Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool tartan lining

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I see light wool lining's in many Aeros - I especially like the weathered Grant tartan. Does this wear as well as cotton drill and would it be significantly warmer? I live in a warm climate but drill feels fine. Any thoughts?

wdw

One Too Many
If cotton drill is like the black stuff I had in a HWM until I swapped it over, then I'd say the lightest weight wool tartan is cooler and probably harder wearing. I'd also say moleskin was tougher than either, albeit warmer.

I have two Weathered Grants and think it looks great with cordovan, but it would be just as nice with black or brown.

I see light wool lining's in many Aeros - I especially like the weathered Grant tartan. Does this wear as well as cotton drill and would it be significantly warmer? I live in a warm climate but drill feels fine. Any thoughts?

I don't notice any difference in warmth with my tartan wool lined Aero's and cotton twill. It's not a thick wool at all.
Aero doesn't line the sleeves with it...using the cotton twill in the sleeves.
Re; wear...so far mine has done fine. After 20 years....I can't say.

The wool is more,comfortable to me. Looks better too. I also wear wool socks all year long. Many are surprised you sweat less in good wool than in cotton. For me, no more drill linings.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have an Aero Barnstormer with the brown cotton drill lining which is perfect for southern Oz. The lining is very robust and comfortable.

I'd personally be wary of having an Aero with wool lining here in Oz, as I'd say it would significantly reduce the number of days you could wear it comfortably.

Just my 2c worth.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Teamster has a moleskin body shell lining and cotton drill sleeves. My Highwayman is lined completely with cotton drill. I live in a warmer clime (N central Texas). At this point I believe I prefer moleskin over cotton drill for body lining. I suspect that both moleskin and cotton drill will outlast the light weight wool that Aero generally uses.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The wool is extremely light and hard wearing. Don't think of it in terms of woolly jumper thickness, more of cotton sheet weight and quite breathable. It's still warm in winter, but you need to layer with it.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I don't think that there is much difference in the warmth of the lightweight (Riever) tartans and cotton drill, and wool is much harder wearing than you may think.

D

Yup - wool can be surprising. I've been wearing my Ventura with a light wool lining and it's just not hot at all. It breathes and is comfortable. I like the way it looks and wears better too. Drill starts to look shabby rather fast, and it's awful in sleeves. I wish I had gone satin or sateen in the sleeves of the HBD. When putting on certain shirts/sweaters, it grabs. Just my 2¢ and then some...

Seb, I own a half dozen Aero's their standard weight wool tartan lining.
More than that number of jackets with cotton twill lining.
I live where the summer time temperature routinely gets above 100 degrees F in the summer.
Evening temps drop down into the 70's-80's.
The deciding factor in whether I grab one of my Aero jackets when I go out for the night is not it's wool lining. It's wether it's too hot to wear a leather jacket.
Aero's tartan wool is NO WARMER than their cotton drill.
I am one of those people who is very sensitive to wool. I can not wear wool sweaters very often because of how it makes my skin itch. My thermostat runs warm to begin with...I start sweating just looking at a wool sweater.
Aero's wool tartan does not feel like wool. It feels like cotton. Only less stiff than their cotton drill. ...ie, more comfortable.

wdw

One Too Many
Yeah, it seems people might have misconceptions regarding the lightweight wool. To me it's light and cool, more so than cotton, and absolutely nothing like a woollen jumper.

Seb, I own a half dozen with Aero's their standard weight wool tartan lining.
I live where the summer time temperature routinely gets above 100 degrees F.
The deciding factor in whether I grab one of my Aero jackets when I go out for the night is not it's wool lining. It's whether it's too hot to wear a leather jacket at all.
I am one of those people who is very sensitive to wool. I can not wear wool sweaters very often because of how it makes my skin itch. I have to have a full length sleeve shirt underneath..and the collar can not be too snug.
My thermostat runs warm to begin with...I start sweating just looking at a wool sweater.
Aero's wool tartan does not feel like wool. It feels like cotton. Only less stiff than their cotton drill. ...ie, more comfortable.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I have a cotton drill lining in my highwayman and it's the perfect size for layering. If I don't want warmth I go for a cotton or merino type sweater. If it is cold I go for a shetland sweater. If it's super cold then the big guns come out: mohair or aran sweaters. This way the jacket can be worn in all but the warmest weather when I don't want a leather jacket on anyway. I'd recomend the small (shoulder only) action back for this approach, it means you won't suffer restricted movement while wearing 2.5 inch thick mohair wool. The downside is that I'm not super happy with how the jacket looks when I'm only wearing a t shirt underneath.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, it seems people might have misconceptions regarding the lightweight wool. To me it's light and cool, more so than cotton, and absolutely nothing like a woollen jumper.

Misconception may be the wrong word. As a general principle cotton is known for its summertime properties, wool is synonymous with winter. You may well be right about the thin wool tartan in this instance, but you can see why people might have this view.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a cotton drill lining in my highwayman and it's the perfect size for layering. If I don't want warmth I go for a cotton or merino type sweater. If it is cold I go for a shetland sweater. If it's super cold then the big guns come out: mohair or aran sweaters. This way the jacket can be worn in all but the warmest weather when I don't want a leather jacket on anyway. I'd recomend the small (shoulder only) action back for this approach, it means you won't suffer restricted movement while wearing 2.5 inch thick mohair wool. The downside is that I'm not super happy with how the jacket looks when I'm only wearing a t shirt underneath.

Sorry Highwaymanman, interesting but I'm not sure this relates to my question. I live in a warm climate. I need to know if a woolen lining is less comfortable than a cotton one.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Seb, I own a half dozen with Aero's their standard weight wool tartan lining.
I live where the summer time temperature routinely gets above 100 degrees F.
The deciding factor in whether I grab one of my Aero jackets when I go out for the night is not it's wool lining. It's whether it's too hot to wear a leather jacket at all.
I am one of those people who is very sensitive to wool. I can not wear wool sweaters very often because of how it makes my skin itch. I have to have a full length sleeve shirt underneath..and the collar can not be too snug.
My thermostat runs warm to begin with...I start sweating just looking at a wool sweater.

Interesting information Jeff. Over here summer days are regularly over 100 degrees too. But we also have a dreadful humidity that can make a cooler day seem hot and sticky. Winter is bloody cold in terms of wind chill but not in terms of actual temperature. I'm thinking of getting a brown HH half belt from Insurrection with the tartan lining. I reckon I can wear this for around 4 months of each year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn