Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
It is a very thick dense western felt at 220grams. I pounced the heck out of it and I guess the good news is the dye penetration is good and only after a great deal of pouncing (double blocking/pouncing) did the slight beginnings of shellac core exposure. I would have continued to thin it out if that had not occurred. But I was able to thin it a lot as the original felt was a monster thickness. I think these 50/50 felts would make for great working western hats.

I agree that it’s a decent western felt. It’s not as thin, dense, and firm as a Northwest western using Winchester’s 100% beaver, and it’s not as supple and soft as a Gannon using western nutria fur felt. I guess I’d say it’s just what should be expected from a 50% beaver felt.

The hat fits perfectly, the curl is beautiful, and the color is unique. I’m glad to have such a well-made western in my collection.

I agree that it’s a decent western felt. It’s not as thin, dense, and firm as a Northwest western using Winchester’s 100% beaver, and it’s not as supple and soft as a Gannon using western nutria fur felt. I guess I’d say it’s just what should be expected from a 50% beaver felt.

The hat fits perfectly, the curl is beautiful, and the color is unique. I’m glad to have such a well-made western in my collection.
I have only worked with the Winchester 50/50 western weight and that was a long while ago. Never worked with the Nutria western.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Love that style on you Brent. I sold my only red-toned, rust red hat but I need to get into another one.

My latest Wolfbrae: a 50% beaver western weight made from Ukrainian felt. The build was solid, as expected, but the felt was a bit disappointing. After spending some time with it I’m growing to like it.

The felt is definitely inferior to the 100% beaver felt from Winchester or the 100% nutria felt from Sunrise, but that’s to be expected froM a 50% beaver hat. The color is burnished copper.

View attachment 559115 View attachment 559116 View attachment 559117 View attachment 559118 View attachment 559120

I have only worked with the Winchester 50/50 western weight and that was a long while ago. Never worked with the Nutria western.

You did a great job with this hat!

I think for the near term, many hatters are working with whatever felt they can find. I just bought three FEPSA rabbit fur felt hat bodies just because I don’t know what future availability is going to look like.

You did a great job with this hat!

I think for the near term, many hatters are working with whatever felt they can find. I just bought three FEPSA rabbit fur felt hat bodies just because I don’t know what future availability is going to look like.
I like the FEPSA rabbit felt. The ones I have I think they run small, closer in size to the Tonak rabbit but just a touch bigger. The price is decent and I like the colour selection.

I like the FEPSA rabbit felt. The ones I have I think they run small, closer in size to the Tonak rabbit but just a touch bigger. The price is decent and I like the colour selection.

I worry about them being large enough. My first of the four I’m planning should be completed in a day or two. It was large enough, but consistency in felting is nonexistent. I remember you also expressed concerns that they were floppy and had little of no stiffeners in them. We’ll see.

I worry about them being large enough. My first of the four I’m planning should be completed in a day or two. It was large enough, but consistency in felting is nonexistent. I remember you also expressed concerns that they were floppy and had little of no stiffeners in them. We’ll see.
Yes, very much like the Tonak ...maybe even slightly more floppy. I have been spooked by the price increases so I have been stocking up on felts. I have waaay overbought and the damn frustrating part is I am still short on certain colours.

Yes, very much like the Tonak ...maybe even slightly more floppy. I have been spooked by the price increases so I have been stocking up on felts. I have waaay overbought and the damn frustrating part is I am still short on certain colours.
I have picked up the 115gr Ukraine beaver and a bunch of Winchester dress weight in light colours...Bone mostly and am about to begin a grand experiment in dyeing the felts with natural dyes to create my own palette of colours.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Just a suggestion, Brent, but have you tried a Montana crease (or more front to back slope on what you have) or a Montana peak on that one? I suppose the rolled brim wants me to see a taller, more accentuated crown.

My latest Wolfbrae: a 50% beaver western weight made from Ukrainian felt. The build was solid, as expected, but the felt was a bit disappointing. After spending some time with it I’m growing to like it.

The felt is definitely inferior to the 100% beaver felt from Winchester or the 100% nutria felt from Sunrise, but that’s to be expected froM a 50% beaver hat. The color is burnished copper.

View attachment 559115 View attachment 559116 View attachment 559117 View attachment 559118 View attachment 559120

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Just a suggestion, Brent, but have you tried a Montana crease (or more front to back slope on what you have) or a Montana peak on that one? I suppose the rolled brim wants me to see a taller, more accentuated crown.
That's along my line of thinking too, (a Montana Pinch with a mule kick in the back), and more of a Cowboy Curl to the brim. Something similar to Costner's 'Open Range' movie hat. I think with his size and proportions that style would actually look good on him.

Attachments

• open-range-weites-land-kevin-costner-25-1-r-rcm260x260u.jpg
    open-range-weites-land-kevin-costner-25-1-r-rcm260x260u.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 37

I have a few hats with that sort of crease. This particular hat has a crown of 6 inches or a bit less. I think a Montana or a Gus needs a taller crown to look right to me.

Yes, I would agree. It would need a taller crown (7"?) with some taper to it in order to match the one in the picture.

I remember you speaking of this hat as something akin to the Akubra Kentucky Rancher and that’s how I look at it too. It’s a very nice hat that I’m liking more as I spend more time with it.

I did try a cattleman’s crease, but the crown has just a bit too much taper for that to look right to me.

I remember you speaking of this hat as something akin to the Akubra Kentucky Rancher and that’s how I look at it too. It’s a very nice hat that I’m liking more as I spend more time with it.

I did try a cattleman’s crease, but the crown has just a bit too much taper for that to look right to me.
As it sat on my bench before being boxed up I began seeing as leaving it open crown. But seeing your bash I think it looks better than open.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
@T Jones Terry and I were just being discreet, we didn't want to shame you into getting yet another Wolfbrae!!!

Looks great, Brent, Great build, Robert.

I have a few hats with that sort of crease. This particular hat has a crown of 6 inches or a bit less. I think a Montana or a Gus needs a taller crown to look right to me.

Yes, I would agree. It would need a taller crown (7"?) with some taper to it in order to match the one in the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy