out from underneath - super comfortable to walk it and the bulk seems to help things from blowing around. It's also not bad for those awkward moments when you're caught sitting somewhere that isn't conducive to your skirt length. I can't count the number of times i've labored over whether it is more inappropriate to sit, skirt somewhat higher around my legs than I would prefer or stand up in the middle of whatever is going on and readujust.

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
Floaty skirts

I just had the missfortune of flashing everyone in the supermarket car park after work today. One bloke didn't know where to look!:eek:

I got in my car really quickly and WANTED TO DIE!!!!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I must warn any Londoners to be wary of Marble Arch tube station. As you come up the stairs from the platform, near the elevators, it is VERY windy and I have had several Marilyn moments! One time my skirt went completely up, exposing all, but thankfully there was nobody behind me at the time to see :eek:

GirlAnachronism

New in Town
I always wear skirts, or almost always. The one thing I love most about my favorite fashion is the amazing creation that is BLOOMERS. They're cute, comfy, cheap, and they go well with Gothic Lolita. They're basically... Frilly, lacy, poofy panties/shorts. XD
http://www.metamorphose.gr.jp/onlineshop/undergarments/images/104209010029.jpg
Thar is a pair of bloomers from the couture Japanese Lolita brand Metamorphose temps de fille, which I lust after on a daily basis. That particular pair, I think is around $60. :( I get mine from In the Starlight which have cute pairs for around $20 each. So far I've got three pairs from them, and they are very high quality but you definately get what you pay for. If you order from them STAY AWAY FROM THE BO PEEP BLOOMERS. Ohmigod cheap lace.

... Every post I'm making today turns into a Lolita rant. XD

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Nebraska tends to have quite a few windy days, too. It's always mild with a light breeze when I'm indoors, but the moment I decide to trek outside (somewhere heavily populated, of course), the breeze turns into gale winds and the skirt goes up.

I need to invest in a slip or some bloomers :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo