Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 USAAF A4 Flying Jacket. Rarity and construction issue.

rick howarth

New in Town
Which WW2 USAAF sheepskin flying jacket is the rarest ? I would have guessed the AN-J4 because of its late introduction and limited production run. Am I correct ?

I have an AN-J4 made by Poughkeepsie and I am struck by its strength and quality but one of the two rear panels is in two pieces joined by a diagonal seam. The construction of the jacket shows that it's clearly not a repair but I,m surprised to see what looks like economy in materials in an American jacket.
I know such economies dictated the production of Irvins but didn't expect it in an A4. Any information out there ?

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have seen AN-J4s where some of the panels were spliced in the factory. There is one on Ebay where the left hand back panel has been constructed in thus way.

rick howarth

New in Town
Yes Andrew, it is definately a splice and not a repair. I didn't realise this was done but it's understandable, after all they weren't produced as fashion items. Would it be correct to say that from a collectability standpoint the AN-J4 isn't that popular.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
They don't seem to garner as much interest as e.g. a B-3, although they appear to be a more practical jacket in use. Similar situation to the AN-J-3/A-2 I guess: the latter is more wearable, but the former is more iconic.

rick howarth

New in Town
I also read somewhere that these jackets were used by the US Navy and interestingly on the buckles of the side belts there is embossed a tiny anchor. You really have to look for it to find it.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes Andrew, it is definately a splice and not a repair. I didn't realise this was done but it's understandable, after all they weren't produced as fashion items. Would it be correct to say that from a collectability standpoint the AN-J4 isn't that popular.

B-3s are more popular and fetch more in auctions. Original AN-J4s tend to be in smaller sizes (sizes 36-40) and this restricts their appeal as many collectors who might wear their original jackets tend to be larger than this today!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Which WW2 USAAF sheepskin flying jacket is the rarest ? I would have guessed the AN-J4 because of its late introduction and limited production run. Am I correct ?

I have an AN-J4 made by Poughkeepsie and I am struck by its strength and quality but one of the two rear panels is in two pieces joined by a diagonal seam. The construction of the jacket shows that it's clearly not a repair but I,m surprised to see what looks like economy in materials in an American jacket.
I know such economies dictated the production of Irvins but didn't expect it in an A4. Any information out there ?

I had an original one in a largish size(44), loved it better than a B3 for style, at least it's symmetrical. I also had an M445A that had a join as you describe. It was sewn with that kind of zig zag stitching up the back agin in an almost diagonal line.
The differences are the ANJ4 has a large 1 piece fleece back where as the M445 series, certainly mine, had two piece back split vertical and covered with a leather strip and of course diamond shape goatskin elbow protection.
I have a photo some place of both these jackets but need to find them and scan as they are not stored on my comp.
As Andrew says B3s appear to be more popular so fetch better money.
My opinion, and I have owned both originals and repro's, the B3 is a great jacket but has an almost useless pocket, ok to stuff gloves in but they can fall out easy etc. The original B3 zip looks odd having a covering over one side only. (Eastman once upon a time offered to cover both sides of the zip tape). The ANJ4 is a much better design with its symetry, the only thing that looks odd is the triangular oxy clip patch attached to some versions(which most repros dont have).
My opinions only so dont hang me for it please.
Great jacket, enjoy it, it's authentic but a repro producer would not get away with it.
John(ex collector of WWII jackets)

rick howarth

New in Town
Andrews comments about smaller size rings true. Mine is a 38 although the sizing is quite generous. On a couple of photos showing WW2 pilots wearing them the sleeves look short and this is the case with mine. It occured to me that this might be a design characteristic for some reason [ or is it me just trying to squeeze into too small a jacket ].
Useful information John and Andrew, thankyou.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Here is my original ANJ4. Sorry cant remember the maker but it was a big size, probably around a 42-44.
Poppers on pockets were uncovered brass, did not look like replacements. Either that or they had been there a long time. Oh! And the cuffs have been turned back
For those unaware, the small triangular leather patch was for a clip to hold the oxygen mask from dropping down, or something like that. It is like a triangular pocket on its side.

P1230004.jpg

And my M445A.
All trim is in goat
This jacket was in as best condition as you could get apart from a moth bite on one shoulder. Fleece was mint inside, as warm as an Irvin but sorry to say at around 40 years old I out grew it

P1230009.jpg

P1230011.jpg

And here is a B3 Roughwear back view.
Nice to look at but please don't put it on.(£150 at Beltring War and Peace)

P1230012.jpg

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Very nice jackets Rocketeer, thanks. Did you clean the ANJ4 sheepskin ? Mine is quite soiled.

No, it was just a nice clean jacket.
many of these were used for other purposes post war, motorcycling was very popular and dirty. Check out the cult film 'The Wild One' with Marlon Brando and Lee Marvin. As the Lee Marvins gang of bikers ride into Town(it is meant to be Hollister California) lots of different jackets can be spotted including A2s possibly B3s ANJ4s and other sheepskins plus other vintage leathers.
You could find it on You Tube ; round about 9: 48 into the clip.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxLBLa220IU
'Johhny'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner