Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Please do, Robert. Thank you.

Yes, I have light grey, light brown and an almost "Natural" colour in the Tonak heather. My supplier no longer stocks them so I was thinking of running a sale on them. If interested I can snap pictures tomorrow to give you an idea of colour.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
Hello again..Gregory here......Fyi, I have been wearing some sort of hat since I was a child...so I come by my hat wearing because that's how I was often dressed by my parents.. ..My father wore a fedora and so did my stepfather in the fifties..I was born in 1950...One might say that the hat wearing stopped being fashionable at some point in the mid to late sixties. Some said it was because the young president of the US ..JFK didn't wear a hat at his inauguration..but that is just an urban myth..Yes he didn't wear a hat but he wasn't the only man that wasn't wearing a hat any longer....Many men just stopped wearing hats ..I believe that it was due to print advertising..in newspapers and magazines...You just didn't see many ads with men wearing hats..so that influenced fashion in my opinion.

Why did men wear hats in the first place?.....Two reasons...to protect them from the elements such as sun and wind and rain...and to keep their heads warm since most of your body heat is lost in your head and in your feet...

Here are some pics from the glory days..when most all men wore a hat....Those of us who love hats..would love to see the return of hats..maybe someday..you never know..ha ha.

Enjoy....these are random...but the last pic of the guy in the striped shirt is me in the Bogart rabbit fur hat that Robert from Wolfbrae made for me...I wear it alot...I am trying to look like a gangster...there is a bit of gangster in all of us don't you think? Lmao
Cheers! Gregory Wilde (thegregorywilde.com)
It fell out of style after the war and led to the cultural rebellion. Hats and even suits went out of the way to what evolved between then to now. Clothes, rock n roll music and various norms changed. If it didn’t change we would all be wearing stuffy suits and hats daily. I don’t think hats back then were fashionable because everyone was wearing one. We are hat lovers so we wish the old day of wearing hats. It only feels fashionable because there are very few us wearing them. I get compliment in how I dress so now that I started to add hats to my wardrobe it enhances my attire even more so because I’m the only one wearing a sweet hat rather than a baseball cap.

It fell out of style after the war and led to the cultural rebellion. Hats and even suits went out of the way to what evolved between then to now. Clothes, rock n roll music and various norms changed. If it didn’t change we would all be wearing stuffy suits and hats daily. I don’t think hats back then were fashionable because everyone was wearing one. We are hat lovers so we wish the old day of wearing hats. It only feels fashionable because there are very few us wearing them. I get compliment in how I dress so now that I started to add hats to my wardrobe it enhances my attire even more so because I’m the only one wearing a sweet hat rather than a baseball cap.
I fitted a client for a new hat yesterday. He is still working in the corporate world and we both are of similar vintage. We waxed nostalgically about the old days (back in the 1980's) when corporate attire required a suit et al. He worked for a multinational consulting firm and he had a corporate mandated uniform. It was part of his contract of employ....Brooks Bros suit, bland tie, white shirt, he had his choice of 3 shoe styles (black in colour) and even the colour of socks and belt. Different times. Now he works from home and holds Zoom meetings in his sweat pants.

As I begin to look at the coming year I look back in gratitude for all my friends here in The Lounge. I am thrilled beyond my wildest at the acceptance of my hat creations. The Lounge has been instrumental in sustaining my work and I shall forever be grateful to you all. I look forward to the new year, anticipating what direction my hat making will take, how will I evolve as a hatter and what challenges I will face. All the best in the discovery of what the new year shall bring us.

Just before dinner we completed a hat making weekend. Two men that had never held a sewing needle in their hands prior to this weekend produced two great hats. The one in the foreground is his version of a Stratoliner but with a wider ribbon. Felt is a dark moss 115gr Ukraine beaver with tone on tone ribbon.

The caramel coloured one in the background is a Tonak rabbit with a dark brown ribbon/bow. This hat will be his grab n go everyday wearer. It was a great weekend, making hats, sharing laughs, and finally showing off the results.
twohats.jpg
20240114_163237.jpg

Just before dinner we completed a hat making weekend. Two men that had never held a sewing needle in their hands prior to this weekend produced two great hats. The one in the foreground is his version of a Stratoliner but with a wider ribbon. Felt is a dark moss 115gr Ukraine beaver with tone on tone ribbon.

The caramel coloured one in the background is a Tonak rabbit with a dark brown ribbon/bow. This hat will be his grab n go everyday wearer. It was a great weekend, making hats, sharing laughs, and finally showing off the results. View attachment 580414 View attachment 580415
I neglected to tell a cool part of the story. The two guys found out about me through my very first student almost 2 years ago now. They asked my student where he got his hat and he replied he had made it in a class taught by a guy that lives in Port Coquitlam. Turns out the two guys live just down the street from me. Their wives contacted me and bought them the workshop as a Christmas present. They do both realize how lucky they are to have wives such as this. The lady in the picture is my wife.....and yes I realize my good fortune as well.

The caramel coloured one in the background is a Tonak rabbit with a dark brown ribbon/bow. This hat will be his grab n go everyday wearer. It was a great weekend, making hats, sharing laughs, and finally showing off the results. View attachment 580414 View attachment 580415

Great hats, great photo, and a great story.

This has become one of my favourite styles of hat. A semi western? This particular one is my version of Timothy Oliphants hat from Deadwood. FEPSA 95gr 100% beaver in Chestnut. Black vintage grosgrain on crown and brim. Hard to believe but this is my first Shark's Gill ribbon. Client wanted something fun for the liner so I had just one of these pin up liners left from my personal stock (purchased from Dogman her
tim1.jpg
tim4.jpg
tim5.jpg
pic6.jpg

This has become one of my favourite styles of hat. A semi western? This particular one is my version of Timothy Oliphants hat from Deadwood. FEPSA 95gr 100% beaver in Chestnut. Black vintage grosgrain on crown and brim. Hard to believe but this is my first Shark's Gill ribbon. Client wanted something fun for the liner so I had just one of these pin up liners left from my personal stock (purchased from Dogman her View attachment 582896 View attachment 582897 View attachment 582898 View attachment 582899

What a great hat, Robert. I’ve promised no more hats for now, but this one temps me.

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
I fitted a client for a new hat yesterday. He is still working in the corporate world and we both are of similar vintage. We waxed nostalgically about the old days (back in the 1980's) when corporate attire required a suit et al. He worked for a multinational consulting firm and he had a corporate mandated uniform. It was part of his contract of employ....Brooks Bros suit, bland tie, white shirt, he had his choice of 3 shoe styles (black in colour) and even the colour of socks and belt. Different times. Now he works from home and holds Zoom meetings in his sweat pants.
I still wear a tie for most of my online meetings, but most of my dress shoes are gathering dust!

This has become one of my favourite styles of hat. A semi western? This particular one is my version of Timothy Oliphants hat from Deadwood. FEPSA 95gr 100% beaver in Chestnut. Black vintage grosgrain on crown and brim. Hard to believe but this is my first Shark's Gill ribbon. Client wanted something fun for the liner so I had just one of these pin up liners left from my personal stock (purchased from Dogman her View attachment 582896 View attachment 582897 View attachment 582898 View attachment 582899
Very cool!

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I really love this style too, I personally like the 3/4 brim curl where the front has a slight down turn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner