Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot review

IndianaGeo

New in Town
I recently purchased a pair of the new Wolverine 1000 Mile boots and thought I’d share my thoughts, impressions, and verdict in case anyone is interested. Of course, all the opinions expressed are just my opinions. I have no affiliation to Wolverine or to any competitor. This is just my own take on the shoes.

The boots come in a sturdy nicely designed box which I appreciate. When I opened the box, I could immediately smell a waft of good leather scent. Upon further inspection, the colour of the boots are outstanding. I got them in brown. It’s a rich, dark brown with a slight tinge of “ox blood” colour to them. The colour is not nearly as burgundy as the dark cherry brown found on Red Wings’ Gentleman Traveler boots. I must say, the colour on the 1000 Mile boots is one of the most impressive I’ve seen… goes well with either jeans or khakis.

The leather thickness of the boot is solid and feels like it could take a beating. The stitching affixing the upper to the sole is well done also. The interior leather of the boot is of the split kind, not top grain. I sort of expected top grain on the inside. I’m not an expert on boots. Is split grain better or worse for the inside of a shoe/boot or does it matter? The boots felt lighter on my feet than I expected. This can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. Another ounce or so might have made me feel that I was wearing a more substantial boot. Then again, I might thank Wolverine if I had to walk a big chunk out of those 1000 miles on any given day.

The sole is leather and reasonably thick, while the heel is rubber. I would expect the sole to last quite a long time. I liked the look of the sole.

The toe area is somewhat less bulbous than, say, the Red Wing GTs although I wouldn’t call it extraordinarily stylish by any means. The Wolverine’s appear to be of a rather generic style and while I sort of expected this, I was also hoping that I’d be surprised somehow by some subtle stylishness in shape. The toe of the boot basically looks like a big thumb. While I suppose this is expected of an authentic retro work boot, it nevertheless isn’t the ideal for me personally. While guys might be impressed with the look and style of the boot, I imagine women may "ho hum" over it. Then again, do men understand women and vice versa anyway??

The only meaningful drawback for me with these boots was the fit (a bit too much play in the heel area) and the fact that there was a small defect along the top rim of one of the boots. There appeared to be some separation of leather layers there cause by, I think, lack of proper gluing. In fact, there were even a couple of pin holes where I could see light coming through and I could imagine, over time, this area would eventually give way to tearing. Ultimately, after shelling out over $350 (with taxes and shipping), I felt these boots had to go back. I just couldn’t see spending that much and not have things just right. Ah, the perils of purchasing goods without trying them on first!

Verdict: Overall , I think Wolverine has a very good product here. The question becomes one of value in my opinion. The leather appears to be of a high quality. Aside from the small defect I pointed out above, the workmanship appears to be very good. The boots have a rather generic style (which some may or may not prefer), but this is surely a function of the fact that they were intended to be a re- introduction of an old classic model. Whether you feel the $325+ price tag is worth it is up to you. For me, everything has to go right at this price. If I run into a situation where I can find the right fit at a good price, maybe I’ll go for it. Until then, my search for that perfect boot continues. I hope this helps anyone out there considering these boots.

Cheers,
IndianaGeo

Doublegun

Practically Family
Wow, that's disappointing. I have yet to find a retailer that is actually going to be carrying them. I doubt that I'll consider a pair now unless I can see them first. I am also a little surprised about the price point. Seems a little high especially when you can pick up RW GT's for $75-$100 less and for another $75 you can pick up White's.

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Don't be too disappointed

Doublegun said:
Wow, that's disappointing. I have yet to find a retailer that is actually going to be carrying them. I doubt that I'll consider a pair now unless I can see them first. I am also a little surprised about the price point. Seems a little high especially when you can pick up RW GT's for $75-$100 less and for another $75 you can pick up White's.

Hi Doublegun,
I agree you should see them first. I don't think you'll be disappointed if the boot has no flaws to it and fits right. You can get them from Scoop NYC (check their website) but you have to phone them as I don't think they do internet sales at this time. I could be wrong on that. Also, there may be other online retailers popping up soon that carry them.

I'm going to check out RedWing GTs today to compare the two brands a bit more. What I liked about the Wolverine's is their mostly leather sole. I believe the GTs have rubber soles entirely. I'm looking for a slightly dressy yet durable everyday boot and the Wolverine 1000Mile comes very very close to that ideal for me. I'm looking at the White's as well. Those look compelling. I'm finding my style preference is now expanding into all sorts of areas I'd not considered before (for example, White's Packer boots..amazing)! When will this affliction end! :eusa_doh:

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Size fitting

Feraud said:
Do these run true to size?

I typically wear a 10 1/2. I ordered the Wolverine in a 10 1/2. With thick socks on there was some slight wiggle room which was tolerable. Your mileage may vary. I think there's always a risk of variation in sizing. I think it's best to just order your true size and test it out.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I am going to be in NYC next weekend and may pay a call on Scoop NYC. Their Darby boot is the one I am actually after.

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Photos

swisschalet said:
Did you take any pictures of the boots?

I took a couple of photos of the part of the boot that wasn't quite glued down correctly. They're extreme close ups and not really worth posting on TFL. I know I should have taken more photos of the boots. Again, nice boot.. with split lining ( I would have preferred top grain).. Awesome colour.. love the colour. Maybe someone else out there has some photos they can share.

swisschalet

New in Town
What gets me is the bulbousness of the toe. The pictures on the site make it look lower profile but of the few actual pictures I've seen floating around the web, it looks almost as bulbous as the gentleman traveler. If it had a toe profile like the alden indys, I'd probably get them.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Saw the 1000 Mile boots this afternoon at Scoops. BIG disappointment. I'll pass. They are neither fish, nor fowl - not dress shoes, not dress boots, not casual boots. Red Wings or Whites, much better looking boot for the money.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Neat Red Wings

I have a pair of these (Red Wing 4451) that I'm currently breaking in:

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1420

When I leave off the fringe-y thing at the base of the laces, the boot looks very similar to the knee-high brown boots some US officers wore in the 1940s. Nice tapered toe, surprisingly elegant for something billed as a "work boot."

Two minor gripes: The steel toe slows (doesn't stop) the breaking in process, and I'd prefer a 6" rise to the 8" rise that they sell. Still, looks great under a pair of khakis or jeans, also makes a good appearance with a kilt!

Trog

mike

Call Me a Cab
Any new opinions of any of these shoes/boots? Out of curiosity, I was thinking of heading to that Scoop store on 14th and 6th Ave in NYC to check em out in person.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
Any new opinions of any of these shoes/boots? Out of curiosity, I was thinking of heading to that Scoop store on 14th and 6th Ave in NYC to check em out in person.

I'd love to hear what you have to say about them. I've been thinking about boots lately and have considered Red Wings (subsequently ruled out as uncomfortable), the 1000 milers, White's (I look at your photos regularly), and maybe even the Alden 405 with something added to the sole (cat's paws?).

mike

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
I'd love to hear what you have to say about them. I've been thinking about boots lately and have considered Red Wings (subsequently ruled out as uncomfortable), the 1000 milers, White's (I look at your photos regularly), and maybe even the Alden 405 with something added to the sole (cat's paws?).

lol thanks! When the White's bug bites... it bites hard! I have to say, I find both pairs of White's I own squeak when I walk. In one case infrequently, in the other often.. I was thinking about what would be best to do about that... Any thoughts?! I don't want to give them up but sometimes I do sound like a little mouse :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran